My thoughts on the "hard use" trend.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

Post by Clip »

Sonny wrote:I used it to cut open a multi-pack of beer/pop/water.
Sonny
I have never seen these three things packaged together. Pic?

And I think I've got to side with David - hope for the best, prepare for the worst. I only take issue when the knife gets too thick/big/bulky to perform the daily activities I need it to, other than that I don't mind buying something overbuilt. I do it with most of my other tools.
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
nullity

Post by nullity »

Sonny wrote:I'm becoming more reasonable, but it takes some of the fun out of it.
I find this final line of your post interesting.
I don't trust fun. Fun can't be quantified. :p
If it could, I'm sure the Southard flipper would have a high fun rating.

but seriously...
For a while, I was caught up in all the highest ranking materials, knives, angles, etc.
So many emotional arguments about what type of knife or feature is "best".
So many "my knife is best because it does this and your knife can't."
The "and your knife can't" thing is what annoys me in these conversations.
... I think I'm babbling.

Carry whatever you want for whatever reasons you want, just don't starting bashing on other people's choices.
****, I want to try CTS-XHP and ELMAX because there's an "X" in it.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

nullity wrote:I find this final line of your post interesting.
I don't trust fun. Fun can't be quantified. :p
If it could, I'm sure the Southard flipper would have a high fun rating.

but seriously...
For a while, I was caught up in all the highest ranking materials, knives, angles, etc.
So many emotional arguments about what type of knife or feature is "best".
So many "my knife is best because it does this and your knife can't."
The "and your knife can't" thing is what annoys me in these conversations.
... I think I'm babbling.

Carry whatever you want for whatever reasons you want, just don't starting bashing on other people's choices.
****, I want to try CTS-XHP and ELMAX because there's an "X" in it.
Wise words...
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:Why would you be slicing food with a strider? Kitchen knives work better for food. ;)

Kitchen knives are cheaper too. :)
The tiger stripes scare the vegetables into submission, they virtually peel themselves. The 10mm blade stock makes the spine great for crushing garlic ... be a bit creative and a Strider is a great kitchen knife ;)
tikkidaddy
Location: marietta sc...but im not sure if its on earth though!!

Post by tikkidaddy »

Spyderco should make 1 "big", 7-9 in "haaarrrd use" jungle shelter, woods capable DuraCoated Dark jungle canopy green w/red g10 handles knife and call it the TARANTULA--leave it on the market so everyone who wants one will--hush--me included.

Make it astonishingly Spyderco.

Nowadays, I really like the Salts as a version of "indestructable" for Spyderlings on the other end
"I hate the thought of killing anything, its the last thing I would advise, but as a matter of survival, all creatures are fair game."-- Les Stroud.

I wonder if spyders feel that way too??--mark.
tikkidaddy
Location: marietta sc...but im not sure if its on earth though!!

Post by tikkidaddy »

PSquared wrote:The tiger stripes scare the vegetables into submission, they virtually peel themselves. The 10mm blade stock makes the spine great for crushing garlic ... be a bit creative and a Strider is a great kitchen knife ;)
Dude---hilarious! Get a 3X3 block of solid marble if you want garlick to submit...10mm is for Glocks...Tigerstrypes are for well, tigers!!
"I hate the thought of killing anything, its the last thing I would advise, but as a matter of survival, all creatures are fair game."-- Les Stroud.

I wonder if spyders feel that way too??--mark.