Sage 5 ... any news??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
timlara

Re: Sage 5 ... any news??

Post by timlara »

Well, I've been spending too much money lately and need to cool it, so if history holds true, that means the Sage 5 will drop any day now! :D
Cujobob

Post by Cujobob »

Regarding the cf thing.. Cf is being done so much in the industry now that I would like to see some more thought put in by all companies. At the very least, use other types of CF (or colored versions) or have some milling done to the scales. Even some straight lines changes the look dramatically.

Anyways... I hope this new sage comes out soon. The peel ply cf is beautiful in person, way way different from the G-10 laminate appearance.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

I'm blanking right now.... have we ever seen peel ply CF from Taichung? Or will that material be supplied from US same as the steels are?
Going back to Caly.
timlara

Post by timlara »

I can't think of any peel ply CF from Taichung. It has always been the laminate AFAIK.

Also, in this video, Eric says it's a laminate on the Sage 5 production sample, even though it does look different than the other laminates in the past. Maybe it's a peel-ply + G10 laminate?

https://youtu.be/bHwm2DWOP4Y
swigert

Post by swigert »

I hope it's at least a little different from the sage 1 cf.
sal

Post by sal »

The CF is different that the 1. We're waiting on production.

sal
ronT2

Post by ronT2 »

Thanks for the update Sal. Looking forward to them.
My EDC rotation: Kapara, Chaparral CF, Mantra, Sage 1, Sage 5, Dice, Domino, Gayle Bradley 2, PakkaDelica, Native CFF
fmtanweer

Post by fmtanweer »

Once released, where could we purchase this knife? over at bentoboxshop?
and whats the estimated market price?
swigert

Post by swigert »

fmtanweer wrote:Once released, where could we purchase this knife? over at bentoboxshop?
and whats the estimated market price?
I'm sure BBS will have them. But so will every other major retailer. Knife works. Cutlery shoppe. Blade HQ. The list goes on and on.

Who knows about price. I'd guess somewhere in the current price range of the current sage models.
Fallen

Post by Fallen »

Different handle material for each Sage, hopefully the Sage 6 comes with Nishijin glass fiber! :D
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

timlara wrote:I can't think of any peel ply CF from Taichung. It has always been the laminate AFAIK.

Also, in this video, Eric says it's a laminate on the Sage 5 production sample, even though it does look different than the other laminates in the past. Maybe it's a peel-ply + G10 laminate?

https://youtu.be/bHwm2DWOP4Y
Just some info:
Peel-ply is not the construction of the layers, but the texturing on the surface of the CF. You can have peel-ply or not when you have the G-10/CF laminate, and you can have peel-ply on non-laminate CF and on other materials like G-10.
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I have a feeling the handle material of the Sage 5 is a true carbon fiber like the Positron and I guess a street price of about $160.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
dplafoll

Post by dplafoll »

RamZar wrote:I have a feeling the handle material of the Sage 5 is a true carbon fiber like the Positron and I guess a street price of about $160.
Man I'd be all about that right there. I know Eric said on one vid somewhere that they do the laminate to save money, since G-10 is way stronger than minimum much less full CF. But for something like this, I'd love to save the weight and the thickness more than the money.

I've been wanting a Sage, but which one? The 3 and 4 don't interest me as much, so Sage 1 or Sage 2? Turns out the answer is "Sage 5". ;)
Patrick LaFollette
Current: Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189, Chaparral 1, Techno 1, Delica 4 HAP-40, Dragonfly 2 HAP-40, Mantra 1, Ladybug Salt Hawkbill, Nirvana CPM, Endura 4 HAP-40, Sage 4, Para Military 2 CPM Cru-Wear, Sage 5, Caly3 HAP40, Sliverax, Lil' Nilakka, Chaparral Raffir Noble, Zulu, Manbug HAP40, Meerkat HAP40, Sage 1/Sage 2/Sage 3 CF, Introvert, Techno 2
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

dplafoll wrote:
RamZar wrote:I have a feeling the handle material of the Sage 5 is a true carbon fiber like the Positron and I guess a street price of about $160.
Man I'd be all about that right there. I know Eric said on one vid somewhere that they do the laminate to save money, since G-10 is way stronger than minimum much less full CF. But for something like this, I'd love to save the weight and the thickness more than the money.

I've been wanting a Sage, but which one? The 3 and 4 don't interest me as much, so Sage 1 or Sage 2? Turns out the answer is "Sage 5". ;)
I had also been doubting for ages over a Sage (1 or 2) or not and wondering if they were ever gonna make this one, was real happy to hear it was coming now the answer is clear for me as well! Love that compression lock. :)
(but I'll take any handle material)
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Yeah if it's full cf like on positron I'm all over it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

VeloWeave wrote:Yeah if it's full cf like on positron I'm all over it.
CF/G10 Laminate
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

It looks like the CF on the KW PM2 M4, very grippy like G10. At least I hope so, it's a very good texture.
Flipping Addict

Post by Flipping Addict »

I had preorders for this and the Advocate and gave up on them. For me, the longer these take to hit the street the less and less I care about them. Now, they are so far down the list it might be two years before I even consider them now.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Flipping Addict wrote:I had preorders for this and the Advocate and gave up on them. For me, the longer these take to hit the street the less and less I care about them. Now, they are so far down the list it might be two years before I even consider them now.
That's kinda how it works around here, then they drop and the race is on to get that first picture posted, then the frenzy starts as people start posting more pictures and describing how amazing the new piece is and before you know it you absolutely most positively cant live without one. :D then on to the next one :D

At least that's how it seems to work for me :o
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Thought I'd bump this thread (started by Mattman over 4 years ago!) to say that the Sage5 has indeed become generally available; to say that it features a compression lock in spite of the thread's many doubts and speculations; and to say that it replaces my much loved Sage2 as my favorite in the series, and will return a Sage to my EDC rotation.

Thanks Spydercrew for the flawless execution. And thanks Sal and Eric for changing course and answering the wish of a fair number here for one of your own locks.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”