Smaller Portable Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BonnieDoon

Smaller Portable Sharpmaker

Post by BonnieDoon »

I was wondering if Sal and the Spyderco team had thought of a producing a smaller portable sharpmaker that would be easy to carry in your pack on a regular basis. Just a thought.
Viva La :spyder:

My :spyder: knives:
Endura 4 PE
Endure 4 SE
Foliage Green Delica 4 CE
Purple Endura 4 FFG
White Delica 4 CE
Aqua Salt SE
Dragonfly Salt PE
fliktrik

Post by fliktrik »

I think there was a thread about this awhile back... I believe there were at least some tentative plans/ideas re. producing such a thing.
Domanfp

Post by Domanfp »

Yeah this has been brought up before.
-Frank

Delica and Endura are great knives! They're the low priced crack samples that'll get you hooked on spyderco! Feed the need!
-Michael Cook
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd welcome a true pocket size Golden Stone, I'd imagine that could do the trick.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
sal

Post by sal »

I carry a regular Golden Stone when I travel. I also have a fixture that sets it at 30 degrees. We're working on a smaller Tri-Angle sharpmaker. the design is finished, but it's still in Engineering. Then tooling. Still a ways out. Pretty cool though.

It's not pocket sized. We have many small stones that can be carried in a pocket and there are a variety of other abrasives available that are small. This sharpener is as small as we could make it and still hae 5" of abrasive.

sal
jnichols2

Post by jnichols2 »

If they make one that still works similar to the full size one, I'll buy it.
Ladybug, Delica x 2, Endura x 2, Military Black, Manix 2 XL, Civilian, Harpy, Caly 3.5 CF ZDP-189, Sage 1
BonnieDoon

Post by BonnieDoon »

Thanks Sal! That's awesome to hear!. I look forward to seeing what you have come up with :)
Viva La :spyder:

My :spyder: knives:
Endura 4 PE
Endure 4 SE
Foliage Green Delica 4 CE
Purple Endura 4 FFG
White Delica 4 CE
Aqua Salt SE
Dragonfly Salt PE
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:I carry a regular Golden Stone when I travel. I also have a fixture that sets it at 30 degrees. We're working on a smaller Tri-Angle sharpmaker. the design is finished, but it's still in Engineering. Then tooling. Still a ways out. Pretty cool though.

It's not pocket sized. We have many small stones that can be carried in a pocket and there are a variety of other abrasives available that are small. This sharpener is as small as we could make it and still hae 5" of abrasive.

sal
Say this fixture that sets the GOLDENSTONE at 30 degrees? Is that something that will be for sale, available for us to buy sometime in the future?
That just sounds really cool and I'm sure gives the GOLDENSTONE a lot more versatility. I love my GOLDENSTONE and DUCKFOOT both and want to learn more about them.
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

sal wrote:I carry a regular Golden Stone when I travel. I also have a fixture that sets it at 30 degrees. We're working on a smaller Tri-Angle sharpmaker. the design is finished, but it's still in Engineering. Then tooling. Still a ways out. Pretty cool though.

sal
I really should get a Golden Stone, I must try it out 'on the road' .
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

The Fold A Vee comes pretty close to perfect, it's what I carry in my pack. Basically as $13 folding sharpmaker that does 25 and 17 degree edges.

http://www.good-kit.com/lansky-fold-a-v ... sharpener/
rycen

Post by rycen »

I think Sal might be familiar with the Fold A Vee.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

ill be buying a smaller sharp maker for carry
sal

Post by sal »

Hi JD,

Making the fixture available in production is the plan.

Hi Mark,

The "fold-A-Vee" was one of my inventions. Sold it to Lansky years ago.

sal
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Sal, you're a riot. Seriously.

Love the Golden Stone by the way.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
vinito

Post by vinito »

David Lowry wrote:Sal, you're a riot. Seriously.

Love the Golden Stone by the way.
Wait, was he joking or what :confused:
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

vinito wrote:Wait, was he joking or what :confused:
Nope, not joking. He invented it. The guy just has invented so much it made me laugh (in a good way). :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

sal wrote:
Hi Mark,

The "fold-A-Vee" was one of my inventions. Sold it to Lansky years ago.

sal
Hey Sal,

I had given you credit for the design in my review, but I would just like to say, thank you for inventing this miraculous device. It's really changed my (sharpening) life, as I now constantly have a sharpener with me when I'm out of the house, or when I travel. It's really awesome.

I keep it in my "toolitries kit," and it has come in handy many, many times since I bought it.

bodydamage

Post by bodydamage »

This would be perfect for me. I have been trying to cobble together something like this for a while now. I travel alot for work and sharpen in the down time to pass the time. I love my Sharpmaker, but something smaller would be perfect. Let me know when it out, and Ill be the first in line.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I can see how hitting angles more exactly with a fixed-station setup would be ideal when you get home. While traveling for basic maintenance the fine stones of the 701 profiles are all I use. I can imagine products like the Doublestuff, Goldenstone, file set, or the various flat stones would be great as well.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

David Lowry wrote:Love the Golden Stone by the way.
Ditto, Sal. I know it took you guys a lot of "sweat and tears" to get the Golden Stone to market. It is a beautiful piece of kit!

TedP