Spyderco Salt Question

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
DigitalUrbanCamo

Post by DigitalUrbanCamo »

Antonio_Luiz wrote:Forgive my ignorance. This is a genuine question and I am not trying to be sarcastic.

I understand the value of a knife when diving/fishing and even canoeing, but why do you need a knife for swimming?
I am a firm believer in having a knife on you whenever possible. Even when you think you may not need one. Sure, often when I go swimming I have no use for a knife but sometimes things happen and I'd rather be prepared then have no way to fix the problem because I decided I didn't feel I NEEDED a knife on me that day.

Although this knife will be taken into the water that wont be its only role. You have to remember that when your going to the beach there is alot of other things you must do first. I select one EDC knife for such a day. I leave my house with it, ride in the car,stop at the store, perhaps fill up my tank and so on. That means if I didn't have a designated swim knife I would have to carry a different knife with me during all the events leading to me swimming. Then (because I don't like to be without my knife) I would end up going swimming leaving my knife on the beach. Perhaps getting lost or forgetting where I put it when and if I need it.

Also I have found that when I don't have a tool on my person is exactly when I need it. It seems like that is always a consent for a lot of things. You forget to bring something or you decide not to take an item with you when you normally would and latter on that day you wish you had it.

Being stuck in seaweed and stuff like that in the water is always a possibility too.

Sure, chances are while actually IN the watter I wont use if often or perhaps ever but if I do need it ill be glade I have it. :)
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

If memory serves, an FFG H1 knife is not practical to make in a factory. H1 work hardens, so by the time one side is ground, it is too hard to grind the second side.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

I need a knife in case I get wrapped up in line netting and seaweed when swimming diving. I use a yellow Tasman se
DigitalUrbanCamo

Post by DigitalUrbanCamo »

Pockets wrote:If memory serves, an FFG H1 knife is not practical to make in a factory. H1 work hardens, so by the time one side is ground, it is too hard to grind the second side.
Can you remember the source of this information? You have sparked my interest.
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

It was here somewhere on the forum. When I bought my Dragonfly Salt SE, I did a lot of research about H1 here. There's a thread somewhere that mentions FFG.
This might help: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... 8-Salt-FFG
tikkidaddy
Location: marietta sc...but im not sure if its on earth though!!

Post by tikkidaddy »

Yeah, if you ever get tangled in seaweed youll want a jumpmaster, a pacific, or something, REGULAR SWIMMING: ONLY RISK: STRINGY BIKINIS!!
"I hate the thought of killing anything, its the last thing I would advise, but as a matter of survival, all creatures are fair game."-- Les Stroud.

I wonder if spyders feel that way too??--mark.
flash900

Post by flash900 »

A Salt I is frequently my EDC of choice -- and I rarely go near the water.

Here in the Midwest, we do have summer storms, winter storms, storms the rest of the year and high humidity. At least as far as my pocket knife is concerned, I don't have to worry about the weather.

Compared to the excellent Delica, the Salt I has a slightly wider blade and handle, a larger Spydie hole, a Ti clip and no hardware that might rust.

It's one of the lightest under 3-inch folders you can carry. It comes in a nice friendly yellow for non-knife folks.

I don't need a pocket folder for anything heavy duty, but every once in a while I take a strop to it. At some point, I'll have to actually sharpen it.

Whether in or near the water, running, walking the dogs or at work in an urban setting, what's not to like? Come to think of it, I'm not too sure why I even buy other folders.
Spydies: Caly 3 & Jr.; Michael Walker; Dragonfly, 2 & G10; Delica 4, FFG, G10, & Wave; Endura G10 & Wave; Rookie; Ambitious, Persistence, Tenacious; Sage 1, 2, 3; CAT CF & G10; Chicago CF; Ladybug; Bradley; Manix 2, Blue & XL; Native 4, 5 & Forum; Balance; Rescue; Salt I & Pacific; D'Allara; Junior; PPT; SuperLeaf; Urban Safety Orange; Para 2; Matriarch 2 & Lil'; Techno; Southard; Tuffthumbz Sage 2 & Para 2 mods; Cuscadi Pingo; Domino; Slysz Bowie
tikkidaddy
Location: marietta sc...but im not sure if its on earth though!!

Post by tikkidaddy »

Blerv wrote:Yes.

Do not sit in a box of chlorine tablets. It's not recommended by the Surgeon General nor Spyderco.
Dude...thats freakin' hilarious!!

But seriously, somebody DID that? Really did that...I seen a guy soak a ladybug salt in bleach on u-tube for reportedly over 3wks i think, in a jar in his closet. The other knives in the same jar...well..didnt do so good...
"I hate the thought of killing anything, its the last thing I would advise, but as a matter of survival, all creatures are fair game."-- Les Stroud.

I wonder if spyders feel that way too??--mark.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tikkidaddy wrote:Dude...thats freakin' hilarious!!

But seriously, somebody DID that? Really did that...I seen a guy soak a ladybug salt in bleach on u-tube for reportedly over 3wks i think, in a jar in his closet. The other knives in the same jar...well..didnt do so good...
http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... t=chlorine
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tec5000

Post by tec5000 »

Antonio_Luiz wrote:Forgive my ignorance. This is a genuine question and I am not trying to be sarcastic.

I understand the value of a knife when diving/fishing and even canoeing, but why do you need a knife for swimming?
I know this reply is late but could not resist...... Rule #9
"Get yourself a Glock and lose that nickel plated sissy pistol."
 or a Spyderco!
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

I remember reading about FFG not really working with H1, I'd like to know if plain edge or serrated does better with H1. I only have semi serrated & serrated in Salt, for now...

Edit: Rule 9, as in, 'If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.' -Velominati.com
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

Isn't Rule #9: Never go anywhere without a knife?
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

I like that rule 9 better, but then it'd be called rule 1 no?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Rule no 1 for some of us, rule #9 for Leroy Jethro Gibbs.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Sht

Post by Sht »

When I go In the ocean my Tasman comes with. If you can rust it you must be the man!
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times