Sage 5 ... any news??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The question is: when??? :D
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Not sure. A few days ago he said two were in que and neither where compression locks :/....so if it's still 3 sages away, that could be a very long time haha.
AJBest

Post by AJBest »

Wow, this is something I am going to look forward to whenever it comes in. Sounds like a perfect EDC knife.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JNewell wrote:The question is: when??? :D
Based on Sal's other statement in this thread:
sal wrote:Thre are two locks in queue. Neither are Compresssion locks.

sal
I'd say the earliest we might see it would be in Sage 7. Given that Sage 5 hasn't been released yet, or even shown "for publication" at A'dam or Blade, and assuming at least a year between Sages, late 2017 would be about the earliest Compression lock lovers can hope for.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The Deacon wrote:Based on Sal's other statement in this thread:

I'd say the earliest we might see it would be in Sage 7. Given that Sage 5 hasn't been released yet, or even shown "for publication" at A'dam or Blade, and assuming at least a year between Sages, late 2017 would be about the earliest Compression lock lovers can hope for.
'twas basically a rhetorical question. ;)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

So, Sage 7 and 8 may possibly become Compression Lock and Ball Bearing Lock? Sage 5 and 6 are Button Lock and some other lock?
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
SpeedHoles

Re: Sage 5 ... any news??

Post by SpeedHoles »

Sage 5. What's the good word? :)
Going back to Caly.
mattman

Post by mattman »

New catalog is out... No mention of a new Sage... Just curious to see what the current status is...?
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Shame there's no compression lock version yet, if I run into a good deal on the 1 or 2 I might get one of those to try out during all the years we'll be waiting for the comp lock version.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I know that was meant as a joke, but I'd be all over a Sage with an Axis Lock.

And using the Axis lock with proper credit to Benchmade would be a great Spyderco-style move, showing how to do the right thing, by doing it themselves.
Bill S.

Post by Bill S. »

Yeah, the Benchmade Axis Lock is absolutely NOT a joke. I have plenty of them. My favorite, and the favorite of many, many others as well.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

I think Gavin and Grant Hawks are great candidates.. Also, would be fun to own a Sage with plunge lock (?) like the Puma 777 or the lock type i had on an old Rigid knife, i don't know what its called, but you pulled the blade forward to release the lock.
Whatever it will be, i am in line. Have the first 4 and love them all!
EDIT: It was a Timberlite with Neeley lock i had/meant. Did have a Rigid as well though, but that one had a back lock.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Ruarch

Post by Ruarch »

I think a Sage with an Opinel type twist lock would be awesome in a tongue in cheek kind of way.
Bacon. Sometimes beer, but mostly bacon. I like Spydercos.
SpyderNation member #0621

Recently acquired: M390 PM2

On deck: KW Ti Military Exclusive, Slysz Bowie, S90V/CPM154 Manix 2, RN Chap

WRU SHAMAN!
hudsonhawk

Post by hudsonhawk »

I'm very interested in the answer to this. I tried to get it out of some of the employees at the Seconds sale but got no answer. I have really been enjoying the Sage series. I found I prefer the Sage ergos and blade shape over the Chaps. I think it is fun to collect the series and was lucky to finally get a Sage 4 before the prices became stupid. I'd love to see the next one in line show up, but with three of the four models still in production, I'm not sure what the future plans will be for the 5.
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:
Most recently added and enjoying: CF Cruwear Manix 2 and LW Manix 2
Daily Carry: Blue CF Domino and well-loved Manix 2 LW.
Squidish1992

Post by Squidish1992 »

Sage 5 cf/g10 compression lock mid year 2016, can't wait
mattman

Re:

Post by mattman »

sal wrote:Hi Mattman,

We're working on one now. Still waiting for the completion of a proto. It's a very difficult model to make so no info yet.

sal
I gather this one is still vexing, given that the Comp lock is now scheduled... Still curious to which one this is/was, and if it's still in the pipeline...?
SG89

Re: Re:

Post by SG89 »

mattman wrote:

We're working on one now. Still waiting for the completion of a proto. It's a very difficult model to make so no info yet.

sal
I gather this one is still vexing, given that the Comp lock is now scheduled... Still curious to which one this is/was, and if it's still in the pipeline...?
Did you watch the recent SHOT Show video? Sage 5 makes an appearance.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mattman

Re: Re:

Post by mattman »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
mattman wrote:

sal
Did you watch the recent SHOT Show video? Sage 5 makes an appearance.
Yes. That's why I referenced the Comp lock being scheduled as the sage 5 in my post. Apparently the one that Sal referenced is still proving difficult, as the Compression lock has leap-frogged it...

Edited to add: When this thread was started, Spyderco was still not planning on honoring themselves in this series, that changed quite a while after Sals quote...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

A compression lock Sage5 sounds great and I will pick one up for sure but am less than thrilled about more carbon fiber. I would love some thing else to add variety to the lineup.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:A compression lock Sage5 sounds great and I will pick one up for sure but am less than thrilled about more carbon fiber. I would love some thing else to add variety to the lineup.
I agree completely!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb