CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rodloos

Re: CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Post by rodloos »

Evil D wrote:Yeah unfortunately neither of mine are even sharp enough to shave, which is unusual in my experience. The bevels on mine are both nearly perfect and even on both sides, just not super sharp.
I only got one (for now at least) but mine is the same - not quite shaving sharp, but at least the bevels are even.

I recall my S90V Military being similar, maybe a bit more uneven grind, and I was able to sharpen that up pretty well, so I should be able to sharpen the S90V Yojimbo OK, just haven't had a chance to sit down with sharpener yet. My first impulse is usually to grab the SharpMaker, but I do also have an Edge Pro, I'm just not very experienced with it yet.
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
victorf

Post by victorf »

One of the two is buttery smooth while the second one is not. Sharpness are the same and both are not exactly centered. I guess there is more than one person doing the final assembly verification to ensure perfect fit and function. Thats understandable. Otherwise, very happy with the two Sprints.
Ned

Post by Ned »

Just got mine today! They are practically identical...both have even bevels and are passably sharp, not lather up your face and shave your beard sharp, but sharp for a factory edge. Both are perfectly centered and a little tight; just what one would expect right from the factory. Fit and finish are amazing, both examples are a perfect simulacrum of the other. I just picked one to become my edc, it will get a new edge and a lot of flicking! :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mine has slightly uneven grinds. If you look down the spine, the triangle that is formed by the grinds isn't quite symmetrical. Opening is smooth and slightly tight, perfect for some wear in. Being a user, the slightly uneven grinds don't bother me at all, and I'm sure they won't have noticeable affect on performance. Some gorgeous pics in this thread. I love how the CF gives the chamfers some visual interest. This is my first Yo2, and I haven't totally gotten used to opening it with the partially hidden hole, but I can see why it has so many fans.

It's a reach, but I appreciate the use of simulacrum.
ji_long

Post by ji_long »

Mine wasn't super sharp but a few passes on the flats of fine stones and stropped with green compound and it's removing large portions of arm hair.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

I've been opening and closing mine since yesterday, it's smoothed up nicely. I haven't added any oil yet. I've also cut up a lot of cardboard for recycling and the edge feels about as sharp as it did out of the box. Fairly impressive in my opinion.
Ned

Post by Ned »

tvenuto wrote:It's a reach, but I appreciate the use of simulacrum.
I've had a soft spot in my heart for that word for some time now...I use it whenever I can.. ;)
animportant

Post by animportant »

My yo2 doesn't open and close super smoothly. Hoping this gets better in time. I'll add some frog lube I just picked up if necessary.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tvenuto wrote:Mine has slightly uneven grinds. If you look down the spine, the triangle that is formed by the grinds isn't quite symmetrical. Opening is smooth and slightly tight, perfect for some wear in. Being a user, the slightly uneven grinds don't bother me at all, and I'm sure they won't have noticeable affect on performance. Some gorgeous pics in this thread. I love how the CF gives the chamfers some visual interest. This is my first Yo2, and I haven't totally gotten used to opening it with the partially hidden hole, but I can see why it has so many fans.

It's a reach, but I appreciate the use of simulacrum.
Having owned and handled 4 of these knives now, I can tell you that it's pretty hit and miss as far as how even this is. Three out of the four are uneven enough to see with the naked eye, while the forth is the one out of these two that I plan to leave in the box for future use. None of them are so uneven that they look bad, and you would have to look for it to know it was there, but if you look straight down the blade from the tip as if you're looking down the sides of the hollow grind lines, you can see that one is higher up than the other.
Ned

Post by Ned »

So am I the first to put a new edge on one? Probably not.... :)
A sharp Yo.jpg
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

animportant wrote:My yo2 doesn't open and close super smoothly. Hoping this gets better in time. I'll add some frog lube I just picked up if necessary.
I got some advice on the boards from Michael Janich himself when I got my first Yo2. It wasn't opening as freely as I would have liked, it felt like the compression lock was rubbing the blade as it opened which slowed things down. He recommended I put some grease (NOT OIL OR LUBE) inside on the detent ball, just on top of it. As soon as I did that it opened like butter and has ever since. I can still see the red color of the grease in there if I look hard enough. The grease I used (and still use) was called Shooters Choice. Good stuff.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ned wrote:So am I the first to put a new edge on one? Probably not.... :)
A sharp Yo.jpg
I've been so busy I haven't even cut anything with mine, just fondled them and took pictures. Life outside knives has been pretty demanding lately, I have a few knives waiting for sharpening. You know it's bad when the Mrs. hands you her knife and says it needs sharpened lol.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

What a long wait it has been but I've finally got my new CF S90V Yo2. I woke up bright and early on my day off, packed up the wife and kids in the car and headed to America. It is not a long drive and the border wait wasn't bad, thats actually why we left so early, to beat the lines. I went in to the place I have all my knives shipped to and there it was, finally in my hands. I think this is the first knife that I was so excited for that I've actually dreamt about it. You might even call them nightmares as I was worried for some reason like it would get lost in the mail or something. Knife nuts are a special breed I guess. I was very relieved that they had the package and I jumped back in the car and opened it up. Man is this thing sweet. Aside from a weird grind line on one side it is flawless. It took a bit of pressure to get it to open the first couple of times but now it is opening very nicely. I've detected some blade play and as of yet I've been unable to eliminate it. Anyone else have some? I'm wondering if this is a carbon fiber thing as my CF PM2 had some as well. No biggie.

The blade was almost hair shaving sharp but not quite. I've stated earlier that I've been dreading S90V again after some issues I had last time. I really appreciate the kind offer to help sharpen mine David, but I decided to give it a go on the old sharpmaker. I'm happy to report it only took about 5 minutes and I've got it right where I want it. Sharpening really is a skill that takes practice, its pretty cool to see my abilities getting better and better. If the sharpmaker didn't work I would have busted out the Edge Pro :)

Anyway...great knife, happy guy right here. Thanks Sal, Syderco, Michael Janich and Knifeworks. What a piece!

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
Ned

Post by Ned »

Evil D wrote:
Ned wrote:So am I the first to put a new edge on one? Probably not.... :)
A sharp Yo.jpg
I've been so busy I haven't even cut anything with mine, just fondled them and took pictures. Life outside knives has been pretty demanding lately, I have a few knives waiting for sharpening. You know it's bad when the Mrs. hands you her knife and says it needs sharpened lol.
I hear ya man, I'm still debating on whether or not to sharpen my Native V sprint...I only have one; I sure am tempted to reprofile it...
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

Liquid Cobra wrote:This will sound dumb but I really hope mine is scary sharp as I have no interest in sharpening this any time soon. S90V scares the crap out of me to be honest. I messed up my S90V para pretty bad last time trying to sharpen it. I'm not saying I'll never sharpen it, I'm just hoping I have time to warm up to the idea lol.
What were you using? A Sharpmaker should work just fine on S90V, especially if you don't let it get too dull.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

JNewell wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:This will sound dumb but I really hope mine is scary sharp as I have no interest in sharpening this any time soon. S90V scares the crap out of me to be honest. I messed up my S90V para pretty bad last time trying to sharpen it. I'm not saying I'll never sharpen it, I'm just hoping I have time to warm up to the idea lol.
What were you using? A Sharpmaker should work just fine on S90V, especially if you don't let it get too dull.
I used the edge pro. The bevels came from the factory really uneven so I tried to fix it. I was also trying to get a mirror polish on the edge. I read later that its not so easy on S90V compared to VG10 or something. And because of the laminate blade I eventually sharpened it up to where the S90V meets the CPM 154. I gave it a ridiculously high angle. It was perfectly usable but the sight of it just bugged me. I knew I would never enjoy the knife like I wanted to so I decided to sell it to fund other blades. I'm happy with my decision to sell it even though it was so rare. I'm especially ok with it now that I've got this new Yo2 :)

@liquid_cobra
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Finally just opened my Yo2 package that arrived this afternoon. It's a nice one. The grind looks good, but as others mentioned, the edge isn't scary sharp. But it cuts paper just fine. The CF looks particularly good on this knife. I like it a lot!
:bug-red-white
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I find this knife is actually pretty resistant when I'm trying to put it in my pocket. It comes out pretty easy and it's definitely secure just not the easiest getting back in the pocket. Even with thinner fabrics. This is probably the most pocket secure spyderco I've ever purchased. I also had some scratching issues with the detent ball. Put a small drop of oil and all is well. If it comes back I'll use the fine tip applicator with some tuff glide. I'll post a CF S90V family pic soon.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Yeah, this peel ply is some super grippy stuff, it makes me think of shark skin.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I agree, the peel ply is pretty sharp. It doesn't feel coarse, but it has edges that catch... I think more (possibly the same as my stretch) than any peel ply carbon fiber I've felt.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!