We (I) need a titanium Ladybug!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Blerv wrote:Hey Ken. Would you say it's not hypoallergenic? I know it's used in surgical tools and prosthetics along with jewelry but just going on what I've heard.
I'm not sure if one could be allergic to titanium but I think it's referred to as being bio compatible.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Fluted or non fluted, I'm in! :D
I'd like the backspacer and the spring to be made out of titanium as well, especially if they use H1 for the blade. Although ZDP-189 would compliment the package nicely.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd like to see this Titanium Ladybug with divots in the handle to facilitate grip changes for MBC! ;)

I'd really love a tiny fluted model, uber-high cool factor.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
sal

Post by sal »

Interesting notion. If we try to do all that is asked, Ken's $300 will look cheap. ;)

As for Ti, some Ti alloys can go into the body as well as some Cobalt alloys. Ti is a very tough material, but doesn't wear as well as steel. I don't think I'd use it for a lock on a lockback but it makes a great lock for a RIL or Linerlock. Great for springs. Maybe Cliff can add some "Tidge-u-cation"?

So, coming right up:

1 Titanium scaled Ladybug (with ti backspacer and spring for Dialex)
1 Titanium scaled Jester (probably need filework backspacer for this bloke)
1 Titanium scaled Manbug (steel backspacer for contrast)
1 Brass scaled Ladybug for Blerv.

We can use VG-10, ZDP-189, H1 or Takefu VG-10 Damascus.

Scratches, wrinkles, calluses and gray hair are classified as character and dignity. :D

I think fluted or colored might be over the top at this time. Our Seki makers have never done machining like our fluting. The programs alone are a nightmare because each flute is different and they must be individually programmed.

We might be able to pull something off. I believe the Ladybug and Manbug sizes will be more popular in the future, so I'm amenable to variations. That's why we've made so many. I carry a ZDP Manbug all of the time and use it quite a bit. Probably have to be sprints though.

Let's narrow down the steel.

sal
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I'd be pleased with a Ti slipjoint Ladybug with good ole VG-10. Kind of like the UKPK but way smaller. Or a Jester...

Just a regular lockback in Ti and VG-10 would be nice to see though.

I like the size of the Manbug...but I can't say I like that tip too much. Otherwise I would love a Ti version of that, the size is much nicer in hand.
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Haha! Thanks Sal :) I can speak for about 5 of the 600 brass Ladybugs. Maybe we can do a Damascus blade to get Paul to join-in?

Seriously, I will solicit to every forum on the internet and subsequently be banned for my shameless attempt :) .
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

You had me at Titanium Jester with filework..
"If you can't annoy somebody, there's little point in writing." — Kingsley Amis
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

WOW! I am officially saving and scouring the knife sites for preorders starting now!!!

Thank you Sal!!! I'll get whatever flavor of Ti ladybug/manbug you make, but my vote for a steel would be ZDP-189. I'd love damascus as well.

You know your business much better than I do, but I am aware that many people buy things by the pound and have an ingrained belief that a smaller knife needs a price that is in a direct ratio to its size. Never mind that the cost of materials often isn't the major cost of producing many items to start with. I would hazard a guess that your smaller blades have the thinnest profit margins also. I would go $200...but I am probably in a very small minority.

Grizz
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

What are the release dates for these knives? I'm not asking too soon am I?

I think the folks in NYC will appreciate little knives like these. Surely they are legal there.

Jack
BBSWE

Post by BBSWE »

sal wrote: So, coming right up:

1 Titanium scaled Ladybug (with ti backspacer and spring for Dialex)
1 Titanium scaled Jester (probably need filework backspacer for this bloke)
1 Titanium scaled Manbug (steel backspacer for contrast)
1 Brass scaled Ladybug for Blerv.

We can use VG-10, ZDP-189, H1 or Takefu VG-10 Damascus.

sal
I would say ZDP-189 for all of them except the brass scaled. That one begs for SB! ;)
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I'm guessing if the price tag for most of these were revealed and it came time to pay, most of the "Yeas!" would quickly become "Nays!" as reality set in. That said, I'd love to have a Super Blue Jester with fluted Ti handles and brass bolsters. ;)
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

Anodized Fluted Ti Jester with ZDP blade
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not necessarily. People are more likely to spend more for Ti than a bolstered g10 (IMHO) just for geeky namesake. A sprint likely better than production volume.

Brass is cheap and easy to work with in comparison. At least flashlights are about 10% more expensive where as the copper/Ti ones are twice the price of their alum version (at least). Not sure about others like bronze and alumabronze but they might be ones to consider too.

Frankly if they did sprints in any/all those I would likely start up a Ladybug (or Manbug) collection. The price of entry is low for the fun :D
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

sal wrote:

sal
So this is really happening? Great!

My vote goes to ZDP.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sal, all i want for Christmas is a ZDP/wharnie Manbug. You can make the scales whatever material and color you choose, i just need a ZDP wharnie in the worst way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

Evil D wrote:Sal, all i want for Christmas is a ZDP/wharnie Manbug. You can make the scales whatever material and color you choose, i just need a ZDP wharnie in the worst way.
How about an M4 wharnie?
Because I believe that will be here soon!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nederspyder wrote:How about an M4 wharnie?
Because I believe that will be here soon!
The only problem is M4's a USA steel and the Ladybug/Manbug is made in Japan. Something out of Taiwan or the USA though it's a good chance :) .
Nederspyder

Post by Nederspyder »

Yeah I meant the Air.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Another vote for ZDP189 for any of these titanium bad boys!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

A TI JESTER!!! Even a Ti Manbug! Any steel would be great from VG-10, S30V, ZDP, to (dare I say it?) H1. But for blades that small is it out of the question to, say, have this fantasy Jester or Ti Manbug be available in SE?