Sage 5 ... any news??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

akaAK wrote:Compression lock, might as well use the best lock in one of the best platforms.
I second this.
Delica PE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Stretch SE, Manbug SE, Mule 16, Sage 1, black/satin PM2, Native 5
CanadaDude

Post by CanadaDude »

I think Spyderco out-did itself with the perfection of the Sage 2. How any other Sage can follow that is beyond me.
Holland

Post by Holland »

CanadaDude wrote:I think Spyderco out-did itself with the perfection of the Sage 2. How any other Sage can follow that is beyond me.
The sage 2 is my favourite as well. sold mine to my brother and really regret it haha. might need to purchase one in the future after i sell a couple knives
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Leon

Post by Leon »

Holland wrote:The sage 2 is my favourite as well. sold mine to my brother and really regret it haha. might need to purchase one in the future after i sell a couple knives
I personally prefer my Sage 1 to 2..to me the carbon fiber feels much better in hand than the titanium..
Mutt

Post by Mutt »

Leon wrote:I personally prefer my Sage 1 to 2..to me the carbon fiber feels much better in hand than the titanium..
+1 for the sage 1
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

From the Spyderco Sage info:

"The plan is to offer an ongoing series of Sage Folders with many of the different and ingenious locking devices and mechanisms the knife industry has to offer."

and:

"The Sage Series manifests Spyderco's three decades of pioneering knife crafting and innovating....Each rendition highlights a locking device or mechanism and credits that mechanism's inventor."

I think this is totally consistent with using a lock designed by Spyderco :D
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
eric m.

Post by eric m. »

DougC-3 wrote:From the Spyderco Sage info:

"The plan is to offer an ongoing series of Sage Folders with many of the different and ingenious locking devices and mechanisms the knife industry has to offer."

and:

"The Sage Series manifests Spyderco's three decades of pioneering knife crafting and innovating....Each rendition highlights a locking device or mechanism and credits that mechanism's inventor."

I think this is totally consistent with using a lock designed by Spyderco :D
Definitely agree! Can't wait for a Sage compression lock, or one of their new lock designs! :)
VeloWeave

Post by VeloWeave »

Any update on the prototype?
Most Carried: Sebenza Insingo small, Chaparral, Modded Southard Flipper, Delica 4, Ritter Mini-Grip, Techno, Injection 3.0
Wishlist 2014: Sage 2, Mnandi, Krein Alpha,
Other's I own or have sold: Vallotton, Anso Zulu, Blur CF, Scallion, Leaf Storm, Sage 2, Caly 3 CF
Flashlight EDC: Preon 0, Peak Eiger AAA Oveready edition with QTC & momentary button Nichia 219 emitter, Beta-QR, Muyshondt Aeon
Revival

Post by Revival »

eric m. wrote:Definitely agree! Can't wait for a Sage compression lock, or one of their new lock designs! :)
That would be awesome but how much would that take away from the slim design? Im sure they will figure something out. :D
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The only sage I have is a sage 3 and I love it. I really like the bolt lock. Smooth....................
The only thing I changed was the clip. I like black clips on black knives so I swapped that out.

I would like to see a compression lock in the sage series as well.
Holland

Post by Holland »

a compression lock sage would be a must buy. I'm sure it will happen eventually, but I'm also pretty sure Sal is going to want to do a few other locks before honouring himself
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Although titanium handles and frame locks are not among my favorites, I think the Sage2 is about as spare a modern folder as could be created, and for that reason I carried mine exclusively for well over a year. I probably still would, except that my numerous other Spydies beckoned for pocket duty.

For one reason or another, I have not included the Sage series in my current rotation scheme but will continue acquiring Sages. They feature my preferred blade shape, they pay homage to lock designers, and their sale supports Alzheimer's research (my mother is afflicted).

The Sage5 would have a compression lock (my favorite) if the choice was mine.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Sage5 w/integral compression lock would be awesome and doable but if it was titanium it would be a lot like a Sage2 in appearance and price. We'll see.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I've been really surprised at how much I like the Sage 3 (I bought it looking for a "Manix Jr.").

I'll be in for a compression lock Sage, but the one I am really waiting for is the CBBL Sage. That's a must have for me.
mattman

Post by mattman »

Bringing this back up from the depths...

Have there been any new developments?

I thought we might get some news in June, but I didn't see any reports mentioning this...
Parhelion

Post by Parhelion »

How about Sage 5 with compression lock, digicamo G-10 and DLC coating? Just like PM2

And here is quick mocap:

BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Parhelion wrote:How about Sage 5 with compression lock, digicamo G-10 and DLC coating? Just like PM2

And here is quick mocap:

Wow that's a great idea for a knife. I don't have a sage but I'd get two of those!!
~~~~ USn Catcherman ~~~~ Tasman Se ~~~~ Centofante 3 ~~~~ UKPK blue SE ~~~~ Goddard OD Sprint Pe ~~~~ Ambitious Pe blue~~~~ Zdp Ladybug ~~~~ Manix 2 lwt Pe ~~~~ Delica orange Pe ~~~~ Swick 3 fb ~~~~ Native brown xhp ~~~~ Persian 2 ~~~~ Tenacious green ps ~~~~ Drangonfly Sb ~~~~
jalcon

Post by jalcon »

Haven't bought a knife in a while, but I got to say..a sage 5 with a compression lock would be my grail. Amazing platform + amazing lock? Umm please Sal?

So the Sage seris pays tribute to great locks, Sal, you guys just so happened to have come up with one called the compression lock, so use it on the new sage!!! :D
sal

Post by sal »

Thre are two locks in queue. Neither are Compresssion locks.

sal
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

sal wrote:Thre are two locks in queue. Neither are Compresssion locks.

sal
Hah, a true man of mystery! Ok, ball bearing lock and...pffffft...the new stop lock? In that order.