C158TIP Techno - a review

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
N. Brian Huegel

C158TIP Techno - a review

Post by N. Brian Huegel »

The long awaited C158TIP Techno by Polish knifemaker Marcin Slysz has finally arrived - at least an initial production sample. (Thanks, Sal!) This Euro-modern design has a very industrial look with its stonewashed finish and blue G-10 elevated spacer. For a relatively small knife, it fills the hand well due to the thick Carpenter CTS-XHP blade and titanium handle frame. I am not usually an advocate of this size knife without a finger choil, but unlike the Leafstorm’s ‘blood-testing’ choil, the Techno’s ergonomics promote a positive grip and safer one-hand closure. Lockup is strong and positive, with no foreseeable need for any type of an over-extension tab on the locking arm of this robust frame. I like the overall nonconformist design with its cutouts, recesses, widely spaced thumb traction grooves that match the spacer, and the flat ground, dropped point blade that appears to rise in an optical delusion toward the point. The ambidextrous, tip up, deep carry wire clip completes the design making the Techno an easy EDC for the ELU.

[ATTACH]20481[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20483[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20482[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20480[/ATTACH]

... continued below.
Attachments
Techno2.JPG
Techno3.JPG
Techno1.JPG
Techno4.JPG
brian
http://www.countryknives.com

Being vigilant in the world of sharp one edge at a time.
N. Brian Huegel

What would I change? Two things. I would enlarge the cutout for releasing the framelock as its small diameter somewhat impedes the hole when pushing the blade directly forward for easy opening (a small learning curve in dexterity). And, I would have a four position clip, which Spyderco has not, as yet, adapted for the wire clip, as I prefer tip down carry.

[ATTACH]20487[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20486[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20485[/ATTACH][ATTACH]20484[/ATTACH]

... continued below.
Attachments
Techno5.JPG
Techno6.JPG
Techno7.JPG
Techno8.JPG
brian

N. Brian Huegel

All in all, I really like the chunky, funky, Techno-popular knife whose designer hails from my maternal homeland. Dziękuję, Marcin!

SPECIFICATIONS: Blade Length: 2.5" (63.5mm); Blade Thickness: 11/64” (4.37mm); Length Closed: 3.5" (88.9mm); Handle Thickness: 7/16” (2.78mm); Overall Length: 6" (152.4mm); Weight: 3.6 oz. (99.2g); Blade Style: Modified Drop Point; Blade Finish: Matte (Stonewash); Edge: Plain; Blade Steel: CTS-XHP; Rockwell Hardness: 60-61; Locking Mechanism: Frame Lock; Frame: Titanium; Frame Thickness: 7/64” (3mm); Fittings: Stainless Steel; Pocket Clip: Wire, R/H or L/H, Tip Up; Country of Origin: Taiwan
Attachments
Techno12.JPG
Techno9.JPG
Techno10.JPG
Techno11.JPG
brian

xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Thanks for the review and the photos Brian.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
mattman

Post by mattman »

Thanks for the review, Brian!

Hopefully this means they're close, been waiting a while on this one...
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

Nice, straight-forward review. Thanks for it.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

That wire clip is nice. wish I saw more of that on my Spydies.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Hi Brian, thanks for the review and for the pics. I love this little stout folder.
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Great review. I just love the look of this knife. Can't wait for them to finally be released.
dwong

Post by dwong »

Chubby/short Ti RIL is my favorite style, only thing I would prefer a warnie blade shape.
I used my knife to open lots box/pkgs.
I see the atoms free and fine,That bubble like a sparkling wine; I see the songs Electrons sing,Jumping from ring to outer ring;
-Lister

Post by 1623 »

Stonewashed blade or am I seeing things?

Edit to elaborate: The blade in Spydercollector's video appears to have more of a uniform bead blasted finish.

Thanks for the review.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Thanks for the review! Too small, heavy, and expensive for me ( I have seen $195 pre orders). More my speed is the titanium Chapparal. Same price range, but more blade, lighter and has that really unique titanium handle!
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

*sigh* If only they would have stuck with the prototype I would have been a very happy man....
On the hunt for...
BAL

Post by BAL »

DeathBySnooSnoo wrote:*sigh* If only they would have stuck with the prototype I would have been a very happy man....
Yep, my wallet is happy that this one isn't my Cup o' T
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Onionman wrote:Thanks for the review! Too small, heavy, and expensive for me ( I have seen $195 pre orders). More my speed is the titanium Chapparal. Same price range, but more blade, lighter and has that really unique titanium handle!
Can't wait for the ChapTi! Techno isn't my thing either, but I can see why someone would like this one with it's quirky looks and RIL. It's small but beefy.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

At first I liked the look of the Techno, but I now prefer longer blades. With a 4.37mm thick blade it seems a bit like a folding pry-bar. Not for me...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

man, thats a great looking little folder! i really want one, but its out of my price range, and id rather spend that kind of money on the Southard flipper(can't wait)
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
justinl

Post by justinl »

Yeah I agree with broccoli on this one. Too beefy in stature and price for me. A nice novelty and I can see the appeal, just not my thing. Thanks for the review!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

I was all hot to get this. Now I'm like, eh, I got other stuff to spend $200 on. Like my kids. Just got a Centofante 3 for $50 and change that's a great edc. I think I'll get an FRN handled Native, too. Don't have a Manix yet, which seems like a great knife at a fantastic price, etc., etc., etc. Lots of great blades that cost a lot less. Just sayin'.

tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Very much my cup of tea, perfect for me being an urban prisoner at the moment.

Not ideal for a lefty like myself, but can work with it as most left handers learn to do.

I had to hold myself back from dropping in on my local "dealer" (yeap, knife buying is an addiction) this week, he has a Sage 2, Bradley Alias 2 and ZT0301 all in stock, all of which I am considering as my next purchase. But, I have decided that all impulse buying is on hold till I get one of these bad boys in my hand.

Come on Spyderco, lets these little guys out........