Spyderco prices are pushing me right out of my hobby.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

spoonrobot wrote:That analogy doesn't hold up.
Fine, insert analogy of your own choosing.
Blerv wrote:So your advocating blatant IP theft? Ok, that extreme looks way better ;) .

If a knife has a dozen parts I think you can credit the inventor. If the writing gets too tiring the maker could try...inventing something new.

I'm saying the "ownership" of an idea has to stop at some point. There is extreme level of double standard in knife industry, many of you will feverishly defend your favorite company's idea, include those long expired according to patent law, yet you will not think twice in taking advantage of other amenities in your life provided by exactly the same thing, like how you aren't paying a dollar per pill for tylenol.

Or just look at the BS patent war going on between the tech companies, like apple trying to shut down everyone else because their product remotely looks like theirs.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jzmtl wrote:Fine, insert analogy of your own choosing.

I'm saying the "ownership" of an idea has to stop at some point. There is extreme level of double standard in knife industry, many of you will feverishly defend your favorite company's idea, include those long expired according to patent law, yet you will not think twice in taking advantage of other amenities in your life provided by exactly the same thing, like how you aren't paying a dollar per pill for tylenol.

Or just look at the BS patent war going on between the tech companies, like apple trying to shut down everyone else because their product remotely looks like theirs.
Sometimes attribution serves a purpose, sometimes it doesn't. In the specific case of locks, there are several different types of liner lock. Even a Spyderco compression lock hidden beneath scales can be called a liner lock. Specifying a Walker lock, or Michael Walker lock serves as disambiguation, not merely homage. The same logic of disambiguation applies to specifying a RIL or Reeve Integral lock rather than using the broader term framelock. In either case, if the looser term was used, the next question in the minds of at least the more sophisticated buyer would be "what kind?", at which point you'd have to call it what it was anyway. The same may even apply to the Collins Bolt Action lock. For all I know, there may be other, functionally different bolt action locks out there. Granted, there may be less necessity for specifying the origins of the midlock but I see no harm in it, since the Mar/McBurnette version is a bit different from Spyderco's current implementation of its underlying concept.

Why go out and invent a new word or words to unambiguously describe a lock for which there's already a specific name, just because that name includes the name of its inventor?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
tr4022

Post by tr4022 »

David, I think you struck a nerve with this thread, my man. So far, 13 pages and going strong! Will it ever end? :D

Tod
Gomer: Goober says 'Hey!'
Andy: Hey to Goober.
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

On the contrary, I'm saying going out of the way just to include attribution is not necessary.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jzmtl wrote:On the contrary, I'm saying going out of the way just to include attribution is not necessary.
And an example of that would be?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Rather not say it here, there are enough fanatics who want to burn me on a stake for what I said already. :D
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

I don't care about being burned at the stake. Are you talking about the round hole opener?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

- Given all the constraints, Spyderco prices are about what they should be. Probably a bit low all things considered. $140 for a CTS 204P Para w/G10? Who else has a deal like that?
- I would rather have great steels and quality construction than products built to a lower price point. When you lower the price, you lower the content. Not what I would choose.
- I don't care if the inventor of a design feature is glorified in ad copy any more than I care who wrote a given java module on my phone. Really? You're on this forum and you don't know one lock from another? I do care that engineers specify great features and that the license fee is paid to the appropriate party.
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

http://www.spyderco.com/byte/june2012/
I don't know....this is what some people are talking about here.......and this is an inexpensive item...and I'm hearing all over the web, WHAT! $15.00 for a Spyderco Bead, are they out of their minds!).....but people I hear want-em, some refusing to pay the price, other saying they will only buy one, but wish the price wasn't ridiculous.......FWIW The Op and a lot of people out there are not as crazy as some of you might make them out to be....There will come a point when people will just say no........I already have concerning the pricing of some of the newer models. When production knife prices start reaching the pricing of Custom Made Knives....you just might see a shift in buyer demands......Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

jzmtl wrote:Rather not say it here, there are enough fanatics who want to burn me on a stake for what I said already. :D
Worst case most members would just argue you are wrong. The witch hunting forumites died out mostly in the 17th and 18th centuries.

Jay_Ev wrote:I don't care about being burned at the stake. Are you talking about the round hole opener?
This thread is going to hit page 30! I can feel it! :)
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:http://www.spyderco.com/byte/june2012/
<snip> When production knife prices start reaching the pricing of Custom Made Knives....you just might see a shift in buyer demands......Doc :)
This is certainly a rational view, but how many custom makers are offering M390, CTS 204P, or even CTS XHP at the HT quality and prices we're seeing from Spyderco right now?
Dr. Snubnose

Post by Dr. Snubnose »

Spook410 wrote:This is certainly a rational view, but how many custom makers are offering M390, CTS 204P, or even CTS XHP at the HT quality and prices we're seeing from Spyderco right now?
More than you know!......Doc :)
"Always Judge a man by the way he treats someone who could be of no possible use to him"

*Custom Avatar with the Help of Daywalker*
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:More than you know!......Doc :)
Apparently more than I know..

I can't find anything custom in CTS 204P and only the Microtech whaleshark (for $375) in a production model.

For M390 I see lots of posts on how expensive the steel is and how hard it is to work with but nothing in the way of advertised knives. If you know of someone making quality custom M390 folders for cheap, please share. (I don't mean that snarky.. I mean I would like to go buy one)

There are quite a few custom makers using CTS XHP but I'm not seeing anything comparable to say a brown Millie for less than $300.

If there is a world of quality custom makers out there selling in the $150-$300 market that are poised to take over the market with just a bit more increase in Spyderco's price, I'm having a hard time locating it.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I've also noticed that many of the newer models are quite a bit more expensive than what I'm used to. I realize that this is because of the materials and engineering that are of a higher magnitude than the regular ol' models. I appreciate Spyderco offering these higher end products in addition to their regulars. This year I'll be buying just a few select knives of impeccable materials and design rather than a dozen or so cheaper (though still great) Spydies. I already have more knives than I can carry and use on a regular basis, so I'm okay giving up a bit of quantity to get just a few of these higher end offerings.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Dr. Snubnose wrote:http://www.spyderco.com/byte/june2012/
I don't know....this is what some people are talking about here.......and this is an inexpensive item...and I'm hearing all over the web, WHAT! $15.00 for a Spyderco Bead, are they out of their minds!).....but people I hear want-em, some refusing to pay the price, other saying they will only buy one, but wish the price wasn't ridiculous.......
If you think $15 for a genuine spyderco lanyard bead is expensive, you clearly haven't seen stalingear beads which retail for about $300? All with about 50c worth of copper in them.

I don't know why spyderco has been singled out as being expensive, I think the title of this thread should be "the cost of living" is pushing me out of my hobby. It has been mentioned that spyderco have cut their already tight margins on some models to keep costs down, they have to be one of the most ethical and consumer friendly companies around. If you compare prices in the knife market I think you will find they are more than reasonable, tell me how a strider is worth $300 more than a Ti millie, put simply, its not.
BAL

Post by BAL »

wtnz - Spyderco is being singled out because this is a Spyderco thread. There isn't animosity
about the prices, I think that it's just a discussion on how many of the newer models are of
a better quality and the prices reflect that. just my opinion

I am confused anyway at the prices of pewter type trinkets and what-not. I have seen things
that I thought wa kind of interesting t hat I would like to have, but have a hard time paying
high dollar for something that I really have no use for. Other the other hand, I do need that
50th knife. :cool:
flipe8

Post by flipe8 »

I just wrote up a long winded post and lost it when trying to post it, so I'm gonna make it short and sweet offering my opinion.
Basically, I'm good with Spyderco offering these products in this price-point, but the air is pretty thin in this particular market. I've spent a fair bit of money in this market of high priced productions, but I'm very picky of knives at this point. If Spyderco wants to get my cash, they will have to produce knives that allow me to justify the purchase by being directly compared to other companies' knives that I've used. IMO, Spyderco is a relative newcomer to this market and will have to rely on making a superior product and not previous brand loyalty in order to compete with established manufacturers that don't offer as broad a base of products.
I think Spyderco has a bit of an uphill battle, as many of "us" are gonna have a hard time accepting Spyderco having knives outside the tradtional comfort zone of their offerings. The reason many of are here is due to the fact Spyderco has a reputation of building high quality, relatively modestly priced products.
Spyopera
SFKW sugilite Kiwi
CRK Small Sebenza 31
Far too many sold...:o

Trusting my own experience
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

w3tnz wrote:If you think $15 for a genuine spyderco lanyard bead is expensive, you clearly haven't seen stalingear beads which retail for about $300? All with about 50c worth of copper in them.

I don't know why spyderco has been singled out as being expensive, I think the title of this thread should be "the cost of living" is pushing me out of my hobby. It has been mentioned that spyderco have cut their already tight margins on some models to keep costs down, they have to be one of the most ethical and consumer friendly companies around. If you compare prices in the knife market I think you will find they are more than reasonable, tell me how a strider is worth $300 more than a Ti millie, put simply, its not.
I have, and I think they are a complete and total waste of money.

You can create your own thread if you want to name it "the cost of living is pushing me out of my hobby". I don't think you've read a lot of this thread or you would see how my thoughts have changed over the pages of this thread.

You can make it about other brands too, but this is the the Spyderco forum and we choose not to do so. Thanks. :)
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There is more to this thread than 13 pages of economic moaning. I think most would agree that Spyderco's msrp model is fair. It costs them more to make = it costs you more to buy.

More than anything I see this as a reflection to what the people want these days. Namely sophisticated models with exotic materials. That alone contributes more to the price (IMHO) than the inflation of expenses. It's also the only thing in the consumers control assuming they want it changed at all.

I mean, I hate gravity but cant change that either. However, I could lose 30 pounds or just give up my track and field dream :p .
cckw

Post by cckw »

..... the pointless thread that won't die