comparing ergos

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

comparing ergos

Post by casey1 »

so i have a delica and a sage 1, both of which i love. my question is this: if i find the grip of the delica comfortable, and the grip of the sage behind the choil comfortable, will i find the grip behind the choil on the native 5 comfortable as well? I like the presence of choils, but for the most part i prefer a normal grip. Can this be comfortable on the N5?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

In my experience, even relatively minor differences like handle thickness can impact comfort, so it's impossible to say for sure. That said, the grip areas of the Native and Sage handles are quite similar in size and shape. So I'd say there's a pretty good chance would say it's very likely that you will find them equally comfortable to use. Opening, however, may be another matter. At least for me, the Sage puts my thumb in a better position to make a nice smooth opening arc. But that's a fairly personal metric, so you may find otherwise.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:Opening, however, may be another matter. At least for me, the Sage puts my thumb in a better position to make a nice smooth opening arc.
That's an interesting metric, Paul, and one I think is often ignored (maybe because it's so difficult to analyze without actually using the knife for a bit?)

I just recently put a bunch of mine through this exact exercise and was surprised at just how different some of them were.

It wasn't JUST the arc, but the grip position while opening and the size of the hole, itself.*

The top four in my recent test were: GB, CF Stretch, CF Manix 2 and D'Allara DP, probably all do to the size of my hands ;)

Ken

* edit - also the exposure of the hole. I think the Lil'Temp would have done MUCH better if the hole had been more exposed....
玉鋼