Need a good thread to check this weekend. Favorite attribute of today's knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vaisforlovers

Need a good thread to check this weekend. Favorite attribute of today's knife

Post by vaisforlovers »

It’s been a long hot weekend, a lot of which spent indoors, and I am hoping to start a thread to keep everyone (read me) occupied and coming back. So what is the favorite thing about the Spyderco knife you last carried? I don’t want to know what your favorite Spydie is, I want to know what the favorite thing about the Spydie in your pocket is? Let’s face it, we’re all knife nuts, this isn’t that absurd of a question.

What is the most admired quality about the knife you carried today?

To begin. I carried a Salt I today. My favorite thing about it is that it doesn’t rust, tarnish, etc. I can carry it when I’m sweaty or at the beach and not worry about oxidation.

(for what its worth, my wife proof read this for me to ensure it was grammatically correct and she approves of the grammar, not the message. She’s not quite supportive of my knife hobby, but understands I need my own hobbies)
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

I like the idea of the thread :)

I have my digicam smallfly in my pocket right now and i love being able to flip the knife around when i get bored. Its more fun than just opening and closing any of my other spydies (not saying that i dont get entertainment from that). I love just pulling it out and admiring how cool it looks too. Oo and playing with the spring loaded lock lol
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
jwh

Post by jwh »

I carried my Manix 2 last Sunday thru Tuesday. Since then my new BM Forum knife arrived and I had to try it out. Back to the Spyderco Manix 2 now and why I like it. Besides being a fine cutting instrument this particular knife was given to me by my son and has great sentimental value. It was in recognition of my 1 year anniversary in remission from Leukemia. It is engraved on one side with "POPS" and the flip side has "Survivor" on the top line. When you open the blade it also says "Hero". Yeah, every time I carry it I get teary-eyed. Feel free to correct any spelling or grammar errors. This should be a fun thread.
Thanks,
jwh :spyder:

[CENTER]Manix 2 / Native Lightweight FRN / ParaMilitary 2 / Endura 4 FRN / Delica 4 FRN
UK Penknife FRN / Native 5 / Leafstorm / Urban Wharncliffe
/ Stretch FRN / ManBug G10
[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Delica 4 FRN / Dragonfly 2 H1 FRN / Yojimbo 2 / Ladybug 3 H1 FRN / Military [/CENTER]
scrub

Post by scrub »

I have a first generation Endura in my pocket. I love that it is (for me) a massive knife but somehow fits so well in any pocket and feels so nice in the hand.

This is my first post on this forum after lurking for a while!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Scrub, welcome to the forum.

I have carried the Sage4 since I got it. My favorite feature is how it feels in my hand when I use it. No matter what I have cut it always feels solid and strong as I use it. I'd have to say it feels like a fixed blade. No, I haven't been as rough on it as I might have been if it was a fixed blade. I'd say that is the most important thing in any knife for me. A knife should not hurt your hand when you use it. The more comfortable it is the better.

Jack
Spider bite

Post by Spider bite »

My ZDP Dragonfly......Oh how sharp it is. :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."-George Smith Patton, Jr
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

PARATOM wrote:I like the idea of the thread :)

I have my digicam smallfly in my pocket right now and i love being able to flip the knife around when i get bored. Its more fun than just opening and closing any of my other spydies (not saying that i dont get entertainment from that). I love just pulling it out and admiring how cool it looks too. Oo and playing with the spring loaded lock lol
I'm already enjoying this. I didn't know what a Smallfly was until now. I understand your enjoyment of opening and closing a knife and have never had the experience of handling a Smallfly. Hopefully one day...
scrub wrote:I have a first generation Endura in my pocket. I love that it is (for me) a massive knife but somehow fits so well in any pocket and feels so nice in the hand.

This is my first post on this forum after lurking for a while!
Scrub, Welcome to the forum. Glad you are here. I have 22 Spyderco knives, but not an Endura. On paper, it appears a little long, (as you say: "massive"), but everything I've heard echo's what you've said. It's a big knife that fits just right. Thank you for your input and I look forward to more.
"The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stewart Mill
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey guys,
The knife I carried today has a stout frame lock, with no play.
The handle fits my hand perfectly, and the blade opens smooth and easy.
The translucent g10 is just grippy enough and looks cool as all get out.
And sharp is an understatement.
Guess what I have in my right front pocket.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

jackknifeh wrote:My favorite feature is how it feels in my hand when I use it. No matter what I have cut it always feels solid and strong as I use it.
+1! Exactly how I felt using my CF Stretch today. And oh so sharp! Just one great little knife.

Ken
玉鋼
vaisforlovers

Post by vaisforlovers »

sharpguitarist wrote:Hey guys,
The knife I carried today has a stout frame lock, with no play.
The handle fits my hand perfectly, and the blade opens smooth and easy.
The translucent g10 is just grippy enough and looks cool as all get out.
And sharp is an understatement.
Guess what I have in my right front pocket.
Later,
Don
Don,
My guess is you carried a Leaf Storm today. I agree, the G10 looks good on it.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I've been carrying my Para2 20CP sprint almost non-stop for a couple of months now. For me, it is the balance between serious cutting performance and light weight. It hits that sweet spot very few knives hit.

TedP
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I carry a Tasman everyday. I love the fact I can abuse it all day let it sit and it's still perfect when I use it again
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Welcome, Scrub!

The Delica 4FFG fits my hand perfectly, looks great, and cuts great. It's ZDP right now, and I love the nice color of the metal when it gets used a bit. It also holds an edge - sorry, that's more than one thing, but Delicas rule! :)

- best wishes, Jazz.
Studey

Post by Studey »

I love how easy to use my serrated Pacific Salt is. The 14mm hole is easy to open, the handle is big enough to be easy to hold onto, and those serrations just plow through everything. Add to that its light weight, rustproofness, and security in my pocket, and you have a EDC that is dependable and requires zero maintenance.
Significent

Post by Significent »

I like the full flat grind on many of my spydies. The FFG makes slicing a pleasure, and with today's steels, the knives are still strong enough to handle hard work. I enjoy the FFG attribute most on my two military models (XHP and M390). They've become my favorite EDCs.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Been carrying this reground 20CP Para 2 for a month straight at work, it really slices the cardboard better than a razor knife and 20CP really holds an edge for a VERY long time.

Spydie-50

Post by Spydie-50 »

I carry a para2 s30v for work edc. The other day I was cutting mule tape a type of nylon rope and I could take my knife out, open it, cut, and close it in a smooth one handed motion. As I watched my coworker do this with his edc knife he had to use two hands to open his knife, take a few sawing passes to cut, then use both hands to close his knife.
So I appreciate how smooth/effortless it is to manipulate my spyderco.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

With Spyderco we all know the ergos are pretty much there. What I appreciate today and everyday is the sharpness of the edges :D VG-10, S30V, ZDP, CPM M4 all take and keep an absolutely delightful edge :D :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Carrying my bolstered cocobolo Stretch this weekend. Favorite attribute is that it's a single package which blends a gift from someone I deeply admire and respect, a drop-dead gorgeous appearance, and the superb ergonomics and excellent slicing ability common to all versions of the Stretch.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Prospero

Post by Prospero »

I carried my Delica 4 to work last night. I really appreciate the ergos on this knife: opening the knife is almost instinctual, no fumbling around to get the correct purchase on a thumb stud. My hand just feels "locked in" to the grip when I'm cutting. Great design.