CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VashHash

Re: CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Post by VashHash »

Family pics
endgame

Post by endgame »

mines out for delivery
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

Mine as well!
animportant

Post by animportant »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
animportant wrote:My yo2 doesn't open and close super smoothly. Hoping this gets better in time. I'll add some frog lube I just picked up if necessary.
I got some advice on the boards from Michael Janich himself when I got my first Yo2. It wasn't opening as freely as I would have liked, it felt like the compression lock was rubbing the blade as it opened which slowed things down. He recommended I put some grease (NOT OIL OR LUBE) inside on the detent ball, just on top of it. As soon as I did that it opened like butter and has ever since. I can still see the red color of the grease in there if I look hard enough. The grease I used (and still use) was called Shooters Choice. Good stuff.
I'll have to check ig out, thanks! I wonder what properties grease has that lube doesn't in this case. Can anyone elaborate?
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Viscosity? It stays in place.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Grease doesn't dry, whereas some oils will eventually gum up and/or dry out, as could be seen in my recent Military purchase. I wouldn't grease a pivot though, unless you wanted rust protection. I've pulled old greasy parts off 30 year old cars that cleaned up like new and didn't have a spec of rust on them because the grease sealed out the elements.

On another note, has anyone worked with CF? How is it to grind and sand compared to G10?
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

Evil D wrote:On another note, has anyone worked with CF? How is it to grind and sand compared to G10?
I don't know about difficulty in grinding, just that it is very dangerous to your lungs. From what I've heard, G10 is bad to inhale, but CF is *very* bad to inhale, respirator required while grinding.

I'll be interested in seeing your modifications though.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Finally took some good pics:

farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Those are some great shots ^^^^^ one of these days I'm going to have to invest in a decent camera and stop torturing the forums I visit with my terrible phone pics... :o
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Awesome pics! Beautiful country.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Thanks guys!
Philo Beddoe

Post by Philo Beddoe »

That didn't take long..2 up on Evilbay..
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Ha yea. Although one has no reserve and started below retail, so one has to question that strategy seeing as they aren't even yet sold out. Perhaps he just wanted to give fellow knife nuts a deal?
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I think this really is a knife you have to get in hand to appreciate. It's pretty much perfect. I've been waiting a long time for the yo 2 and I think this flavor was definitely the right one to get. stoked :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fit and finish is definitely a notch higher than the 2 G10 versions I've handled. The grinds are also much nicer. Makes me wonder if more effort is put into exclusives and sprints since they know replacements will be scarce.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Evil, keep the CF wet or wear a respirator. Cf works the same as G10 for the most part. My yojimbo was a little rough around the edges so i hit it with some 800 grit and it's good now. Had a similar issue with my CF M390 millie. If I'm doing a lot of work with CF i work it wet but i usually work by hand. I made a CF kiradashi once and just kept wetting the stone and rinsing it occasionally. Of course you're probably going to use a dremel or something similar so i would say wear a respirator or have a shop vac or something similar to suck up the dust while you work.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote:Evil, keep the CF wet or wear a respirator. Cf works the same as G10 for the most part. My yojimbo was a little rough around the edges so i hit it with some 800 grit and it's good now. Had a similar issue with my CF M390 millie. If I'm doing a lot of work with CF i work it wet but i usually work by hand. I made a CF kiradashi once and just kept wetting the stone and rinsing it occasionally. Of course you're probably going to use a dremel or something similar so i would say wear a respirator or have a shop vac or something similar to suck up the dust while you work.
I'll be using a Dremel...far too much work to do it by hand. I'm not sure if wetting it will make a difference when using a Dremel. In the past I've used a cheap doctor style face mask...is that enough or do I need a legit painter style respirator?
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Dust mask should do It's just dust. I would see about setting up a fan or vacuum to keep the dust at bay. Also makes clean up easier if you use a shop vac.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

VashHash wrote:Dust mask should do It's just dust. I would see about setting up a fan or vacuum to keep the dust at bay. Also makes clean up easier if you use a shop vac.
Yeah, the last time I did a lot of G10 work I did it on my art desk and made a huge mess. I may just take my Dremel outside for this one and set up a fan blowing it away from me, I could probably get away without using a mask if I did that but I'll wear one for good measure.

I gotta be honest though, it's a lot more nerve racking working on CF scales, knowing I can't just order another one for a set of scales if I screw up. Worst case scenario is I screw up a set of CF scales, and just swap out my G10 scales and end up with an extra S30V blade. Or I guess I could hit up someone for custom scales. I actually talked to Boomer on here about having him scan my G10 scales and making CNC copies of them, which he said he can do, but we haven't gone any further than talking about it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Anyone else had one apart yet? I thought this was interesting. I'd love to hear what the extra letters stand for around the date code, and that smaller hole next to the detent hole goes all the way through. Is that for hardness testing...or? Also note the little half circle dimple ground into the spot where the lock tab falls off and into the tang when locked...that's a new addition.