Spyderco Ladybug saves a Mallard! :-)

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mann0mann

Spyderco Ladybug saves a Mallard! :-)

Post by mann0mann »

So I gave my wife a purple ladybug for her keychain about a year ago, she lost it through airport security. I bought her another and I'm always asking her if she ever uses it or if it comes in handy.

We'll yesterday afternoon, she took my son to a local pond so he could go fishing. She said she got there and there was a mallard hen that had fishing line wrapped around its legs and feet a thousand times over and it was caught on the edge of the pond near the shore and could not get away. She was able to pick the duck up and cut the line off it and set it free.

Sorry no pics, but she sent me this text yesterday when it happened -

"I had to use my Spyderco to cut fishing line around a mallards foot. She was so exhausted she just laid on my lap while I worked on her. Mikey was so blown away I was able to hold her and cut her free! The knife worked perfectly, I had to get into some really tight spots to cut the line and size was great! Thanks for the knife honey...."

I thought it was a cool story. :) Makes you feel good when you give someone something they end up using and comes in handy.
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

Thank you to your wife for being willing to help the poor thing, and to you for providing her the tools to do it!
My Spydies: Endura, Delica, Cricket, Tasman Salt, Salt 1, Paramilitary 2, Stretch, Manix 2, Manix 2 CTS-XHP
Studey

Post by Studey »

Cool man. I'm happy to hear she was able to help.
Mocean

Post by Mocean »

Lovely story.
wvguy8258

Post by wvguy8258 »

I think it is an interesting time to reflect upon spyderco's efforts to make a blade to be used to cut whales free from nets. Spyderco rocks from a moral standpoint. It is rare to support a company which does more good than any harm.
My Spydies: Endura, Delica, Cricket, Tasman Salt, Salt 1, Paramilitary 2, Stretch, Manix 2, Manix 2 CTS-XHP
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Awesome! My girlfriend also tells me every time she uses her jester for something, always good to hear.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I love these stories!
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi

Post by 1623 »

Warms the heart, Mike.

Too often people look right past animals in distress...cheers to your wife for showing compassion and setting a fine example for your son.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Heartmelting story, thanks for sharing.
Now you'll have to buy another Ladybug, because the older one is... err... used? ;)
The mind commands the body and it obeys. The mind orders itself and meets resistance.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

- best wishes, Jazz.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Awesome story!
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

Thanks for sharing this with us. Let your wife read this thread. It's nice to see people helping animals in need. Poor thing.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

That's a cool story! Thanks for sharing it on here.
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

I just gave a Ladybug to my wife on Sunday. Glad I did. Nice story.
Sonny
Pete1977

Post by Pete1977 »

Great story! :D

I see hundreds of gulls during the summer with hooks in their beaks or wrapped up in monofilament fishing line. For all of the bashing commercial fishermen take, it is the recreational fisherman that seems more careless on the water. If someone is fishing and they hook a gull, don't cut the line, reel the bird in and free it. Don't throw your balls of monofilament line overboard or even in a barrel on the wharf. The wind can blow it out...take it home..

Every time a hooked bird or an entangled bird lands on my boat I try to catch it and free it. I have fence cutters on my boat for cutting lobster trap wire. They make short work of a fishing hook. Nature is hard enough as it is. Even a bird as lowly as the gull deserves a fighting chance. I have one that pecks on the wheelhouse windows now when it wants a piece of fish and I don't mind sparing some bait to feed it :D

I guess mann0mann should get some credit too! He bought the knife for his wife! :D :D :D
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

Ladybug saves a duck awesome nature! On a serious note I'm glad she freed it and more glad you got her that spyderco
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

GREAT story!
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

:thumbup: It's really appauling how much fishing line and related trash I stumble upon when out fishing. :(

I usually stuff empty compartments of my backpack with left line and other litter. I always seem to find mounds of line maybe 50-100ft :confused: , I don't get it and it really gets me :mad: .

It's so disheartening to be on a lovely outing on a beautiful day only to see trash everywhere. Side note... I always seem to catch bigger/more fish on days I clean up a ton of trash; the fish god's must appreciate it :p .
wescobts

Post by wescobts »

Excellent story, good on you
learning it the hard way... :rolleyes:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had the exact same thing happen to me on a fishing trip a couple years ago. It was a standard Delica that saved the day. Unfortunately that little guy was cut up pretty bad on his legs from the line and couldn't leave the water and i don't think he made it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David