Sage 5 ... any news??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Chris_H

Post by Chris_H »

KrisOK wrote:Actually, it was to honor the DESIGNERS of the locks, and to use the designer's favorite handle materials. Therefore the term 'Sage'. As in wise. While it IS about lock designs, it's more about the tribute than just displaying different lock designs. The fact that it IS a tribute is what would make it hubris for Sal to release a Sage with one of his own lock design. I'd be really surprised if he does release a Sage with one of his or Eric's lock designs.
Oh yes, that's right; thanks for the reminder. Sal's response makes more sense now.
"All your :spyder: are belong to us."
** WTC # 1032 1533 **
Holland

Post by Holland »

Evil D wrote:Hey Sal, couldn't you just say that Eric is a knife maker, and maybe just say that Eric invented the compression lock, and you're doing a compression lock Sage as a tribute to a fellow knife maker! See it's all in how you word it man :D
i see what u did there ;) :D ;) :D
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

with the discontinuation of the Sage 3.. care to speculate?

I for one would love to see orange g10 compression lock version. Mini PM2?
phaust

Post by phaust »

Unbrokenchain33 wrote:with the discontinuation of the Sage 3.. care to speculate?

I for one would love to see orange g10 compression lock version. Mini PM2?
Self praise doesn't seem to be a propensity of the Glessers, (unfortunately in this case :) )
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

If I had to guess, I would say there's a slip joint version coming at some point but I have no idea if there's a single maker who ever got credit for the design. Then again, there's technically no "lock" to feature so maybe not.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
M80

Post by M80 »

Evil D wrote:If I had to guess, I would say there's a slip joint version coming at some point but I have no idea if there's a single maker who ever got credit for the design. Then again, there's technically no "lock" to feature so maybe not.
Magnet lock maybe ?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

M80 wrote:Magnet lock maybe ?
The T-Mag was probably one of Spyderco's biggest failures as a knife, with Spyderco reduced to selling off the remainder of their stock for 80% off MSRP ($250 originally, reduced to $50 on clearance). It also has the distinction of being their shortest lived regular production knife, I believe. So I don't find it likely that they are keen to revisit the magnet "lock".
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
M80

Post by M80 »

I see i had no clue it was that much of a failure i knew it was disliked by many though.
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

Button lock Maybe? Or a backlock that is at the bottom of the knife like a Buck 110 hunter? Personally I'd like to see the ball bearing lock. If my rusty memory is correct Sal mentioned that as a possibility some years ago, but wasn't sure if it would fit on the sage given that they are sticking to the same handle and blade dimensions.

Grizz
nccole

Post by nccole »

I say a Hawk Lock by Gavin and Grant Hawk.
phaust

Post by phaust »

gdwtvb wrote:Button lock Maybe? Or a backlock that is at the bottom of the knife like a Buck 110 hunter? Personally I'd like to see the ball bearing lock. If my rusty memory is correct Sal mentioned that as a possibility some years ago, but wasn't sure if it would fit on the sage given that they are sticking to the same handle and blade dimensions.

Grizz
The Sage 3 isn't the same shape as the other Sages because the lock wouldn't fit, so that's not necessarily a deal-breaker.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Could anyone honestly charge Sal or Eric with a lack of humility for issuing a sage 5 compression lock, knowing the popularity of the para2? :confused:
dgebler

Post by dgebler »

Id love a sage 5 with a comp lock. preferably with that great taichung cf.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

+1 on the compression lock!
nccole

Post by nccole »

eric m. wrote:Could anyone honestly charge Sal or Eric with a lack of humility for issuing a sage 5 compression lock, knowing the popularity of the para2? :confused:
I like that they won't do it. Much respect for the decision.
Nav195

Post by Nav195 »

I was at SHOT this year and asked ED about the Sage 5 and I got nothing as far as anything being in the works. I don't think anything is coming down the pipe anytime soon. its a shame.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Nav195 wrote:I was at SHOT this year and asked ED about the Sage 5 and I got nothing as far as anything being in the works. I don't think anything is coming down the pipe anytime soon. its a shame.
brutal :(
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Slip joint sage? Lol good one ! :D :p

There was mention of a button lock in the works?
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ead/page59

I think the Glesser's are being far to modest about their in house lock designs, they are great innovators that deserve be immortalized in the series among their peers. Sal and Eric should pick their favorite and run with it.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

Holland wrote:brutal :(
Or maybe it's right around the corner? :)
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Compression lock, might as well use the best lock in one of the best platforms.