so hey guys what are you thoughts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
stephenhines88

so hey guys what are you thoughts

Post by stephenhines88 »

on the spyderco paramilitary 2 and who would lovw them to make it in a Japanese super blue blade steel version :cool:
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Tried Vim Cru. Don't really think a lot about it for knife purposes. I do like high speed steels like CPM M4, M2, etc. Super high speed steels like Vim Cru (M62) aren't practical in my opinion though because the carbide fraction is too high. I love tool steels and take care of my blades but I saw how badly the steel rusted from one small fingerprint section left overnight by the guy who shipped it. It needed new bead blasting just from that.

So, I like very high performing knife steels. In my experience when the carbide fraction gets too high it loses some of the traits I personally enjoy and prefer in my knives.

Other opinions are around without doubt and I'm only expressing my preferences, not trying to claim facts or sway others.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

something makes me think the original post mentioned something different to Superblue :p .

For me, personally I dont see SB being the right choice for a harder use folder, it WONT stand up to hard use, its more of a medium duty cutting ONLY steel. It also wont happen cause the steel is only used in japan and the spyderco paramilitary 2 isnt produced ;) .

I still want a SB stretch HINT HINT
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

something makes me think the original post mentioned something different to Superblue .
Yep. He was talking about Vim Cru /M62. http://www.crucible.com/PDFs%5CDataShee ... 202010.pdf

He hasn't quite figured out how to do the forum thing yet.

StephenHeins, when you post one like this don't go back and edit it out. There's nothing to be ashamed of in asking questions like that. We are all just learning here and all ask questions like that. Don't take offense when someone else has another opinion. Just learn and move on like we do. Or disagree and state why.

Just go to the next post in the same thread and ask your next question so people who read the thread can also follow along and either add their experiences, or learn from them. Those re-edits confuse people.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

stephenhines88 wrote:on the spyderco paramilitary 2 and who would lovw them to make it in a Japanese super blue blade steel version :cool:
Not me. The Millie and the Para are US platforms through and through. I would prefer that they stay that way.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

For me, personally I dont see SB being the right choice for a harder use folder, it WONT stand up to hard use, its more of a medium duty cutting ONLY steel. It also wont happen cause the steel is only used in japan and the spyderco paramilitary 2 isnt produced .
Thanks Razor.

For Stephenhines88, most likely the reason razor would be calling it a medium duty type steel is probably because as a general rule, when the carbon levels go up high, and or the carbide fractions get high the result is usually a weakening of the steel compared to lower carbon, lower alloy type steels. Most of the old battleship and cruiser class A and B armors are pretty low carbon, for instance. Super Blue has pretty high carbon levels for an ingot steel. Another thing to be aware of is when the edge is steel just stuffed full of these larger carbides, the edge stability and sharpness levels go down. There are of course some tricks in metallurgy but for the most part this is the way the steel reacts. Powder steels help out in this respect to an extent but can only do so much.

There are websites and pages of information waiting for you to read out there. Good hunting.

Joe

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Never happen in a Para but a SB Stretch would be nice.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

razorsharp wrote:I still want a SB stretch HINT HINT
You and me, brother! Sal's post made it seem unlikely, at least for the next few years. But you never know. He might pull a SB rabbit out of his hat. ;) let's hope so.
The Mastiff wrote:Those re-edits confuse people.
And some of us are plenty confused already :)

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Given that there are so many excellent American steels to choose from, and that turnabout is always fair play, I think Golden should follow the Japanese philosophy and stick to using American steels in knives made here.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bradley

Post by Bradley »

I would like to see more sb, the stretch would be a nice platform as well.
There is much to be learned from one who never speaks
Donut

Post by Donut »

Endura would be very sweet.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:Given that there are so many excellent American steels to choose from, and that turnabout is always fair play, I think Golden should follow the Japanese philosophy and stick to using American steels in knives made here.
I'm with the sentiment, Paul, but I'd hate to loose the great knives coming out of Taichung that use American steels. Those are some of my favorite designs right now and the quality is top notch.

You kind of have self imposed "resiprosity" as Japanese makers won't use US steels and Japanese foundries won't export Japanese steels... (for the most part)

Ken
玉鋼
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

kbuzbee wrote:You and me, brother! Sal's post made it seem unlikely, at least for the next few years. But you never know. He might pull a SB rabbit out of his hat. ;) let's hope so.
Ken
That is one rabbit that I would like to be surprised by!
On the hunt for...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Seems to me each foundry has a steel competitive to another. You can get a salad or a burger at almost any diner but it won't look the exact same. The exception perhaps being H1 as it seems in a different performance bracket to the USDM steels.

Personally, I like seeing the American knives use American steels and the Japanese ones using their own. It's not like the opinion counts for much anyways as it's not economically brilliant to import Japanese steel for local knives nor ethically feasible (from their perspective) for the Japanese to import other materials for theirs.

This approach gives distinctly unique products. Plus, competition is a great thing for the customer regardless of our impatient tendencies ;) .
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kbuzbee wrote:I'm with the sentiment, Paul, but I'd hate to loose the great knives coming out of Taichung that use American steels. Those are some of my favorite designs right now and the quality is top notch.

You kind of have self imposed "resiprosity" as Japanese makers won't use US steels and Japanese foundries won't export Japanese steels... (for the most part)

Ken
Taichung's a different story Ken. They seem to have no problem using American steels, and I certainly have no problem with Taichung using them, although there's also one Swedish steel I'd love to seen in a Sage IV or Chaparral. ;)
Paul
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote: although there's also one Swedish steel I'd love to seen in a Sage IV or Chaparral. ;)
Which steel is that?

I thought all Sages were slated for S30V? I'd love to see various steels in them but iirc Sal mentioned it was only the locks and handles that would change. We can hope, though.

Ken
玉鋼
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

kbuzbee wrote:Which steel is that?

I thought all Sages were slated for S30V? I'd love to see various steels in them but iirc Sal mentioned it was only the locks and handles that would change. We can hope, though.

Ken
The stuff I've been requesting ever since I first laid eyes on it, Odin's Eye Damasteel. :D

And yes, you are correct about Sal's plan for the Sage series. Just figure there's more chance of him changing his mind than of the folks in the Land of the Rising Sun changing theirs. But I mostly named it because it's a model from Taiwan that I like. I probably should have reversed the order, since my first choice of platforms would be the Chaparral, although I'm not sure Damasteel can supply stock thin enough for that.
Paul
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:The stuff I've been requesting ever since I first laid eyes on it, Odin's Eye Damasteel. :D
I should have guessed. ;) yes, it's a beauty!
The Deacon wrote: I probably should have reversed the order, since my first choice of platforms would be the Chaparral, although I'm not sure Damasteel can supply stock thin enough for that.
Surely they can work that out. We'll see.

Ken
玉鋼