CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
GoldenSpydie

Re: CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Post by GoldenSpydie »

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps this petty pace until I get my Yojimbo!

DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

ManixFan wrote:...If you get an axis lock ask them to tighten the pivot in an email so the blade doesn't move at all then the only way they can get it to move is by tampering with the knife themselves....

With Spyderco's some such as some CBBL's with weaker springs can even be shaken out if shaken hard enough so a tighter/stronger spring is actually doing you a favour in shipping across the border. When it comes down to it though ANY knife can be made to operate in what teh border services would erroneously consider an "illegal" fashion - the blade just has to over come whatever spring force keeps it closed. Throw any knife in a vise connected to a robotic arm that can operate at a very high speed and then suddenly stop and even a backlock will not prevent the blade from coming out.

So to some extent it is a dumb test since if you can barely get the blade to come out and risk throwing the knife across the room in doing so then that is hardly a fair test of what the law intends.
I've heard of one case where the customs officer pulled back the lock ball on a Manix 2 XL and slung the blade out. They ultimately destroyed the knife. So it might be a good idea to get the seller to tighten the pivot on CBBLs as well as axis locks if they're going across the border... Maybe this same officer is depressing compression locks and slinging the blade out :eek:

I think logically this totally goes against the intent of the law. It is much easier to open the knife in the normal way than to pull back or depress the lock and sling it. And to call these knives illegal and assisted knives legal...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bchan wrote:
JohnAPA wrote:I like that Michael chose hollow grind because it gives a thick spine for thumb purchase in Fillipino grip, and then a thin edge for razor sharpness and sliceability in soft media (ie; muscle, tendons).
What is a Filipino grip, and what advantages does it confer?

To sum it up, that dip in the spine of the blade just in front of the pivot is where your thumb goes, as opposed to being more behind the thumb hole where a thumb ramp would be on something like a Para 2. You grip the knife as if you're giving a "thumbs up". When gripping this knife this way, wherever your thumb points, the blade also points. It gives you a lot more leverage over the blade than other grips.
bchan

Post by bchan »

Evil, many thanks for the very clear explanation. Thank you!
Donut

Post by Donut »

Mine is out for delivery! =)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

Evil D wrote:
bchan wrote:
JohnAPA wrote:I like that Michael chose hollow grind because it gives a thick spine for thumb purchase in Fillipino grip, and then a thin edge for razor sharpness and sliceability in soft media (ie; muscle, tendons).
What is a Filipino grip, and what advantages does it confer?

To sum it up, that dip in the spine of the blade just in front of the pivot is where your thumb goes, as opposed to being more behind the thumb hole where a thumb ramp would be on something like a Para 2. You grip the knife as if you're giving a "thumbs up". When gripping this knife this way, wherever your thumb points, the blade also points. It gives you a lot more leverage over the blade than other grips.

Yes, exactly. Thanks Evil D.
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Got my two about 15 mins ago. Very nice, just like I thought they would be. Thanks, Knifeworks!!!
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

WireEdge Roger wrote:Got my two about 15 mins ago. Very nice, just like I thought they would be. Thanks, Knifeworks!!!
And so it begins......... (Did they come via USPS?)
WireEdge Roger

Post by WireEdge Roger »

Yes, USPS

shadowram

Post by shadowram »

Evil,
Sorry 'bout your banking problems, but fear naught you were covered up to and including one Yo2 by the Universal Bank of Karma. I had canceled my order in favor of a Domino C172CFBLTIP which I didn't have but do now and LOVINGIT. An S30v Yo2 came all the way from Malaysia during the interminable wait for the KW Yo2. Anyway I'll probably end up with one later, but right now I'm in striking distance of a grail knife.

You and everyone else enjoy!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

GAH! Mine have been sitting in my mail box all morning and I didn't know it :eek:
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Got mine and one for my friend. Didn't feel like getting 2 of this one. If i do though he can order it seeing as i maxed out my 2 already.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Mine is shipping today so I guess it will be a nice surprise for my return to work.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
AJBest

Post by AJBest »

Got mine in - second to post pics (Nice pics Roger). This is my first Yohimbo and it is better than I thought. Design and F&F are outstanding. Blade drops freely out of the box and lock-up is rock-solid.

AJBest

Post by AJBest »

AJBest

Post by AJBest »

*duplicate post*
ji_long

Post by ji_long »

I almost got a S30V YO 2 a few months back when I saw talk of CF and S90V. I'm glad I waited for this one.
This might be the one to kick the lionspy out of my pocket. Though they compliment each other well. The YO 2 has a nice fine point and the lionspy has a thick strong point and lots of belly.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx much for the comments and great pics.

It's really a "classic" piece!

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Seems one of mine came with an autograph.

Sal, any idea what this said before it was wiped off? Looks like it's gonna take some polish to wipe the rest off.
EDIT: nope, wiped right off with a micro fiber towel. There was some kind of residue on the blade that didn't appear to be oil, and wouldn't wipe off with just your fingers but one pass with the towel and it's completely gone. Strange.

Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

AJBest wrote:Got mine in - second to post pics (Nice pics Roger). This is my first Yohimbo and it is better than I thought. Design and F&F are outstanding. Blade drops freely out of the box and lock-up is rock-solid.

That's a healthy dose of carbon fiber right there!

Mine says out for delivery. As its being delivered in another country, I'll have to wait until tomorrow.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra