CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Post by GoldenSpydie »

The hole is to show that the blade uses a different steel than normal, in this case S90V. This is useful to assembly people before the blade is marked.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GoldenSpydie wrote:The hole is to show that the blade uses a different steel than normal, in this case S90V. This is useful to assembly people before the blade is marked.
Yep now that you mention it I believe I have seen that posted in the past. I believe my 20CP Para 2 also has a hole.
kaysa

Post by kaysa »

Got mine today, it's a record for shipping speed, they sent it @19th Sept, and it reached me 24th Sept,
including weekend... it's really something, I think that's why the postage alone cost nearly $50...

I've got myself 2 Yo2 S90v, they look identical, smooth opening and closing actions, perfect grind, perfectly centered, everything seems perfect,

But the detention on one of it is very strong, I might say it's too strong...
it's almost impossible to flick it out with middle finger flicking toward opening direction of the blade,
with middle finger flicking, it work only when I flick it outward 90degree direction against the handle.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Mine has the same issue with the strong detent. It's way too strong. I'm hoping it works in but so far not so much. I tried putting some grease on the ball but that didn't help.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Donut

Post by Donut »

My lock was sticky when I got it and the pivot was really dry, but after opening some and adding a little lube on the pivot, it is operating pretty nicely.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

My lock is no longer sticky, but I agree that the detent is a little too strong. Other than that, it's perfect.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Im suprised to see so much meh when THIS KNIFE IS SO AMAZING.

Design + materials + execution = hot d@mn! Well worth the wait and premium. The standard g10 version is also amazing, i would recommend both highly. Just beautiful.
victorf

Post by victorf »

Evil D wrote:Anyone else had one apart yet? I thought this was interesting. I'd love to hear what the extra letters stand for around the date code, and that smaller hole next to the detent hole goes all the way through. Is that for hardness testing...or? Also note the little half circle dimple ground into the spot where the lock tab falls off and into the tang when locked...that's a new addition.

If I understand you correctly.

Half round ground-in half circle is also on the Para 2. I believe purpose is to provide gentler approach/departure ramp for the ball, captivated on the compression lock tang for blade detention. Without which, approach/departure will be abrupt/harsh between detent ball and tang and the components will not last.

I use Krytox on that particular interface. Using straighten paper clip, pin head sized Krytox, carefully wipe off onto the detent hole. Krytox will spread precisely between interface with each transverse cycle. Beside expensive, excess Krytox is difficult to remove when it ended up on surface not intended. Its use is beneficial to the breaking in process by lubricating the metal to metal contact and will resulted in an precise fit.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

victorf wrote:

If I understand you correctly.

Half round ground-in half circle is also on the Para 2. I believe purpose is to provide gentler approach/departure ramp for the ball, captivated on the compression lock tang for blade detention. Without which, approach/departure will be abrupt/harsh between detent ball and tang and the components will not last.

I use Krytox on that particular interface. Using straighten paper clip, pin head sized Krytox, carefully wipe off onto the detent hole. Krytox will spread precisely between interface with each transverse cycle. Beside expensive, excess Krytox is difficult to remove when it ended up on surface not intended. Its use is beneficial to the breaking in process by lubricating the metal to metal contact and will resulted in an precise fit.

Man, at $34 for .5oz, that stuff better open the knife for me lol. The divot on the tang for the detent ball must just be a CQI thing, as it hasn't been present on any of my previous compression lock knives. I like it, I may add my own version of it to other knives. I suspect just rounding off that spot just slightly will have a similar (if not even better) effect.
kaysa

Post by kaysa »

I think the detention is going to loosen up as users breaking in to the knife,
so I think the "too strong detention issue" is a non-issue at most I think...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have three para2's and they all have that divot for the detent ball. I believe there was a thread about some para2's losing the detent ball and that is why the little ramp was added. Not sure if there is any truth to that.

As far as the strong detent. My oldest and most carried para2 still has a very strong detent and I admit to flipping it obsessively at times. I like it. It makes the blade fly open with authority once you have overcome the detent. It is hard for me to flip it only half open because it is smooth as glass and as soon as i overcome the detent I have applied enough force that the near zero friction of the pivot allows it to fly open with a positive snap.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I think a big part of the detent issue is subjective. My original Yo 2 was sent off to Blerv who later sent it off to Travis for a regrind. That knife never bothered me as far as the detent goes, but I believe he sent it in to Spyderco to have them "adjust it" which I think is just simply adjusting the bend of the lock bar slightly. Too much to one person may be just enough to the next. Comparing one knife to another is a crap shoot, and comparing a Yo 2 to a Para 2 is even worse. It's just a variable tolerance thing.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don't recommend disassembling a knife and I definitely do not recommend bending a lock bar but I have done it and it does work. I tweaked a military lock a bunch of times in order to get it just right. If anybody does this it is at your own risk. :)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Evil D wrote:I think a big part of the detent issue is subjective. My original Yo 2 was sent off to Blerv who later sent it off to Travis for a regrind. That knife never bothered me as far as the detent goes, but I believe he sent it in to Spyderco to have them "adjust it" which I think is just simply adjusting the bend of the lock bar slightly. Too much to one person may be just enough to the next. Comparing one knife to another is a crap shoot, and comparing a Yo 2 to a Para 2 is even worse. It's just a variable tolerance thing.

I agree that it is subjective. However, my CF yo2 is harder to open than any knife I've ever held. Sometimes when I go to flick it without thinking first how much force I need to use it doesn't even open and I end up hurting my thumb. But after that first opening, I do it a couple more times and it's fine. Once it goes back into my pocket for a little while the problem comes back. It's weird, but I can live with it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

The detent on mine seems normal, but the sticky lock has appeared. Its pretty significant, requiring two handed closing at times. I dont suppose this is arguably purpose driven, as one wouldnt want an SD knife closing accidentally?
kaysa

Post by kaysa »

I found that my YO2 detent issue is causing by some dust or particle on the detent ball or hole,
it started in the detent hole on the blade I think, it is causing rough surface and resulting in difficult of deployment of the blade at first,
then I think when the particles is spread/moved outward onto the track that the detent ball is running on the blade,
therefore causing some roughness on the opening of the blade but the detention when closed is not as strong as the roughness on the ball is gone,
so I use a cotton swab and applied some WD40 on it to reach in to the detent ball while the blade is on full opened position,
and wiped of the dust or particle on the detent ball, and now the detent is not too strong, and there is no roughness when opening the blade.

If you got a YO2 have too strong detention, try this n see if it work for yours.
GoldenSpydie

Post by GoldenSpydie »

3 lasers + S90V Yojimbo =

Ray Allen

Post by Ray Allen »

I have one of the S90V Yojimbo2 collectors,numbered, version arriving Saturday. Hehe, looking forward to that delivery.
Best...
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Yo2 CF $218.45 at KW this weekend.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Sorry to revive this awesome thread but I figured this would help someone out. My S90V Yo2 had a really strong detent, ridiculously strong. So strong that sometimes it simply wouldn't open if I wasn't paying much attention, I'd have to try 2 or 3 times to open it it. I pretty much learned to live with it until yesterday. I was looking at the blade in the half closed position and I noticed some black guck sticking out under the scales. I tried wiping it away but I could see there was more inside. I decided I'd just take the whole thing apart and give it a nice thorough cleaning. There was a lot of crap in there which I removed. I'm not sure if it came like that or if it accumulated over time from being carried. Keep in mind I got mine as soon as it was released so it's seen a lot of pocket time. Well to my surprise when I reassembled the knife the detent was completely fixed. It opens with the perfect amount of force just like my original G10 Yo2.

So in short, if you have a hard time opening your CF Yo2, you might want to take it apart and see if that helps. I understand this voids the warranty and I'm fine with that, be sure you are too before you crack it open.

Donovan

@liquid_cobra