my paramilitary 2 will not keep or take an edge

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stephenhines88

my paramilitary 2 will not keep or take an edge

Post by stephenhines88 »

it makes me upset an i dnt know what to do it have been like this sense day 1
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

What are you sharpening with??
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
Clip

Post by Clip »

stephenhines88 wrote:it makes me upset an i dnt know what to do it have been like this sense day 1
This is a terrible start to a thread. You need to give details on your equipment, methods, use, etc. or no one will be able to help you.

Edit: spell check would help as well.

Edit 2: right forum would help even more.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
stephenhines88

Post by stephenhines88 »

look i sharpen knives enough to know what im doing im about to start my own business but this knife will not take an edge
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Specifics > vague opinions > trolling

That should help.
Clip

Post by Clip »

stephenhines88 wrote:look i sharpen knives enough to know what im doing im about to start my own business but this knife will not take an edge
Hey, I perform surgery enough to patch people up but this guy will not stop bleeding! :)
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

What kind of sharpening system are you using?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

if ya dont have a sharpmaker, get one, if your using a hardware store stone, bin it ;)
maa14

Post by maa14 »

razorsharp wrote:if ya dont have a sharpmaker, get one, if your using a hardware store stone, bin it ;)
Yep and IMO if you can't sharpen zdp (harder to sharpen than s30v according to almost everyone, though I have no s30v now) then I personally don't think you should start a sharpening business.
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Fat Goat Forge

Post by Fat Goat Forge »

stephenhines88 wrote:look i sharpen knives enough to know what im doing im about to start my own business but this knife will not take an edge
Congratulations on starting your new sharpening business. What is the fee to sharpen a knife?

If its reasonable I will plan on sending you my entire collection for sharpening. Its not every day that I run into someone as skilled at sharpening as you clearly are and I want to take advantage of any "grand opening" specials you may run as you launch your sharpening business.

I am sure you will do very well.
George Spear
Fat Goat Forge
Master Farrier (horseshoer)
Apprentice Knifemaker

My Spyderco's: Delica Orange 4 FFG, Gayle Bradley C134CF CMP-M4, UKPK Maroon Drop Point FRN CTS-BD1, Dragonfly 2 ZDP-189.

On Order: Caly 3 Super Blue
Sht

Post by Sht »

Steel is steel! The only variable is you.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
unit

Post by unit »

Oh my...

Spyderco offers free sharpening. Something tells me that they will return to you a sharp knife (probably the same knife that you are having difficulty with).
Thanks,
Ken (my real name)

...learning something new all the time.
SteelyDan

Post by SteelyDan »

If it looks like a troll, walks like a troll,talks like a troll.......................
"I would rather wake up in the middle of no where than in any city on earth" (Steve McQueen)

"There are just two things money cannot buy. One is True Love, and the other is Home Grown Tomatoes"
Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

Did you try the other side of the blade, the one without the hole. That's the side I usually cut with and it's pretty sharp. Just kidding :-)

Hope you figure out how to fix your problem, a dull knife is a pet peeve of mine too.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Its probably best that you don't handle anything sharp.
stephenhines88

Post by stephenhines88 »

huh real cute guys this is the only s30v knife that has ever given me this much dam trouble look i sharpened it to a 17 degree bevel in either side 34 degree inclusive i even went as far as a 6000 grit Japanese king whetstone and still no good
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

stephenhines88 wrote:huh real cute guys this is the only s30v knife that has ever given me this much dam trouble look i sharpened it to a 17 degree bevel in either side 34 degree inclusive i even went as far as a 6000 grit Japanese king whetstone and still no good

Grit rating has nothing to do with it...

It's either sharp or it's not, I can get screaming sharp edges off a Fine Norton SIC Stone, steel doesn't matter.
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Spyderco has a spellchecker, but it will not report on improper homophones.

We should start keeping points for every question deflected, or answered with a non-answer. This stephenhines88 has a couple threads that follow this same pattern.

Discussion of technique and tools is necessary to move ahead in remedying this problem. Questions regarding that haven't been answered to any degree substantial enough to offer help.

Finally, where are you taking English classes Stephenhines88? The level of reading comprehension and patterns of writing indicate that you understand spoken English, but could use some serious aide in written English. Right now, you could not pass a TOEFL, and that does not bode well in a world where people from outside of the USA are competing for all jobs involving the English language.

That is, unless the OP is trolling. It's hard to tell on these ones.
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

stephenhines88 wrote:huh real cute guys this is the only s30v knife that has ever given me this much dam trouble look i sharpened it to a 17 degree bevel in either side 34 degree inclusive i even went as far as a 6000 grit Japanese king whetstone and still no good
Ok, can you show us that you really can sharpen other knives? I'm sorry to say but as of the moment, you don't have high credibility rating here just yet.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Ankerson wrote:Grit rating has nothing to do with it...

It's either sharp or it's not
this
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley