CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Either of those pics would be great for the calendar contest...but the first one would be a sure winner! I'm normally not much into indoor pictures, but you pulled it off.
tap78

Post by tap78 »

how about that one I've entered? :P

My spyder:'s: Military Camo, Paramilitary 2 CTS-XHP Orange, Paramilitary 2 CTS-204P Green, Endura 4 ZDP-189 ComboEdge BRG, Endura 4 ZDP-189 FFG BRG, Manix 2 Lightweight Blue, Caly 3 G-10, Salt 1 Yellow SE C88SYL, Ulize, Manix I C95, Manix 2 XL S90v CF, Delica 4 CE Black C11PCBBK, Manix 2 154CM, Military All Black C36GPBK, Stretch SE C90SBK Black FRN, Caly3 CF ZDP-189/420J2, Sage 3 BoltLock CF, Gayle Bradley C134CFP, Squarehead C193TIP, Pacific Salt Yellow SE C91SYL, Pacific Salt Black C91PBK, Ladybug 3 Salt LYL3, Stretch CF ZDP-189 C90CF, Lum Large Chinese Folder C143G, Perrin Street Bowie FB04PBB, Mantra Titanium C202TI, Farid K-2 Titanium C185TI, Para 3 C223GPGYCW Para 3 Cruwear
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

tap78 wrote:how about that one I've entered? :P

Nice.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Why isn't the YO2 FFG?
Why hollow ground?
MCM

Post by MCM »

KW might get a photo next week. That will tell us exactly what its going to look like! :)
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
timlara

Post by timlara »

MacLaren wrote:Why isn't the YO2 FFG?
Why hollow ground?
Strength, I believe...? But in my experience, the hollow grind is high enough that it doesn't make much difference in the cutting geometry, even though I personally prefer the look of FFG.
Tim
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

MCM wrote:KW might get a photo next week. That will tell us exactly what its going to look like! :)
So...does this mean they might ship before the end of July?
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

timlara wrote:Strength, I believe...? But in my experience, the hollow grind is high enough that it doesn't make much difference in the cutting geometry, even though I personally prefer the look of FFG.
That'll work. My Vallotton is hollow ground and its really sharp- not the best slicer per say but, it'll dang well do the job.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

timlara wrote:Strength, I believe...? But in my experience, the hollow grind is high enough that it doesn't make much difference in the cutting geometry, even though I personally prefer the look of FFG.
It won't make a difference until you start cutting something that's taller/deeper than the blade is, then it wedges quite a bit especially if you're cutting something rigid.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:It won't make a difference until you start cutting something that's taller/deeper than the blade is, then it wedges quite a bit especially if you're cutting something rigid.
David, which is easier to sharpen FFG or Hollow?
Invective

Post by Invective »

Evil D wrote:It won't make a difference until you start cutting something that's taller/deeper than the blade is, then it wedges quite a bit especially if you're cutting something rigid.
If you're talking about cardboard, I've found my Yo2 cuts cardboard infinitely better if I cut it with the blade not perpendicular in the cardboard but at an angle. It doesn't bind up at all and just glides on through!
MacLaren wrote:David, which is easier to sharpen FFG or Hollow?
Not David, but I like sharpening HHG (high hollow grinds like on the Yo2) much more than FFG. Dunno why since I'm pretty sure there's no big difference in sharpening either, but I found it much easier to sharpen my Yo2 than my Yo1.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Invective wrote:If you're talking about cardboard, I've found my Yo2 cuts cardboard infinitely better if I cut it with the blade not perpendicular in the cardboard but at an angle. It doesn't bind up at all and just glides on through!

Not David, but I like sharpening HHG (high hollow grinds like on the Yo2) much more than FFG. Dunno why since I'm pretty sure there's no big difference in sharpening either, but I found it much easier to sharpen my Yo2 than my Yo1.
Cool beans. Thanx for the 411.
Ned

Post by Ned »

I LOVE the high hollow grind on the Yo2, it's quite thin behind the edge and very sturdy at the spine. I really like how it kind of flashes when you rotate it in the light, just something special about that grind, something special about that blade... :D
:spyder: C101PBL2, C54GPBN, C154PBK, MGREP, JGGYP, C75P3, C36TIP, C113GPGY, C127GPOR, C85GPBL, C11SBK, C10SBK, C11TR, C10TR, C28S (Wharncliffe mod), C11TIPD, C12GS, FB15P, C110GPBL, C85GP2, C141CFP, FB14P3Z, C123GPBL, C88PYL, KO4PBK, C105BMP

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places...Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God." Ephesians 6:12-13
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

+1!
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:David, which is easier to sharpen FFG or Hollow?
I wouldn't say either is inherently easier than the other, it really depends on how the blade was ground. You could make the blade much thinner behind the edge on pretty much any production knife, and thinner is generally easier to sharpen because it leaves you with a small bevel, which means you remove less metal to reach an apex (assuming you aren't using a micro bevel).
Invective wrote:If you're talking about cardboard, I've found my Yo2 cuts cardboard infinitely better if I cut it with the blade not perpendicular in the cardboard but at an angle. It doesn't bind up at all and just glides on through.
I made a video about this not long ago. Though it is true, you may not always be able to cut in this way. Consider cutting through a radiator hose on a car...it doesn't matter how you angle it. The same is true for slicing veggies and such. For what the knife was designed for, it's an excellent grind, but the spine strength is a bit overkill for most EDC purposes especially since the tip isn't much stronger than it would be in FFG, and being a wharnie that's where a lot of use happens. I try to counter blade thickness and the grind by only cutting with the tip when I can get away with it.
~David
v8r

Post by v8r »

MacLaren wrote:Why isn't the YO2 FFG?
Why hollow ground?
if you have ever played with a original Yojimbo you would understand. The original was so thin at the tip it didnt require much force to break it off. I feel the hollow grind gives it at least a little more tip strength. Personally i prefer a high hollow ground to FFG.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

v8r wrote:if you have ever played with a original Yojimbo you would understand. The original was so thin at the tip it didnt require much force to break it off. I feel the hollow grind gives it at least a little more tip strength. Personally i prefer a high hollow ground to FFG.
It's less about the grind style and more about the extreme distal taper that the first one had. If it was ground flat with no taper at all it would have had plenty of tip thickness. The Rock Lobster is a good example of what I'm talking about. You can grind the tip very acute and still retain plenty of strength.
~David
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Invective wrote:Personally, I'd rather have a room full of them and just dive into them like Scrooge McDuck.

Wait on second thought, maybe that's not such a good idea :D
Might be OK if you make sure they're all closed and wear a bike helment :D

Usually I'm more of a Gyro Gearloose, but not with my spydies -- haven't modded any yet.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think the Yo 1 is wider behind the edge than the Yo 2, that might make sharpening seem different.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I wander how many Yo2's have been sold to date?