My First Post Here - Manix 2 Lightweight Review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Uke

My First Post Here - Manix 2 Lightweight Review

Post by Uke »

Hello all,

First time poster here! I got bitten by the Spydie bug about two years ago and have been posting regularly on the 'British Blades' forum since then. My Spydercos however far outnumber any of my other sharp things so I thought I might as well jump in the water here too and contribute instead of just lurking for another 2 years!

I hope this is the right section to post this in anyway. I just thought I'd share a review of my latest Spydie, which I posted on the BB forum yesterday. I'm sure you're already familiar with this incarnation of the Manix 2 but its pretty new to us over in the UK.

I've been waiting for these to become available this side of the pond for a while now. Well, I couldn't help pick one up and it hasn't left my side since the weekend, so here's what I'm thinking so far (this is quite a long one with lots of pics so please bear with me! )...

...The first thing that I noticed was that the handle appears far darker in person and almost matt (i.e. not as translucent as I'd expected) in some lights. The idea of the 'toy-like' appearance never bothered me anyway as I'd planned on hammering this knife a bit so looks weren't important, however I've been very pleasantly surprised and think the Manix 2 lightweight is actually pretty darn attractive.

Here are the stats from Spyderco:

length overall: 8 " (203 mm)
length closed: 4.67 " (119 mm)
blade thickness: .118 " (3 mm)
blade length: 3.39 " (86 mm)
blade steel: CTS BD1
cutting edge: 2.87 " (73 mm)
handle material: FRCP
weight: 2.85 oz. (81 g)

This certainly lives up to its name as 'lightweight', a full 62g / 2.15oz lighter than the original G10 fully lined production version! This knife is incredibly light for its size.

My scales read the lightweight at 82.82g:

My G10 Manix 2 (even with the milled liners of the sprint runs) weighs in well over my scales' 100g capacity (approx 120g):

In fact the Lightweight is closer to the weight of a UKPK at 67.83g than a G10 Manix 2:

Now I turned my nose up at the FRN UKPK lightweight for quite some time (I am a bit of a G10 snob!) but was very pleasantly surprised. There were some compromises, such as the lack of a full backspring resulting in weaker tension, a hollow grind in CTS-BD1 as opposed to a full flat grind in S30V. I presumed the differences between the Manix 2 and its lightweight version would be comparably to the UKPKs, however I am actually finding that there seem to be less compromises in the case of the Manix.

The weight difference of approx 15g between the UKPKs always seemed pretty negligiable to me and it was reasonably clear that its real purpose was to be a 'cheaper' alternative to the G10 UKPK. Nothing wrong with this and the UKPK lightweight has found its place in my rotation. However with the Manix 2 platform, the weight difference of 62g between the lightweight and the original production model is considerable. This 'lightweight' is still at its core what a Manix is renowned for; toughness and robusticity, and this feels like a Manix 2 purely designed to be 'lighter', not 'cheaper'...albeit with the exception of the blade steel.

Manix 2 and Manix 2 lightweight, open and closed:

The most noticeable difference is obviously the handles. The lightweight's 'fiberglass reinforced co-polymer' scales feel very strong, with a slight flex in the centre of the handle when pinched deliberately and tightly between the fingers. The Spyderco bi-directional texturing is flawless and makes the jimped and grippy design of the Manix 2 even grippier.

Due to the lack of liners the Manix 2's trademark jimping has been recreated on the co-polymer scales...

...this works pretty well, not quite as aggressive as the original jimping but still very functional.

(continued below...)
Last edited by Uke on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uke

Post by Uke »

There is a steel section running from the pivot of the knife to contain the locking mechanism as on the original Manix 2, however the lightweight version has a sealed back running the full length of the handle, utilising a co-polymer back spacer (similar to the construction of the Sage 3, giving the illusion of one solid handle). This back spacer seems to give more strength to the scales to go some way to make up for the lack of liners...

...as you can see, the dimensions of these knives are almost identical. The lightweight has a wire pocket clip as opposed to the original solid hourglass clip. On a knife of this size I prefer the look and feel of the original solid clip, however I presume that this again contributes to the weight difference. Despite the inverted attachment of this wire clip making it appear longer than that of a UKPK, the portion that sits outside the scale is actually the exact same size. It sits in the pocket at the same depth of the original Manix 2 and feels nice and secure. I have to say though that the original clip feels stronger to me...but then so does the orignial G10 handle with full steel liners, I guess these would be the compromises for the lighter weight! The lightweight is also pinned construction as opposed to screw-together. This means you won't be able to take it apart (although this would void your warranty anyway ;) ). This also means that you cannot adjust the pivot, however I have a few Spydies now with the new bushing pivot system which means you cannot change the pivot tension anyway, despite having a screw together construction, so I don't really see this as a problem (although screw together construction does feel preferable, at least giving the option for warranty voiding mods and maintenance).

Here are some comparison shots in the hand:

I can honestly say that in the hand the lightweight feels just like a standard Manix 2...except lighter! :D Yes the handle doesn't feel quite as 'luxurious' as the G10 but it handles the same, it's a bit grippier on the sides, doesn't feel too blade heavy, and the lock up is as rock solid as ever. The caged ball bearing lock feels identical to the lock on the G10 models. This still feels like the robust Manix 2 that I know and love, albeit just not quite as tank-like. The handle still feels tough and up to the job, you just don't get the same feel that those nice thick G10 slabs and steel liners give you, but then this was always going to be the case.

Fit and finish is excellent and other than a couple of small mould marks at the ends of the co-polymer scales the knife is flawless. Lock up is perfect with zero play in any direction, blade centring spot on, bevel grinds top notch and here I really have to mention the price...I picked this up for £72.49 and for what I've received I have to say this is the best value Spydie I feel I have ever purchased.

Full flat ground and Golden made:

For a Golden made Spyderco this feels like ludicrously good value, especially when you consider just how much knife you're getting. For me the only thing stopping this knife from being really special is the blade steel. Don't get me wrong, I like CTS-BD1 and have been very pleased with its performance on my UKPK lightweight, I just feel that the BD1 may be what gives this knife the 'budgety' feel...

...in my experience CTS-BD1 keeps a good working edge for a long time. The real difference that I noticed between the BD1 of my UKPK lightweight and the S30V of the other models was that the BD1 lost its 'razor edge' rather quickly. Very easy to sharpen though. For me however the Manix 2 lightweight makes up for this steel choice in a way that the UKPK lightweight never did; by being fully flat ground just like the sprint runs :D

I know hollow grinds have their uses, but I love the FFG on the Manix 2 sprints and the hollow grind is what soured the original Manix 2 production models for me. I just find that the FFG lets me use the entire depth of the blade more effectively, which I find especially useful on a leaf shaped blade of this size.

(continued below...)
Last edited by Uke on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Uke

Post by Uke »

Now if I could only choose one or the other, I'd take a full flat ground G10 Manix 2 sprint run over the lightweight any day of the week. However in the wonderful real-world where we are free to have both, I do find my G10 Manix 2 just a bit too heavy/cumbersome for pocket carry when I'm wearing a light pair of shorts. Therefore, for me the Manix 2 Lightweight fills a niche perfectly. I've had this in my shorts since the start of the weekend (the weather has been really muggy here...too muggy for long trousers!) and have used it from the garden to the kitchen...

After four days of reasonable use the BD1 is still slicing paper although not with the resistance free glide of a real razor edge. If you look closely you can see the rough, frayed edges of the paper strips here (the CPM-M4 of my tan Manix 2 still cruises through paper with ease after this level of use):

All in all I think that this is a fantastic knife and great value for money. It really doesn't feel like a 'cheapo-pattern' blade but a legitimate lightweight choice. I would love to see this model available in a more 'up-market' blade steel and in some other non-translucent colours such as orange, green, tan etc. I'd certainly buy another one...or two...or three! Here is one last beauty shot...

Cheers for now,

Uke.
Last edited by Uke on Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Uke :) Enjoy the forum.....I already have my eye on this lightweight Manix :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Johann

Post by Johann »

Really cool review, man. I love the pictures.
acer

Post by acer »

Well done, great review. I have to admit, I have also had my eye on this model, after reading your in depth review, you have twisted my arm into yet another spyderco phurchase.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Welcome to the forum, I enjoyed your review. I didn't see it, but the wire clip opens the option of swapping the clip for deep carry.

I would love to see a slightly higher end steel in the model or a lined FRN/XHP sprint. :)

For the first 20 or so pictures, I thought your sprint was an XHP one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Nice review and welcome to the forums :) !

As with Donut I would love to see some snobby runs as well. It seems a light and comfortable package with price to match.
GMAN

Post by GMAN »

Awesome review bro welcome to the forum keep the reviews coming.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum(s) UKE. Enjoy your new fine knife and thanks for the great pics and for the review.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

That was a really cool review, with great comparisons, pics and real world use. Thanks for sharing!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 3-11-2024 Instagram
mcjhrobinson

Post by mcjhrobinson »

welcome to the forum! great knife and a great review....i have the big bro to the manix line great knife.
every man is a variation of yourself. :spyder:
maa14

Post by maa14 »

Nice review and welcome to the forums!
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
Uke

Post by Uke »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I'm glad the review has gone down well :)
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Great review and photos, well done.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Great review and welcome Uke.

Just curious, did your Dad ever say Uke I am your father.
Although the real line is No, I am your father. One of those
famous misquotes. (Sorry, I have a tendency to go way
off-Tangent)
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

very impressive review. Thanks.
Sonny
SDR

Post by SDR »

Cheers, mate! And, thank you -- great write up and excellent photographs! Very much appreciated!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Digicam DLC Paramilitary 2 ~ S30V * Titanium Military ~ S30V * Digicam DLC Military ~ S30V * Brown Paramilitary 2 CPM-S35VN * Orange Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-XHP * Green Paramilitary 2 ~ CTS-204P * Black Native ~ CPM-S30V *Sharpmaker w/Diamond Rods & Ultra-Fine Stones
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Great review and love those comparisons/photos. Thank you for the post.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Agreed. Great photos.