Whale Rescue Blade

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RedRunner

Whale Rescue Blade

Post by RedRunner »

I'm on the fence whether or not I should get the Whale Rescue Blade. I'm not in much of an environment to put something like that to use. How have others used it or would consider using it. Seems like a mighty nice piece of steel to be hooking on to a long pole to cut things on a tree, etc. Can't see cutting heavy weeds or corn stalks with it and I've got a couple heavy machetes for that.

Anyone have pictures of how they have set up their handle/blade?

Definitely a nice piece for the right purpose though. Spyderco designs never cease to amaze me. And I really appreciate the cause behind this one.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

umm unless you are actually saving whales, you can't get one. i see that you are from my hometown and i know there aren't any whales in the Chicago river but maybe you can find one in Lake Michigan :p J/K ;)
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

tonydahose wrote: maybe you can find one in Lake Michigan :p J/K ;)
Well, you can try to make the case ;) Worth a shot if he wants one.

Ken
玉鋼
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

tonydahose wrote:umm unless you are actually saving whales, you can't get one. i see that you are from my hometown and i know there aren't any whales in the Chicago river but maybe you can find one in Lake Michigan :p J/K ;)
Not to mention you certainly can't carry one here. :)

Spyderco announced today that they will be offering them to the general public and I'm just trying to decide if I could use it for something. Neat looking, but I'm having trouble figuring out the application...cutting string?

For those of you who may have not seen what it is - here is the link:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=279
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I'm not seeing where they're offering them to the general public. Although the MSRP is only $1 - what a deal!
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

captnvegtble wrote:I'm not seeing where they're offering them to the general public. Although the MSRP is only $1 - what a deal!
I provided the link for a picture, not to support the fact they will be offering it for sale to the public. I received an e-mail today and I'm assuming when appropriate they will make the announcement in this forum. The MSRP will be $179.95.

But back on point, my question is what would people use one of these for, outside of saving whales? I'm trying to decide if I want to order one.
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

RedRunner wrote:I provided the link for a picture, not to support the fact they will be offering it for sale to the public. I received an e-mail today and I'm assuming when appropriate they will make the announcement in this forum. The MSRP will be $179.95.

But back on point, my question is what would people use one of these for, outside of saving whales? I'm trying to decide if I want to order one.
Ahhh... I see, got it.

Well, aside from freeing a whale from a net, you might want to buy one if a Dragon ever got caught in a net and you didn't want to get too close. Otherwise I'm not sure what you would use it for. Something like trimming tree branches high up would be easier with the proper tool (I don't now the name of those tree pruners on a pole).
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Hmm, where might a serrated blade designed to be mounted on a pole be useful? Kite retrieval?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RedRunner

Post by RedRunner »

captnvegtble wrote:Something like trimming tree branches high up would be easier with the proper tool (I don't now the name of those tree pruners on a pole).
I've got a Stihl extendable pole with a micro chain saw blade on the end for that. :D . Must be a use out there. I've heard it is ideal for cutting a net off a basketball hoop...
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Billhooks are useful for brush clearing and the like. Or put a normal handle on it instead of mounting it on a pole for a killer machete. Bet it'd go through blackberry brush like a hot knife through butter.
Newest :spyder: in hand: Halloween Handle Hap40 Endura and Delica.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

It's pretty specialized, hence why it was so good for the task.

I would mainly use it for gladiator matches and grim-reapering.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

RedRunner wrote:Not to mention you certainly can't carry one here. :)

Spyderco announced today that they will be offering them to the general public and I'm just trying to decide if I could use it for something. Neat looking, but I'm having trouble figuring out the application...cutting string?

For those of you who may have not seen what it is - here is the link:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=279
my bad, i was just going off of what Sal had said along time ago when someone mentioned that they wanted one.
The Deacon wrote:Hmm, where might a serrated blade designed to be mounted on a pole be useful? Kite retrieval?
no Paul for that you use the Blade's boomerrang
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Well, I guess you could always use it to clear some shooting lanes for your favorite deer stand. (But I guess they already make a tool for that too ;) ).
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
thog94

Post by thog94 »

The PSB people at work had purchased some a couple of years ago. They weren't able to use them as the directive came down that they weren't to deal with entangled whales. I've inquired about them a few times but no one knows where they disappeared to.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:Hmm, where might a serrated blade designed to be mounted on a pole be useful? Kite retrieval?
I've used pole saws to prune mangoes back when I had a mango farm. I guess after a lifetime of knife use, there are still a couple cutting tasks you haven't come across Paul. :)

Something like this.

Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't know if the Spydie-edge has enough bite to really do much to wood. I mean, great for fruit, fiber, etc though.

I think the problem lies with moving quantities of dense material. Everything that makes the Spyderco serrations good for cutting makes them not very efficient at sawing wood. Make the teeth deep squares or triangles and the story changes but they snag on everything else.

What we really should be bothering Spyderco for is a sprint of the Spydersaw. ;)
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Blerv wrote:I don't know if the Spydie-edge has enough bite to really do much to wood. I mean, great for fruit, fiber, etc though.

I think the problem lies with moving quantities of dense material. Everything that makes the Spyderco serrations good for cutting makes them not very efficient at sawing wood. Make the teeth deep squares or triangles and the story changes but they snag on everything else.

What we really should be bothering Spyderco for is a sprint of the Spydersaw. ;)
I'm sure you're right blerv but what I was kinda getting at is a pole gives increased reach for whatever you need to cut. Probably kite strings too. :D
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'm sure you're right blerv but what I was kinda getting at is a pole gives increased reach for whatever you need to cut. Probably kite strings too. :D
I gotcha :) . I'm sure the teeth work great for light to medium vegetation too. They do make great pruning knives so 10 feet up it should be the same!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I've used pole saws to prune mangoes back when I had a mango farm. I guess after a lifetime of knife use, there are still a couple cutting tasks you haven't come across Paul. :)

Something like this.

While I'm sure you're right Chuck, use of a pole saw isn't one of them. So for me it's just one more case of preferring the right tool for the job. I used a pole saw years ago to trim branches of of maple tree that were getting too close to the roof of my house, and an oak that was doing the same to my garage roof a few years later. However, IIRC, the pole saw had regular saw teeth, with a set. Tried cutting through a fairly thin branch with a Spyderedge serrations a couple years back, just to see how it would work and didn't think it worked any better than a wood saw would work on rope. Which is to say, pretty poorly. No sure how mango compares to those in terms of hardness, so maybe Spyderedge would work ok with it, but I really doubt it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Yep, I knew you were going to zero in on the difference between a saw and a serrated knife. My point is however, the additional reach of a pole to cut whatever you are cutting whether it be a saw, a serrated knife, or a scythe. :D

OTOH, I should have known you would have experience with a pole saw. :)