Whale Rescue Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Back to possible uses: the whale rescue blade should work decently on large succulent growth such as the giant bird of paradise plants in my yard. Not compelling enough. Cutting rope/cordage at a distance seems like the best use for this tool, not coincidentally what it was designed for.
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

I'm thinking of putting a 6-10" olive wood handle on it, or another hard wood and using it as a "hand sickle" for cutting corn stalks, watermelon of the vine, squash, etc. I know it's a little overkill, but it would be a fun project and a fun tool afterwards. Maybe add a screw socket (like you see on painter tools) in the end so I could take Deacon's idea attach it to a long pole and cut kites or similar down from high places.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

RedRunner wrote:Just call them if you have doubts and need to be convinced for some reason. Not a lot I can do to convince you nor am I on a campaign to do that. It's a bit of high jack from my intended original post. My interest is in how some one might use this blade. I'm sure when they are much closer to the production release they will make an announcement. As far as producing at a loss, I hope you understand that is what they are doing when they give them away. In this case they will be selling the blade. You are mixing two completely different scenarios.
Many people have come on here and asked where to buy the whale blade, and the answer has always been "you cant." No need to take it personal. Many a time people have made claims about one model being this or that, I choose not to invest much into it until I hear it from the usual souces. There is a lot of heresay out there, I did not mean any disrespect by asking where you heard what you are saying. And since the asnwer to what you could use the whale blade for, depends entirely on whether you can get a whale blade at all, I did not feel I was hi jacking anything. Unless you are speaking purely hypothetically that is...
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

DCDesigns wrote:Many people have come on here and asked where to buy the whale blade, and the answer has always been "you cant." No need to take it personal. Many a time people have made claims about one model being this or that, I choose not to invest much into it until I hear it from the usual souces. There is a lot of heresay out there, I did not mean any disrespect by asking where you heard what you are saying. And since the asnwer to what you could use the whale blade for, depends entirely on whether you can get a whale blade at all, I did not feel I was hi jacking anything. Unless you are speaking purely hypothetically that is...
Spyderco sends out a monthly e-mail called the "Spyderco Byte" to those who have subscribed to receive it. I save every one of those in an e-mail archive folder. I just did a quick scan through them and none featured the Whale Rescue Blade. I'm not sure about the e-mail OP received but the official one is the "Byte". Perhaps it is possible he has an "inside source" or a buddy that works at Spyderco.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The thread is 3 pages long and DC brings up a good point. Where did you hear about this?

I'm not expecting it to be a rumor thread but we might as well attend to the validity of the product release.
boxer93

Post by boxer93 »

RedRunner,
It would be interesting if offered for sale. I've always thought this was one of the best Spyderco products that was never for public consumption.
At one point I thought it would have been interesting if they built a small consumer blade that would help fund the real ones.
Hand grinding those serrations must be very time consuming.
Cheers
Chris
Be Excellent to each other.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

Let's see if I can clarify this. I'm pretty sure I'm an official source (and I've been directly involved in the project since day one).

The Whale Rescue Blade is going to be made available as a regular production item. The e-mail referred to was sent out to our Collector Club members. Because it is such a unique item we've given our Collectors a choice to receive it with their number engraved as usual.

As mentioned, the Whale Rescue Blade will now be made with H1 and for that reason it is being produced in Japan. It will also have a new SKU #. The original made from 440C here in Golden was the BWRS and the new H1 version will be the BWRSH1. The move to H1 and production in Japan was due to increased demand from conservancy programs as well as new interest for use in the military and the marine industry. The MSRP will be $179.95. Once Collectors are done I'll make a regular new product announcement.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

So there you are. Thanks Taz.

So will jdavis be buying 10 of these?
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Well how about that. I know someone who might want to buy one. I sent this guy a pair of Tasmans but this might be a great upgrade Whale of a Tale

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ight=whale
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

Now that it's official. I'll take 2 please! :D
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

DCDesigns wrote:No need to take it personal....
No offense taken, I didn't think it was personal. I'm just not employed by or represent Spyderco in anyway and I knew you were looking for an official announcement - hence the suggestion you contact Spyderco directly for it. I was strickly interested in how folks would use the blade when I started the thread.

Anyway it sounds like Kristi's post should satisfy most people's dis-belief - so we can dispel that concern.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:So there you are. Thanks Taz.

So will jdavis be buying 10 of these?
Bahahahahahaa
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Thx Kristi. No offense RR.

Details have an uncanny ability to bypass drama ;) .
JAfromMN

Post by JAfromMN »

I want one :)

I would add a nice 5 6 inch wood handel and make a Vegetation Assassination device.

I love my serrated blades I'm happy these are finely coming up for sale.

It will be out of my price range but who know''s it's worth it :D

I've had idea's for a W.R.B. For a Long Long time.

Serrated short sword :P
My favorite Spyderco is the one I'm carrying now :p
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Very cool. Now the Spyderco enthusiasts can begin the process of justifying our "need" for a whale rescue blade. H-1 seems ideal for this in two ways: it's the most durable SE blade material Spyderco has yet used, and it won't rust in or near salt water.

Will we have the option to buy a handle from Spyderco? If not, this ought to spawn a lot of creative original handle designs, which is a good thing in my opinion. A different handle for each application.
arjay18

Post by arjay18 »

I have a crazy idea, since the whale rescue is mostly a specialized blade. Why not put up a database wherein those who owns one can sign up indicating their general location if they are willing to respond to an emergency. Who knows, a whale might be tangled on some net near your coastline and you might be able to lend a hand to your local officials.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

arjay18 wrote:I have a crazy idea, since the whale rescue is mostly a specialized blade. Why not put up a database wherein those who owns one can sign up indicating their general location if they are willing to respond to an emergency. Who knows, a whale might be tangled on some net near your coastline and you might be able to lend a hand to your local officials.
Good idea. Most buyers will likely be collectors, but a used blade might be even more collectable, it would be great to say, "This blade was used to save a whale..."
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

phillipsted wrote:Guys!

The really important question is: WHERE'S THE SPYDIE HOLE? :eek:

TedP

Good question, Will this be the first Spyderco blade sold without a hole or at least a trapezoid recess?
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

RedRunner wrote:No offense taken, I didn't think it was personal. I'm just not employed by or represent Spyderco in anyway and I knew you were looking for an official announcement - hence the suggestion you contact Spyderco directly for it. I was strickly interested in how folks would use the blade when I started the thread.

Anyway it sounds like Kristi's post should satisfy most people's dis-belief - so we can dispel that concern.
I was just curious where you heard it since I could find no mentions my self. Im glad Taz came in to clarify, Im sorry for doubting you. Now to get to work designing a folding mechanism for it so I can EDC it! what do you think, ball bearing lock or perhaps a comp lock...
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

TazKristi wrote:
The move to H1 and production in Japan was due to increased demand from conservancy programs as well as new interest for use in the military and the marine industry.

Kristi
Ok, that puts to rest the theory that I had that spyderco made too many or something and had to get rid of them. Im glad to hear there is an INCREASE in interest in them, hopefully that will result in more wild animals being saved (and now that the production model will exist, more kites freed from entanglements). Being that it will be all H1 now, that long serrated blade will be quite a formidable tool! MAJOR upgrad from 440 in my opinion since as we all know serrated H1 puts s90v to shame!