So what is the reason for no Combo edges in the salt lineup?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JLS

Post by JLS »

I'd propose that another possible reason is the different levels of edge holding. I have a couple of PE Salts that are nothing spectacular with regard to edge holding, while the SE Salts are impressive in edge holding. To combine them on the same blade would likely make the average user wonder what's going on.

It's true that there are the Caspians and the latest Catcherman that buck the trend, though neither one is likely to get into the hands of many uninformed ELU's. Most of the users of the Caspian are probably grateful to have a dive knife that even remotely holds an edge and the average USN Catcherman ELU is probably an knife nut, so he already knows what he's getting.

I haven't used my Caspian enough to really show a difference, but I have touched up the PE section a few times while not having had to touch the serrations yet.
42 Spyderco fixed blades and counting...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I recall a visit to the SFO a couple of years ago. When you'd spend X amount of dollars you'd get a free Delica. I got three of those (I stopped by multiple times) and they were all CE. Must have been seriously overstocked.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
aicolainen

Re: So what is the reason for no Combo edges in the salt lineup?

Post by aicolainen »

I realize this is an old thread, but I'm not too heavily engaged with this topic, so it just didn't feel right to start a new thread based on a whim that might very quickly dissipate into nothing.

So here's the thing.
Like I initially avoided SE, I've continued to deliberately avoid CE, even after Evil D and some other's here helped break my misconceptions about SE.
And for once I've been very successful at something. There is not a single CE blade in my possession. Not even in my growing col.. selection of multitools is there any CE to be found.
So, lately I've been playing with the idea of giving CE a chance. I want it to be Spyderco, as to make sure only the CE part of the equation will be new to me. I think this will reduce the risk of me getting a worse experience with CE than really necessary, as opposed to throwing some poorly executed serrations into the mix, that may end up skewing my impressions in the wrong direction.

Knowing that CE is so often hated on, I've been monitoring the domestic secondary market for a steal to emerge, but apparently they don't come around very often. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, if very few buy them in the first place.

So while I continue to hope for something used to come along, I just started to think about what I would get if patience runs out and I decide to buy something new. Well, one of my first thoughts was that I would want it to be a Salt.
Having not really paid attention to CE before, I was quite surprised to realize there are no Salt folders available with this edge finish (not counting the Assist).
I'm obviously a novice when it comes to CE, but if I were to justify one, I could imagine a CE Salt making sense. Something like a mid sized, drop point that could be a convenient jack of all trades for quick trips out with the boat or keeping it light and compact when out in the kayak.

I'm not complaining or requesting more variations, just surprised of my discovery and sharing my thoughts.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i see most of the se salt knives as combo edges already (minus the atlantic). on/in the water (or in an emergency), i really want all the teeth i can get, but i really appreciate the small plain edge portion at the tips. it's enough to give me a clean cut if i need it, but still gives me a lot of teeth for cutting cordage, webbing, etc.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

In a sense you’re right, LB.
For things like finishing cuts on a cutting board, the PE portion of the “full” SE makes a world of difference, but for a true CE that I’ll predominantly use as a PE, I’d want the PE position to be longer.

Keep in mind this is all very hypothetical. I’m making up reasons to try something I probably don’t need. But like many things knife related, I just want to try it, if for no other reason than to expand my horizons and make up my own opinion.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

aicolainen wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:10 pm
In a sense you’re right, LB.
For things like finishing cuts on a cutting board, the PE portion of the “full” SE makes a world of difference, but for a true CE that I’ll predominantly use as a PE, I’d want the PE position to be longer.

Keep in mind this is all very hypothetical. I’m making up reasons to try something I probably don’t need. But like many things knife related, I just want to try it, if for no other reason than to expand my horizons and make up my own opinion.
it's not a salt, but have you considered a s35vn resilience in ce? that's a good knife to try it in because you basically still get two smaller blades worth of steel in one. if i was going to get a combo edge, that would be the one for me.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

People's uses differ, so I don't wanna sound like what works for me should work for everyone, but once I figured out the sharpening side of serrations, i switched and haven't looked back. I've just passed 5 years of only using SE and I've only used PE when I'm trying out other steels like my MagnaCut mule. In that time I honestly can not think of one instance where I felt handicapped or at a disadvantage or thought that I would be better off with PE. I'm sure those kinds of cutting jobs are out there but I must not encounter them.

My point is, I don't know what I'd do with a combo edge. I guess maybe if I did a lot of wood carving or something where I cared about how the carved wood looked afterwards? Maybe if I was doing some serious bushcraft or something I might want two knives just to have both edges covered. I wouldn't want to skin a deer with serrations but I haven't done that since I was a kid anyway.

When I first started using serrations more I would carry two knives, because this nagging "what if" that I couldn't get past. Then the PE knife got reduced to a Ladybug on my keys. Today that Ladybug is SE too. I do have a PE blade on my multitool but it only ever gets used if someone asks to borrow a knife lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

@LB, From a pure edge (of each type) length perspective, a Resilience CE makes sense, but for getting acquainted with CE I’d probably be better off with something closer to my size and weight preference, that’ll increase the likelihood of it being carried. I think something along the lines of a Tenacious CE will be a very good starting point, but I’d certainly prefer linerless and a salty steel if I could have it ;)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:28 pm
When I first started using serrations more I would carry two knives, because this nagging "what if" that I couldn't get past. Then the PE knife got reduced to a Ladybug on my keys. Today that Ladybug is SE too. I do have a PE blade on my multitool but it only ever gets used if someone asks to borrow a knife lol.
i carry two for multiple reasons. i prefer to cut with pe even though i love se and am fully aware that it's capable of the same jobs. but pe is easier to touch up occasionally also, so i do standard cutting with it and reserve my se for backup, emergency situations, and any job that is actually better-handled by se. if i want to slim things down and only carry one knife, it is going to be se though. i usually only carry my pac salt when working out. if i'm doing other activities, it's my caribbean or ayoob for times i only want one knife.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

@Evil D, I totally agree. You convinced me that the urban legends giving serrations a bad rap, were mostly heresy and not based on personal experience.
While I still prefer PE for most of my use (I won’t derail the thread going into details, but I think you’d understand), I’ve come to like SE a lot. And like you, I wouldn’t be worried having only a SE blade with me on occasions where that is a relevant choice.
Giving CE a try is just about trying something new. Some people obviously buy CE for one reason or the other, I’m just curious if I’ll ever understand what it’s all about. Probably not, but I’ll be one experience richer (and a few dollars poorer).

This thread, or my resurrection of it, wasn’t even supposed to be about me though. It was a more general curiosity as to why, if there’s a demand for CE at all, isn’t there enough demand for CE Salts to have any in the lineup?
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I'd like some.
Can't imagine how they'd fare worse than the non-salt CE that already exist.
MNOSD member 0011
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I can see no reason not to like them, if you like them. I just don't. I guess I relate them to analog/digital watches. I don't like those either. If you do though, I can see some advantages.
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’d like some. I like them myself, but mostly for my Dad who prefers CE and because the best knives for him would really be Salts.
He’s currently using a VG10 CE saber ground Endura, but a CE H1/H2 Pacific would be better.
He’d probably want something with a less rounded tip, but that can be modded.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Over my "Knife Carrying Life" I've actually had two combo edged blades I've put into rotation over the years. And for a brief, short time I had a combo edged version of the Spyderco RENEGADE model which I found to be quite a nice EDC for it's time.

There are certainly good reasons that a combo edged blade would come in extremely handy at times. And the SALT Series would be a great section of Spyderco's main line up that a combo edged blade could really fill a void for hard working men and women.

If I had anything to say about it there would be at least a couple of models in the SALT Series that would offer up a combo edged blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I still say this is the combo edge we all need, whether you realize it or not :winking-tongue

PE at the heel where hard carving cuts happen, SE in the middle where material would normally slip off the blade, and a bit of PE at the tip for delicate scalpel style cutting. Other brands have done them this way, I'm just waiting for the Kings of serrations to do it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Early prototype I assume? Being as it doesn't yet have the Magnacut blade and coated titanium lockbar and hardwear that the salty production model will have
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

When I worked on a farm, which did everything from growing crops and baling straw/hay to raising upland game birds, a combo edge was easily the best edge type. You get some dirty and gritty things to cut that serrated works better for, like wads of baler twine that got wrapped around the blades/shaft of a mower. But then you have tasks where you want the front part to be a plain edge. I have to assume that the people who look down on partially serrated edges just haven't worked in a dirty environment with a wide variety of tasks. I only carry a plain edge now, but I'll always appreciate the combo edge for farm work.

But that being said... all the farm workers I knew had a fairly cheap knife and probably wouldn't pay $100+ for one. The only pocket tool they'd spend that much on is a Leatherman.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:13 am
I still say this is the combo edge we all need, whether you realize it or not :winking-tongue

PE at the heel where hard carving cuts happen, SE in the middle where material would normally slip off the blade, and a bit of PE at the tip for delicate scalpel style cutting. Other brands have done them this way, I'm just waiting for the Kings of serrations to do it.
^This is the Way
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
brj

Post by brj »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:13 am

That would be one of the (very) few Spydercos I'd be interested in