Whats with the Spyderhawk Salt being Disco'd??!!!!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DCDesigns

Whats with the Spyderhawk Salt being Disco'd??!!!!

Post by DCDesigns »

I had to step away from the hobby for a couple months, and I come back and the spyderhawk salt is Discontinued!!!! Now the harpy and tasman are all we have for hawlkbills I believe. JD Spydo, you must be bummed! I never got the chance to buy one so Im right there with you. I had looked for a SE forever on the bay, but PE is all anyone ever had, even now. What is with that? Was it a crappy seller? I dont see why it would be...

Let me guess sal, you are just pulling it momentarily so you can retool it in 110v right? Or to make way for the Civillian Salt, right? Its coming back isnt it? please tell me its coming back in a sprint or something PLEASE?! lol
JD Spydo

Hawkbills taking a hit here in 2012

Post by JD Spydo »

DCDesigns wrote:I had to step away from the hobby for a couple months, and I come back and the spyderhawk salt is Discontinued!!!! Now the harpy and tasman are all we have for hawlkbills I believe. JD Spydo, you must be bummed! I never got the chance to buy one so Im right there with you. I had looked for a SE forever on the bay, but PE is all anyone ever had, even now. What is with that? Was it a crappy seller? I dont see why it would be...

Let me guess sal, you are just pulling it momentarily so you can retool it in 110v right? Or to make way for the Civillian Salt, right? Its coming back isnt it? please tell me its coming back in a sprint or something PLEASE?! lol
Yeah DC you've got that one right :mad: >> I'm not just bummed I'm just outright livid over what's happening at Hawkbill Nation these days. First of all about 4 months ago I lost or got stolen my G-10 Harpy ( a knife I had EDCed for almost 5 years) :( >> and now they deleted the H-1 Spyderhawk from the line up :confused:

If I didn't know better I would almost believe that there is a conspiracy against serrated Hawkbils taking place :eek: . There are a few of them still on dealer's shelves if you just get on the computer and look for them.

They need to at least bring back or Sprint Run the G-10 Harpy with VG-10 or one of the Supersteels. Not to mention they even did it in an election year :rolleyes:

I know that sales ultimately dictate what goes on the main line up. But Spyderco is the King Of Hawkbills and they should never lose sight of that. Time to make your feelings heard you great fans and supporters of Hawkbill blades :cool:
Long Live the SPYDEREDGE Spyderco Hawkbills RULE!!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I have a PE & SE Tasman and a PE & SE Spyderhawk so I'm all set, but your point is well taken. They are all great knives.

Ken
玉鋼
JD Spydo

Hawkbill DNA??

Post by JD Spydo »

kbuzbee wrote:I have a PE & SE Tasman and a PE & SE Spyderhawk so I'm all set, but your point is well taken. They are all great knives.

Ken
There will be Spyderhawks available till at least later in the year. Once dealer stock is deleted then the auction sites will be the only source. I'm just hoping that there will be future Sprint runs of both the Tasman ( or Harpy) and Spyderhawk in different or new blade steels. I just can't believe that Spyderco is phasing out Hawkbills>> NO!! I can't accept that :rolleyes:

Spyderedged Hawkbills are truly part of their DNA
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Unless there's a problem with material supply, slow sales is generally the reason any model or variant gets dropped. It's rare for the SE version of a knife to sell out faster than the PE, but hawkbill and sheepsfoot blades are the exception to that. FWIW, the Spyderhawk Salt was among the knives listed as being slated for retirement in the 2012 Discontinued List thread last December, so it's not really surprising they're getting harder to find.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

My guess: Poor sales.

On the flip side it was available as a huge volume sprint in H1 for both edge configurations.
Donut

Post by Donut »

I'm also surprised it was discontinued. It was THE hawkbill. I don't know how they can top it unless they're shifting to the Endura 4 frame. That would be tough to do with the liners.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

The Spyderhawk going away again made me sad too. It's a bit of a niche knife, though. Maybe if it'd been marketed more towards gardeners/landscapers/etc.... the knife is a beast when it comes to things like clearing out blackberries and other brambles.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Slash

Post by Slash »

Already own a yellow aqua serrated and a toxic catcherman, no need for anything else.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

To me, the real surprise was that the Spyderhawk Salt ever got produced. The original Spyderhawk was not a great seller. The blue Forum version was a losing deal for Spyderco. For those who missed out on getting one while they were available, I suggest diligently monitoring eBay and the forums with B-S-T sections.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

The Spyderhawk will eventually return in a different format

Post by JD Spydo »

Actually I wasn't surprised at all when Sal took Clovisc's suggestion for an H-1 Spyderhawk. The fact that they made it with H-1 steel made it a marketing success for guys in the fishing/shipping industries.

I will admit that it still puzzles me as to why the first run VG-10 blue PE and black SE Spyderhawks were not a success at the box office. But I'm willing to bet that the H-1 version out-sold the original VG-10 version by a huge margin.

With there being so few Hawkbill blades on the knife market I am sort of surprised that the H-1 Spyderhawk didn't do better than it did during it's tenure.

In some ways I think it was just ahead of it's time. That was certainly the case with the VG-10 version. If they would start to make some variants of the Harpy like with G-10, Micarta and Titanium handles I think we could see a huge sales boost for that model. The Harpy and Tasman are a bit more sheeple friendly than the Spyderhawk and Superhawk were.

I think what killed the Superhawk right out of the gate was the fact that the knife was never offered with a Spyderedge. A Spyderedged Hawkbill has dozens of more uses than does a plain edged Hawkbill. The Superhawk to me was the best constructed Hawkbill since the G-10 Harpy.

I got a feeling we haven't seen the last of the Spyderhawk. I can only guess as to how it will re-appear on the landscape.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

My guess is that many people would have no clue how to sharpen them, and probably thinking of that, never made the purchase. Sad though... I think they would have had better luck making exclusively SE Spyderhawks. The PE is probably what killed it since no one wants a hard to sharpen knife in a steel that looses an edge quickly. What MADE the spyderhawk salt for me was the SE version being such a winner in the edge retention department. I would have just sent it to spyderco anually and called it a day if I had found one.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think the main thing that killed the Superhawk was the price and the niche audience that buys hawkbills vs pop culture.

Right or wrong people want things they can understand. At least the bulk buying audience. Most those folks couldn't justify spending 5 times more for a snazzier G10 Crossbill.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Blerv wrote:I think the main thing that killed the Superhawk was the price and the niche audience that buys hawkbills vs pop culture.

Right or wrong people want things they can understand. At least the bulk buying audience. Most those folks couldn't justify spending 5 times more for a snazzier G10 Crossbill.
Talking about the spyderhawk here sir, not the superhawk lol. Although I do like that model as well.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

DCDesigns wrote:Talking about the spyderhawk here sir, not the superhawk lol. Although I do like that model as well.
I was referring to this:
JD Spydo wrote:I think what killed the Superhawk right out of the gate was the fact that the knife was never offered with a Spyderedge. A Spyderedged Hawkbill has dozens of more uses than does a plain edged Hawkbill. The Superhawk to me was the best constructed Hawkbill since the G-10 Harpy.

The Spyderhawk clearly died due to a lack of sales. If it was selling like snow cones in the Sahara Desert I doubt it would be going away. Maybe if they sold it just as black and SE it would have survived, maybe not.

I doubt they had problems due to ease of sharpening. The Harpy and Tasman are still in the line-up.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Blerv wrote:I was referring to this:

The Spyderhawk clearly died due to a lack of sales. If it was selling like snow cones in the Sahara Desert I doubt it would be going away. Maybe if they sold it just as black and SE it would have survived, maybe not.

I doubt they had problems due to ease of sharpening. The Harpy and Tasman are still in the line-up.
Ahh my bad, I missed that...
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

The yellow handle couldn't have helped. No matter how much buzz you hear on any color, black will still outsell it many times over. Seen this on many things other than knives.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

jzmtl wrote:The yellow handle couldn't have helped. No matter how much buzz you hear on any color, black will still outsell it many times over. Seen this on many things other than knives.
Can you imagine anything more sinister than A black DLC bladed Black handle (and hardware) spyderhawk!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

DCDesigns wrote:Can you imagine anything more sinister than A black DLC bladed Black handle (and hardware) spyderhawk!
A black DLC bladed Black handle (and hardware) civilian.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:A black DLC bladed Black handle (and hardware) civilian.
You know I thought of that the second I pressed enter. lol. The spyderhawk is still pretty scary is you ask me. Scale it up 30% and it would take the civiliian in visial impact. And any piece of vegitation or rope you throw at it.