CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GTPowers

Post by GTPowers »

:o Thanks.
hickster

Post by hickster »

I'm not doubting either of these "sprints", I hope they both go through. In the case of the Yo 2 though, this will be the very first S90V blade by Spyderco to be anything other that Full Flat Grind. Is this significant? Has this become technically (financially) feasible or will the Yojimbo 2 in S90V be significantly more expensive because of this innovation? ...or will they just modify the grind?
Either way- winner, winner, chicken dinner! :D
hickster
phaust

Post by phaust »

hickster wrote:I'm not doubting either of these "sprints", I hope they both go through. In the case of the Yo 2 though, this will be the very first S90V blade by Spyderco to be anything other that Full Flat Grind. Is this significant? Has this become technically (financially) feasible or will the Yojimbo 2 in S90V be significantly more expensive because of this innovation? ...or will they just modify the grind?
Either way- winner, winner, chicken dinner! :D
hickster
The MSRPs are already up on the website, and the Yo2 is cheaper than the ffg M2XL.
CubistHamster

Post by CubistHamster »

hickster wrote:Has this become technically (financially) feasible or will the Yojimbo 2 in S90V be significantly more expensive because of this innovation? ...or will they just modify the grind?
hickster
Isn't a hollow ground blade actually quite a bit easier to manufacture than a flat ground one?

I know the reason that all the Salt series have hollow grinds is that the grinding can be done in a single pass, which keeps the work-hardening tendency of H1 to a manageable level.

As far as I know, S90V isn't a work-hardening steel, but I'd think that a manufacturing process that can be done in a single step would generally be cheaper than one that takes multiple steps, regardless of the material it's applied to.

(All that is pure speculation, so if anyone knows better, I'm interested.)
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

CubistHamster wrote:Isn't a hollow ground blade actually quite a bit easier to manufacture than a flat ground one?

I know the reason that all the Salt series have hollow grinds is that the grinding can be done in a single pass, which keeps the work-hardening tendency of H1 to a manageable level.

As far as I know, S90V isn't a work-hardening steel, but I'd think that a manufacturing process that can be done in a single step would generally be cheaper than one that takes multiple steps, regardless of the material it's applied to.

(All that is pure speculation, so if anyone knows better, I'm interested.)
Makes sense to me. Two grinding passes also increases the likelihood of a grinding error resulting in a factory second. The only missing factor is the cost of the respective machines.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

phaust wrote:The MSRPs are already up on the website, and the Yo2 is cheaper than the ffg M2XL.
I think you read that wrong. The XL is $274.95 and the Yo 2 is $299.95.

Also, it cracks me up that knives that don't even exist yet have a 5 star rating lol.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Invective

Post by Invective »

I posted this over on BF but I'm not sure if I did here, but if you go to the Spyderco page on KW and sort by Price highest to lowest, then it looks like they will both be selling for between $199 and $215, seeing as they're placed in between the Jigged Bone Endura Sprint and the Tuff.
Picture: http://imgur.com/xsfFj

Also, yeah the Yo2 looks to be more expensive than the Manix2XL based on placement on the site.
phaust

Post by phaust »

Evil D wrote:I think you read that wrong. The XL is $274.95 and the Yo 2 is $299.95.

Also, it cracks me up that knives that don't even exist yet have a 5 star rating lol.
Whoops! Thanks!
bh49

Post by bh49 »

CubistHamster wrote:Isn't a hollow ground blade actually quite a bit easier to manufacture than a flat ground one?
I am not sure, if you can say that hollow grind is easier to manufacture. It is certainly less expensive because both side are grind at the same time v.s flat grind, where each side is getting ground in separately.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
knifebuff732

Post by knifebuff732 »

It's going to be a long while before these babies come out. They are still as of now not taking preorders at this time yet. Their estimated or expected 3rd quarter 2013 according to kw. But I wouldn't count on that time frame. Spyderco in Golden, CO is so backed up with all the new models they came out with in 2012, plus the ones they already have that they got to keep up with. Sal needs to expand his business to ramp up production, I am an ex Navy aircrewmen from a helicopter squadron and am now going to college for finance and minor in accounting. Bascically in laymans terms the supply cannot meet up with the demand, but you have to think about these things before making these kinds of business decisions. I am in no way shape or form saying that Sal and Eric are not good business men at all. I just feel you got to weigh your options, and they know their capacity of what they could put out and how fast, out there in Golden. I just think that certain companies online should wait until their previous exclusive run is finished by Spyderco and sold to their customers before putting in two more exclusive runs before they even got the previous one they had ordered, which to no suprise got set back also. I didn't mention the companies' name I happen to like them a great deal but any Spyderco collector would be able to figure out who I am referring to. Peel-Ply cf and CPM S90V you can't ever go wrong with that combo. I have both the Yojimbo 2 and the Manix 2 XL black g-10 both with cpm s30v steel and I am in love with these knives as they are. I couldn't have picked any two different knives then these two, that I would want this done to them.
knifebuff732

Post by knifebuff732 »

I don't know who brought up blade grinds, but I do know a little something about this. I am an amatueur knifemaker I starting getting into it after I got out of the Navy. When it comes to making knives it doesn't matter if your doing it at your house or a production knife company like Spyderco. But the big difference is the big production knife companies have millions of dollars worth of equipment that does all the work for them and makes it a whole lot easier and they could put out more products. But the way you start out making knives to learn the craft before going and trying to work on and learn how to work a cnc machine which is you just typing into the computer a program and the mill comes down and cuts out multiple blades out of a piece of steel, whatever kind. The way you start out is by getting a 2" x 72" belt grinder and thats the old school way. There you can learn the craft and get the feel for it, grinding with the steel yourself and not having some machine do all the work for you, thats not any skill. A person that calls himself a knifemaker and can't make a knife just using grinders, drill press and maybe a band saw isn't a knifemaker in my opinion. Yeah I have no problem moving onto that higher tech expensive equipment like cnc mills and what not, but I feel you have to learn knifemaking by first getting a grinder and learning how to grind. Thats when you can practice and learn all the differents grinds of a blade. Me personally on a 2" x72" grinder with a 8" to 10" wheel on it for hollow grinding is the easiest. Way easier than a full flat grind. Also I think a hollow ground blade looks nicer. If you know what a hollow ground blade is it is a concave grind, you are basically with that 8" wheel or whatever on the grinder just caving out the steel of the blade back and forth until you get the steel thinned out enough where you need it to be and start getting it ground down to an edge. The thing is when hollow grinding, once you get that initial grove after a couple passes on each side of the blade it makes things so much easier. Because now you already laid the tracks and just got to stay in and follow that groove or concavity that you made throughout.
MCM

Post by MCM »

Ok
:spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
More S90v & CF please.......
MCM

Post by MCM »

Will see Sal and Co, at Shot next week. Thats where this one got started last year & am happy its being built.
Will follow up here with any up-dates.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

MCM wrote:Will see Sal and Co, at Shot next week. Thats where this one got started last year & am happy its being built.
Will follow up here with any up-dates.
Looking forward to any news!
On the hunt for...
chukar8

Post by chukar8 »

I'm in for the XL s90 for sure.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Ooh, I might just be able to get in on this as I am currently interviewing for a job that will let me buy premium :spyder: blades regularly. Fingers crossed..
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

defenestrate wrote:Ooh, I might just be able to get in on this as I am currently interviewing for a job that will let me buy premium :spyder: blades regularly. Fingers crossed..
Good luck! I hope you get the job!
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
wolfstyle

Post by wolfstyle »

Any updates?

wolfstyle
Cameron

Post by Cameron »

I just bought these two in S30V and G10... why do I now suddenly want something I have never seen? :confused:

Cameron
Bradley Folder 2 CPM M4
Military ​​​CTS XHP​ - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​
Para Military 2CTS​ XHP - CTS 204P
Manix 2 CTS XHP - CPM​ ​Cru​-​wear​ - CPM​ M4
MCM

Post by MCM »

No real news, checked today........ still 3rd and 4th qtr 2013 for the CF XL and Yo in S90v.
Sometimes these are gone before you can see them.
Not often, but it has happened.......... ;)