Importance of grammar, spelling, consideration, and coherence in forum posts??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

mikerestivo wrote:This is my post from one of the other threads:

The "wall of text" thing really honks me off. I typically don't bother reading those posts (with no capitalization, puncutation or a reasonable attempt at proper spelling). If someone wants readers to respond to his ideas and questions, make the post reader-friendly.

Most of what I am seeing appears to be coming from folks posting from cel phones, and I would guess that they are just too lazy to make sentences look like sentences.

I'm not referring to isolated typos; I'm talking about this kind of thing:

some of the msrp rates on there knives like the ed Shemp balance barely and inch long shut and is roughly around 200 or better and other like it be honest

Any forum is about communicating ideas. If you can't be effective at expressing yourself to others, you are not going to get much out of it.
True and just as important as the application of upper and lower case letters:

"puncutation" is punctuation

"cel" is short for celluloid, did you mean to type cellphone?
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
jwh

Post by jwh »

This poor old horse has been beaten in every forum of every type I have ever posted in. Continue on but keep in mind it's a dead end street.
Thanks,
jwh :spyder:

[CENTER]Manix 2 / Native Lightweight FRN / ParaMilitary 2 / Endura 4 FRN / Delica 4 FRN
UK Penknife FRN / Native 5 / Leafstorm / Urban Wharncliffe
/ Stretch FRN / ManBug G10
[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Delica 4 FRN / Dragonfly 2 H1 FRN / Yojimbo 2 / Ladybug 3 H1 FRN / Military [/CENTER]
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

jwh wrote:This poor old horse has been beaten in every forum of every type I have ever posted in. Continue on but keep in mind it's a dead end street.
I love this thread. It doesn't bother me at all that this dead horse has been beaten with a dead horse. No one is safe here. :) . So complaining about grammar and spelling is like shooting yourself in the face. (and that's not a shot at the OP, just others making judgements here.) Judge not lest ye be judged...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Hehehe
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jwh wrote:This poor old horse has been beaten in every forum of every type I have ever posted in. Continue on but keep in mind it's a dead end street.
I agree, but that's not a problem for me. I know 99% of the things that frost my pumpkin are beyond my power to change. That, however, does not mean I have no opinion on them and, unlike some subjects which are rightfully taboo here, this is one I have no qualms about stating my opinion. Occasional and reasonably civil venting, even if it accomplishes nothing, can be soul-satisfying. Kind of like voting for a candidate one fervently supports but at the same time know has no more chance of winning than one would have himself.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

jtoler_9 wrote:I love this thread. It doesn't bother me at all that this dead horse has been beaten with a dead horse. No one is safe here. :) . So complaining about grammar and spelling is like shooting yourself in the face. (and that's not a shot at the OP, just others making judgements here.) Judge not lest ye be judged...
I just had to add :) Was I complaining?? I thought I made a point in the originating thread that I wasn't I only asked for feedback and opinions ;) I always appreciate your feedback Jtoler :)

I am only trying to see how threads are worded affect their feedback :) , I'm not wielding a judgemental axe ;) I am one of the least "perfect" among us

I do consider these toughts to be a good topic of discussion :) dead horse or not. Looking for some underlying truths and hope some of the brilliant folks here can help with their insights :) I genuinely appreciate the depth of knowledge found here :)

I've switched off to the Balance now, tough little knife :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

The Deacon wrote:I agree, but that's not a problem for me. I know 99% of the things that frost my pumpkin are beyond my power to change. That, however, does not mean I have no opinion on them and, unlike some subjects which are rightfully taboo here, this is one I have no qualms about stating my opinion. Occasional and reasonably civil venting, even if it accomplishes nothing, can be soul-satisfying. Kind of like voting for a candidate one fervently supports but at the same time know has no more chance of winning than one would have himself.
Thank you Paul, I see your point clearly and understand. I'll stop harping on it. :) The vent did feel good though ;)

I see Chuck over in the Phillipines chuckling as well he should :) I hope you enjoyed Chuck :)

We all have to take responsibility for how we post here. The quality and coherence of the post should be in most cases proportional to the quality of replies you recieve.

Thanks for all of the responses :) I believe I've found the answer I was looking for :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

dbcad wrote:I just had to add :) Was I complaining?? I thought I made a point in the originating thread that I wasn't I only asked for feedback and opinions ;) I always appreciate your feedback Jtoler :)
No, he was taking a shot at me, where in an attempt to avoid the contraction "can't" I made the following mistake:

After feeling like a jackass, I went to research my mistake and found out that either use is acceptable, but the single word is more common.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
jwh

Post by jwh »

dbcad wrote: I do consider these toughts to be a good topic of discussion :) dead horse or not. :D
toughts=thoughts ?

I am over 50, hard headed, opinionated, impatient and I have beaten more than my share of dead horses. It does make for an interesting read. Carry on folks.
Thanks,
jwh :spyder:

[CENTER]Manix 2 / Native Lightweight FRN / ParaMilitary 2 / Endura 4 FRN / Delica 4 FRN
UK Penknife FRN / Native 5 / Leafstorm / Urban Wharncliffe
/ Stretch FRN / ManBug G10
[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Delica 4 FRN / Dragonfly 2 H1 FRN / Yojimbo 2 / Ladybug 3 H1 FRN / Military [/CENTER]
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

mikerestivo wrote: I'm not referring to isolated typos; I'm talking about this kind of thing:

some of the msrp rates on there knives like the ed Shemp balance barely and inch long shut and is roughly around 200 or better and other like it be honest
I agree 100%. The above is a perfect example of what I mean as well. It is not even a sentence. Where does someone learn (or not learn) to do this? To me it seems that someone that posts like this would not have a good education. That may be fine as well, but I am betting that they do have an education and that they are just lazy and do not want to take the time to make it right.

This is not even a problem with a language barrier. Some of the folks from other countries speak and type better English than some people currently in the USA.

I can deal with people misspelling words and not knowing how to use certain gramatical items (like a semi-colon). I however cannot deal with the "all lower case shortened" kind of speak that looks like someone is texting all the time.

Example: srsly bro? i hv no idea Y U R havin so mny probs with that knife.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
RIOT

Post by RIOT »

i kind of just dont care what others think of me. if spelling or grammar pisses you off......

relax, its the internet and nobody on here is writing & signing my pay checks.
BladePlay

Post by BladePlay »

thank-you
Attachments
11878453-red-bull-coupons.jpg
nerd-13819.jpg

[align=]“There never was a good knife made of bad steel”[/align]
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

RIOT wrote:i kind of just dont care what others think of me. if spelling or grammar pisses you off......

relax, its the internet and nobody on here is writing & signing my pay checks.
The problem is, if you truly feel like this you limit yourself to what kind of replies you will get. I will not reply to someone who cannot even make a simple sentence or use punctuation.

Also, "paycheck" is one word. ;)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Ed Schempp

Post by Ed Schempp »

My goal is to understand what the poster is talking about. I'm seldom without errors in my posts, I do try and correct and obey the rules of grammer because I don't post often and like to be understood when I take the time to express my thoughts. I appreciate a good clear read. I appreciate the use of the rules of grammer, it helps build common ground and understanding. I don't see the lack of attention to grammer as positive, and not always negative. I have deep respect for the multilingual and appreciate the effort to share information....Take Care...Ed
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

dbcad wrote:I just had to add :) Was I complaining?
I promise you Sir, at no point in my post, did I intend to take a shot at you. I was trying to convey that by stating in my post that I was not taking a shot at the OP (Original Post) ie. you.

I don't have a problem discussing this topic at all. I enjoy a good and sometimes heated debate. Maybe more than I should. I do take issue with silly lables and name calling like; paraphrasing here, "people with spelling errors are lazy and uneducated.". Even if that's true, and I don't subscribe to that belief, why point fingers? Does it make someone sitting behind a monitor feel better or superior in some way. If I carefully craft every line like a master wordsmith, am I less lazy and more educated than most posters in this thread?

I prefer the ever classy Mr. Schempp's post with the "I like" statements rather than the "I hate" statements. But this is Internet land and everyone with a keyboard has a voice.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

We are all at different capacities.

I think in the forum world abuse of paragraphs is ideal. Perhaps it isn't the best writing format but seems to read better on screen than long blocks of well constructed text.

The infamous text wall of death is pretty bad though. I just hope those people are copy/pasting from Notepad.
Sht

Post by Sht »

Grammar? We don't need no stinking grammar!
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
v8r

Post by v8r »

Sht wrote:Grammar? We don't need no stinking grammar!
We don't need no education.
V8R

Opinions are like belly buttons most people have one:p
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

Sht wrote:Grammar? We don't need no stinking grammar!
v8r wrote:We don't need no education.
We dont need no thought control
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.