Here's a thought...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

i can see pros and cons for this. I can see people who are mechanically inclinded doing a fine job. i also just had to go to a friends house, Jeff, who was telling me his screen door completely ripped off the wall from a wind storm. We (me) were going to have to replace all the wood in the jamb, pretty much rebuild the whole door. I packed up a ton of tools and drove 45 minutes there and installed 4 long screws in about 1 minute to fix the problem. There are alot of Jeffs in the world who would completely FOUL this up and would ship all the pieces back to spyderco to put back together. In fact i receiveda knife just like that, an endura 4 from someone on one of the boards who couldn't put their knife back together. I think this would end up being a nightmare for customer service. Just my opinion.
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

tonydahose wrote:i can see pros and cons for this. I can see people who are mechanically inclinded doing a fine job. i also just had to go to a friends house, Jeff, who was telling me his screen door completely ripped off the wall from a wind storm. We (me) were going to have to replace all the wood in the jamb, pretty much rebuild the whole door. I packed up a ton of tools and drove 45 minutes there and installed 4 long screws in about 1 minute to fix the problem. There are alot of Jeffs in the world who would completely FOUL this up and would ship all the pieces back to spyderco to put back together. In fact i receiveda knife just like that, an endura 4 from someone on one of the boards who couldn't put their knife back together. I think this would end up being a nightmare for customer service. Just my opinion.
I agree with Tony. The current policy makes a lot of sense just the way it is. If I disassemble a knife I am okay with voiding the warranty, particularly if it protects my favorite knife company from frivolous warranty claims.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

I like this idea. A new model, something simple, I would say liner lock or frame lock (though a liner lock probably has a wider appeal) made for the user to take apart.

The Sebenza is made to be taken apart and it does very well.

I think that the warranty thing is easy enough to remedy, just have the modified warranty printed on the back of the box.
On the hunt for...
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'd love the idea. I'm afaid that Spyderco is holding off on this idea because of the 'Jeffs' in the world. Then again, I'd love to pose the challenge to the Spyderco design team to come up with a foolproof design, that's intended to be broken down and reassembled again. If Glock can do it, so can Spyderco right?
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I enjoy the thought :) but also appreciate previously mentioned sticking points.

If "I" need to I have no qualms about dissasembling a knife. They are pretty simple mechanisms. The tricky part for folks without some mechanical and tool experience would be dealing with a preloaded spring. With a spring order of operations becomes important and an individual can make it easy or hard depending on their method.

See what you did Paul :eek: your thought has got me thinking ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I would love to see something like this if Spyderco would have out with various customizable parts to add to it. For example, various scales like CF or G-10, different blades like a recurve or skinner (and different steels as well), clips that would allow normal or deep pocket carry and maybe even different liners. They could also make it in three or four sizes like their Chinese made line. I have always felt with most knives that there is always just one thing that would make it better and it would be fantastic if you could build your perfect knife with interchangeable parts.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Ive taken apart every knife I own (as long as its not pinned), spyderco or not, so it makes no difference to me. It would be great to have reassembly instructions for some of the more complicated lock types though.
cckw

Post by cckw »

As someone said a Mule folder is interesting. beyond that It doesn't too much appeal to me. I have take a couple apart but because I had to, not because I wanted to.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Mr Blonde wrote:If Glock can do it, so can Spyderco right?
There's a big difference between field strip and full disassemble, but it's not a bad point.
Holland

Post by Holland »

OldSarSwmr wrote:Maybe this could be like a "Mule" folder? Easy take down construction, same pattern released in different steels or a variety of scales available? Like the Sage series but for the tinkerer. :o
i really like this idea!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Holland

Post by Holland »

Onionman wrote:I would love to see something like this if Spyderco would have out with various customizable parts to add to it. For example, various scales like CF or G-10, different blades like a recurve or skinner (and different steels as well), clips that would allow normal or deep pocket carry and maybe even different liners. They could also make it in three or four sizes like their Chinese made line. I have always felt with most knives that there is always just one thing that would make it better and it would be fantastic if you could build your perfect knife with interchangeable parts.
this thread is making me really excited. i hope spyderco considers something like this, but im trying to not get my hopes up lol
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE