CF & S90v Manix2 XL and Yojimbo from KW

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The most those pics do for me is remind me of all those pesky points that need smoothed down lol. Actually I've been wanting to get some side by side shots of mine vs. a stock one for a long time and just haven't had the chance.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Liquid Cobra wrote:To be fair to the CF Yo2, the image above is the equivalent of a mug shot. Ain't nobody look good in a mugshot. I think that is the only reason it doesn't look as exciting as you were expecting. Peep ply carbon fiber makes for an amazing knife scale. Just you wait and see!
Its about how it feels in your hand, not looks in a picture ;)
Love my spydie CF handles (yah and the G10 is good too)
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Very true, but he was talking specifically about how it looks in the picture. That's why I prefer peel ply over smooth carbon fiber, it has a nice grippy texture.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
shadowram

Post by shadowram »

In this particular case style trumps feel as I bought a lovingly cared for Yo2 in S30V to hold me until the S90V pre-order arrived. On condition that I give it a good home. I've done that but in so doing created the dilemma I now face. There's nothing wrong with the S30V version. So if the scales aren't an improvement in appearance/grip over G10, then the money would be better spent on another Spyderco that I want.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Its a way to settle the cf/90v legend/myth once and for all.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

shadowram wrote:In this particular case style trumps feel as I bought a lovingly cared for Yo2 in S30V to hold me until the S90V pre-order arrived. On condition that I give it a good home. I've done that but in so doing created the dilemma I now face. There's nothing wrong with the S30V version. So if the scales aren't an improvement in appearance/grip over G10, then the money would be better spent on another Spyderco that I want.
The reason the above pic is a mug shot is that it doesn't really show what the peel-ply CF scales from Golden look like. If you go back to pp 15 & 17 in this thread and look at the first shots of the same material on the Manix 2 XL, some including G10 for comparison, you can get a much better idea of what the Yo2 CF will be like.

I was trying to convince myself that I didn't need the CF XL because I had the black blade one in G10, and I didn't get it at first, but when the extra 50 were announced, I jumped at the chance to rectify the situation, and I'm really glad I did. This CF has a very classy look and feel, and I understand that it's even tougher than G10 if anything. I had been wondering why everybody had been raving about it.

But I think it really boils down to how much you like the Yo2. If you come to think you've overdone it, you could always sell one or the other. The M2-XL is really one of my favorite knives, and I'm glad to have two examples of it. Plus I had been wanting to try the peel ply from Golden for a long time.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Yo2's are probably my favourite spyderco non frn design (right now), and its always been a bit of a priveledge to even have a g10 model, i also feel like i could get away with only having the one. But what the ****, what on earth does need have to do with any of my knife purchases?? Anything knife related has zip to do with need, that word only pops up when im justifying cost to my loud mouth wallet, whom always has an opinion. I shut it up by stuffing reciepts in its maw. Doesnt last though.
"...is cabbage a better blue than cars that sing?" C.S.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Cheddarnut wrote:Yo2's are probably my favourite spyderco non frn design (right now), and its always been a bit of a priveledge to even have a g10 model, i also feel like i could get away with only having the one. But what the ****, what on earth does need have to do with any of my knife purchases?? Anything knife related has zip to do with need, that word only pops up when im justifying cost to my loud mouth wallet, whom always has an opinion. I shut it up by stuffing reciepts in its maw. Doesnt last though.
Ha Ha -- I do that too, but it's a real pain when you have to dig them out and put it in the checkbook :(
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Cheddarnut wrote:Yo2's are probably my favourite spyderco non frn design (right now), and its always been a bit of a priveledge to even have a g10 model, i also feel like i could get away with only having the one. But what the ****, what on earth does need have to do with any of my knife purchases?? Anything knife related has zip to do with need, that word only pops up when im justifying cost to my loud mouth wallet, whom always has an opinion. I shut it up by stuffing reciepts in its maw. Doesnt last though.
True dat!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

shadowram wrote:In this particular case style trumps feel as I bought a lovingly cared for Yo2 in S30V to hold me until the S90V pre-order arrived. On condition that I give it a good home. I've done that but in so doing created the dilemma I now face. There's nothing wrong with the S30V version. So if the scales aren't an improvement in appearance/grip over G10, then the money would be better spent on another Spyderco that I want.
The only thing wrong with S30V is that it isn't S90V ;)
~David
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I have to agree with evil on this one. S90V pushes most knives from want to must have. Wanted that yo2. S90V made it a must have. Been buying S90V knives since they released the manix 2 in it. I've only passed on the blue millie because I have the CF one and the cpm154/S90V para because i have the cf S90V already. I also find the CF to be a little more grippy at first. Just my experience. CF did make a difference in my first purchase because I had no idea what S90V was when I bought my first manix but i learned really quick when i started using it. I would have purchased the yo regardless of CF if it still had the S90V blade.
shadowram

Post by shadowram »

DougC-3 wrote:The reason the above pic is a mug shot is that it doesn't really show what the peel-ply CF scales from Golden look like. If you go back to pp 15 & 17 in this thread and look at the first shots of the same material on the Manix 2 XL, some including G10 for comparison, you can get a much better idea of what the Yo2 CF will be like.

I was trying to convince myself that I didn't need the CF XL because I had the black blade one in G10, and I didn't get it at first, but when the extra 50 were announced, I jumped at the chance to rectify the situation, and I'm really glad I did. This CF has a very classy look and feel, and I understand that it's even tougher than G10 if anything. I had been wondering why everybody had been raving about it.

But I think it really boils down to how much you like the Yo2. If you come to think you've overdone it, you could always sell one or the other. The M2-XL is really one of my favorite knives, and I'm glad to have two examples of it. Plus I had been wanting to try the peel ply from Golden for a long time.
Thanks a thousand times for pointing me to the pics on pages 15(Henry-getboth) & 17(MCM) just what I needed to make the decision to stand pat. That way I won't have to regret a poor one later, which I have a suspicion it would turn out to be. As things stand now I'd call it understated elegance as opposed to subdued.

Now what is a DLC YOJIMBO 2 please, and why do I want one?
ManixFan

Post by ManixFan »

shadowram wrote:Thanks a thousand times for pointing me to the pics on pages 15(Henry-getboth) & 17(MCM) just what I needed to make the decision to stand pat. That way I won't have to regret a poor one later, which I have a suspicion it would turn out to be. As things stand now I'd call it understated elegance as opposed to subdued.

Now what is a DLC YOJIMBO 2 please, and why do I want one?
DLC is a black blade coating for extremely tactile people who are into light discipline (they like light smacks on their bottoms) :D

Hey Zed......Bring out the Gimp! :eek:

(A Pulp Fiction reference for Jax...... who reintroduced me to some of that film's "gems" in another thread) ;)
Estne Spyderco in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? :eek:
Google est amicus! :D
JohnAPA

Post by JohnAPA »

My mail box is starting to not like me any more.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I love my mail box. Just found a brand spanking new yo2 in it.
She was born July this year (GN)
I'll put a thread up today :)
Donut

Post by Donut »

Has anyone heard an update on this? We are coming up on the end of August, next week.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Nope, and I've had a few emails from them about other things and every time it gets my hopes up.
~David
Donut

Post by Donut »

Maybe someone got the month wrong. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

This is starting to get painful, the waiting is killing me. I've been self medicating with other Spydies but it's not cutting it.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
FDE

Post by FDE »

Liquid Cobra wrote:This is starting to get painful, the waiting is killing me. I've been self medicating with other Spydies but it's not cutting it.
More more!! Your just not taking enough to take the pain away!