my paramilitary 2 will not keep or take an edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Stephen, please share a few photos with us of your Para2 with close ups of the edge if possible.

On another post, you mentioned that you have come to love other Spyders. That's good to hear. What other Spydies do you have and are you able to sharpen those blades without any issues please?

Hope that you are well and take care.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Something doesn't add up here folks.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
SDR

Post by SDR »

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
stephenhines88

Post by stephenhines88 »

my spyderco tenacious with a full spyderedge
78lilred

Post by 78lilred »

Photos please, thanks.

Yes I'm feeding the troll.
M390 Para2, CTS-XHP Para2, CTS-204P Para2, Gayle Bradley, Techno, Bob T Slipit, M390 Mule, Southard, Southfork, Air, Tuff, ZDP Caly 3.5.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

stephenhines88 wrote:my spyderco tenacious with a full spyderedge
You're funny. :D
maa14

Post by maa14 »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:You're funny. :D
hehe.... :D
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
peacekeeper

Post by peacekeeper »

Hi stephen,welcome here..
I am workink( see the K write it that way,the igramar is perfect!!!
So again,i am working with kids 25 years,and i like kids alot(wado ryu karate)and i respect them and they respect me,ask your self why!!!! My 12 year old daughter is smarter than..meeee!!!
Sorry but get a grip and be careful!!
The word is RESPECT,and i dont see any..
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Stevenheines88, if you are using a 6,000 grit whet stone and nothing else expect it to take a couple of days. S30V isn't difficult to sharpen, but diamonds or silicone carbide type stuff can be your best friend. In addition, if you are sharpening freehand on a whetstone how are you measuring and holding that angle?

You really need to give us more information. In addition, how are you sharpening a SE Tenacious?

What other S30V knives do you have experience with?

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Stephen,

Sorry for your frustration. More than likely, the problem is not with the steel. Our blades are heat treated in batches and it is very difficult to have just one blade be bad. It seems that the good folks on this forum are trying to help you with your frustration, though it seems you are a bit reluctant to share information. I would suggest that you get a 10X-12X loupe and study the edge on your knife while you are sharpening. As mentioned, finer grit goes very slow, best to use the coarsest grit until you have both sides of the edge at apex. This is easily seen with a loupe. Good luck.

sal
maa14

Post by maa14 »

sal wrote: I would suggest that you get a 10X-12X loupe and study the edge on your knife while you are sharpening. As mentioned, finer grit goes very slow, best to use the coarsest grit until you have both sides of the edge at apex. This is easily seen with a loupe. Good luck.

sal
this ^ for sure
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Slash

Post by Slash »

I want a crack at it. Send it to me.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

stephenhines88 wrote:my paramilitary 2 will not keep or take an edge
Did it have "an edge" out of the box? If so, then it will certainly do it again. These modern steels are really good but if you let them dull to butterknife levels then you have your work cut out for you. You certainly won't bring it back to razor sharp without persistence & patience.
USMC RETIRED
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Clip

Post by Clip »

Leatherneck wrote:Did it have "an edge" out of the box? If so, then it will certainly do it again. These modern steels are really good but if you let them dull to butterknife levels then you have your work cut out for you. You certainly won't bring it back to razor sharp without persistence & patience.
Or an Ambitious, or perhaps a Tenacious.

:)
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris