Sage 5 ... any news??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Tally-ho wrote:Axis-lock. :p
LOL, maybe it's an axis tri-ad lock. :)
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Good call on the bump! Hope sal chimes in :)
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
KrisOK

Post by KrisOK »

I know that he said about a year ago that they were working on something. I'd sure love to see another Sage. I LOVE the concept of a series of knives that have identical blade shapes and handle profiles, with the only differences being in lock designs and handle materials. I just hope all the other new Spyderco models don't push the Sage 5 onto the back burner.
EDC Everything! Our knives are TOOLS, not 'Objects d'art'. A 'Safe Queen' is an implied insult to the designer/manufacturer.
Knivesinedc

Post by Knivesinedc »

God'sMyJudge wrote:orange g10, compression lock, ctsxhp
friend,you have stated my hearts desire
Relentless Perseverance in the Face of a Lightless Sky.

Joshua 1:9b "Be strong and courageous, do not be terrified, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go"
Holland

Post by Holland »

God'sMyJudge wrote:orange g10, compression lock, ctsxhp
That would be amazing, except I'd prefer m390 or m4. But this series isn't about the steel and will most likely never hange from s30v
-Spencer

Rotation:
ASmitty

Post by ASmitty »

Holland wrote:That would be amazing, except I'd prefer m390 or m4. But this series isn't about the steel and will most likely never hange from s30v
I also just don't see Spyderco using a lock they invented in the Sage series so soon. Sal and Eric just seem a little modest for that.
"A flute with no holes is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a danish."

Quietly lurking the Spyderco forum since 2003...
Holland

Post by Holland »

Agreed
-Spencer

Rotation:
sal

Post by sal »

ASmitty wrote:I also just don't see Spyderco using a lock they invented in the Sage series so soon. Sal and Eric just seem a little modest for that.
Which is a bit of a problem for which we have no solution. We have the Compression Lock, Ball bearing lock, Caged Ball Bearing, Stop-Lock and another new lock for which patents are applied and we're working on a proto now. Really wouldn't feel right making them as Sages. A puzzlement.

sal
Donut

Post by Donut »

Would a Sage Sprint solve that problem? Not doing full production could allow the people who want them to get them.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
paladin

Post by paladin »

not the most ergonomic or strongest choice...but a back lock with brass bolsters & walnut ( I know, I read the posts about wood scale stability already! ) scales ala Buck 110 would be a nostalgic choice which might strike a chord with many uninitiated Spydieaddicts...just a thought... :spyder:
mattman

Post by mattman »

paladin wrote:not the most ergonomic or strongest choice...but a back lock with brass bolsters & walnut ( I know, I read the posts about wood scale stability already! ) scales ala Buck 110 would be a nostalgic choice which might strike a chord with many uninitiated Spydieaddicts...just a thought... :spyder:
That's a cool idea!

Throw in the EDM/hidden stop-pin (to give it a touch of modern Spyderco flair), and I think we'd have a winner!

edited to add: no clip, and a nice leather sheath?
CarbonFiberNut

Post by CarbonFiberNut »

Erm... The sage 4 is a back lock already, with bolsters and wood handles. Given that the Sage series is meant to pay tribute to LOCKING MECHANISMS and not handle materials, it seems silly to double up on backlocks.

Now, if you wanted to do that same combo in the chapparal, which is all about gentlemanly handle materials, it would be pretty groovy.

◊ Manix 2 XL ◊ Manix 2 lightweight blue ◊ Caly 3 carbon fiber ◊ Caly 3 damascus / CF ◊ Lum Chinese Nishijin ◊ Sage 1 ◊ Superleaf
◊ Dragonfly FRN serrated ◊ Endura Gen 1 ◊ Rescue Gen 1 ◊ Endura 4 FFG ◊ Delica 4 half serrated ◊ Mule Team ◊ Spin ◊ Bushcraft UK
◊ S110V Forum Native 5 ◊ Black Nishijin Cricket

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Top 5 most wanted: Domino, Dice, CF Para-2, CF Cricket. Seeing a theme here?
mattman

Post by mattman »

DOH!

(I guess I got a little glassy-eyed when he mentioned "brass"...)
paladin

Post by paladin »

CarbonFiberNut wrote:Erm... The sage 4 is a back lock already, with bolsters and wood handles. Given that the Sage series is meant to pay tribute to LOCKING MECHANISMS and not handle materials, it seems silly to double up on backlocks.

Now, if you wanted to do that same combo in the chapparal, which is all about gentlemanly handle materials, it would be pretty groovy.

yea I know about the Sage 4, but I was referencing the Buck's more rearward-positioned lock ...not the midline position adopted on the Sage 4 in deference to Al Mar :) ...heck throw in a black leather belt sheath just like them Duke boys used to EDC!
Attachments
buck110.jpg
paladin

Post by paladin »

...and now that I think about it, a rear brass bolster may be engineered to eliminate the wood splitting problem Jack experienced with his S4's clip, plus it would be more authentic!
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

I'm hoping it's an Axial Lock, I've never been able to try one, but I've always wanted to try one! They look interesting and easy to use. I really hope Spyderco makes one, all the other companies that used to are discontinued and the customs are super expensive.

Come on Paul Axial lock......
I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints.
jaypowell0185

Post by jaypowell0185 »

G10 with a compression lock. This would be te perfect knife. Even though the sage 1 is almost perfect
c.joe

Post by c.joe »

Heart is broken.. we'll never have a Sage with a compression lock. Now lets shift our hopes to a smaller compression lock knife!
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

c.joe wrote:Heart is broken.. we'll never have a Sage with a compression lock. Now lets shift our hopes to a smaller compression lock knife!
More people need to start asking for the S to return with a solid blade and scales ;)
N. Brian Huegel

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

Why not talk to Ron Lake and built his version of the Rear Lock, i.e. Patent #3783509. I am sure that Spyderco and the Taichung factory would due this collaboration justice.

http://www.google.com/patents/US3783509 ... CDUQ6wEwAA
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.