Spyderco prices are pushing me right out of my hobby.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fred Sanford

Spyderco prices are pushing me right out of my hobby.

Post by Fred Sanford »

It's so hard for me to see how in an economy that is so bad, how people will pay for expensive knives. Obviously the demand is there or Spyderco wouldn't price their knives so high.

I can get a Caly 3 in ZDP-189/420J2 for about $115. However the Caly 3.5 with the same handles and blade steel is about $175. :eek:

There are a lot of Japan/Taiwan models that are basically out of my reach and I make pretty darn good money.

Seems that the only ones I can afford any more are ones made in Golden Colorado, or the FRN Spydies. Anything G10 or carbon fiber or titanium made outside of the USA is out of my reach financially. Maybe Spyderco wants people to start buying stuff made in Golden more.

I was really looking forward to getting a Centofante Memory until I saw that it would be about a $210 knife. The Lion Spy is a $300 knife? Wow.

The Spyderco Tuff looks freakin' awesome. Not for $240. If I'm spending that kind of paper I'll throw down another $100 and get a Sebenza that's made in the USA.

I know this is pretty much a rant but I'm just getting frustrated at being priced out of my hobby.

Glad I like the Para 2 and the Manix 2.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

This is why I buy used knives. Giant discounts on the premium items, even discontinued blades and sprint runs. I'd much rather buy 3 nice used knives for $100 a piece than a LionSpy. That's just me. Some people scrimp and save (like Sir Paul ;) ) all year to buy one really expensive Spyderco. Some people buy tons of cheap ones. Where there's a will there's a way. I'm always willing.

And when it comes down to it, you get what you pay for. If there is another company out there that can match what Spyderco brings to the table for the price please, show me the way, because I'll jump ship. But as far as I can tell that will never happen. Where else can you get carbon fiber and M4 for less than $150? The Gayle Bradley is just one example, but there are plenty more. I've never been able to find a manufacturer that can match the value that is wrung out of Spydercos knives. I doubt I ever will. That is what keeps me coming back. I think we get spoiled by having ultra premium materials in **** near every knife we get out hands on and paying a fair price for it.
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

I know what you mean as there are some hobbies that simply cost too much for me to participate in the way I would like if I were rich. On Spyderco pricing , there are several things play into a companies pricing:

- Cost of production
-- Labor (design and development, manufacturing, distribution)
-- Materials
-- R&D (a Spyderco strength)
-- A bunch of other stuff like the cost of money, real estate, overhead

- The marketplace (for instance, what are your competitors charging and how do their products compare to yours)

- Return On Investment

I feel Spyderco is spot on with their prices and when they could gouge, they don't. I appreciate the opportunity they give me to have top steels in function-over-fluff designs. When I consider price I think about 'compared to what?'. For now, looks good to me.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

I see what you are saying but I think the quality and materials of spydercos overall are a great value compared to other companies "gold" lines etc.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
SCARLETT

Post by SCARLETT »

My hobbie is being a pilot however I cant afford a Citation Jet so I fly a Cessna 150. Just saying....
:spyder:33:spyder:
Dreaming of an A.T.R. with combo TI/G10 scales
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I save up. That's the only way i can blow money like this on something that i really DON'T need more of. Even then the cash is hard to let go of. I prioritize my hobbies to the point where if i buy a knife, everything else gets put on hold until i recoup the cash. It helps that i feel like i'm getting my money's worth on the ones i do buy, and i USE them. I don't see how people can blow this much money on something that sits in a box and might get fondled once in a while. When you actually use the knife, you get a better feeling of money well spent. I guess some people get that fulfillment from fondling their safe queens...i just can't relate.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MachSchnell

Post by MachSchnell »

I'm right there with you, and I can only afford what I will truly put to work. In this case the Southfork and Green Para2. I like some of the new models, but when there is something like the para that I have been so accustomed to there is no need to explore other designs. However I have no need for three Para's (that's including the upcoming green one) but they are relatively affordable and it's nice to alternate them and not just beat the heck out of one of them.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

I think Spyderco's are a GREAT value. That said, if knife prices keep going up we're going to have to exclude them from the inflation index, like we do food and fuel, to keep the published inflation numbers low. ;)

Ken
玉鋼
mikerestivo

Post by mikerestivo »

I have never had any inexpensive hobbies. It's always been a struggle between what gear I want and the fact that I am not sitting on a pot of gold.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

mikerestivo wrote:I have never had any inexpensive hobbies. It's always been a struggle between what gear I want and the fact that I am not sitting on a pot of gold.
You and me both, brother ;)

Ken
玉鋼
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Not really comparable since the oversea examples all use higher grade of material, then there's your dollar losing almost 40% of its value in the past couple years, that add up pretty quick.
DCDesigns

Post by DCDesigns »

Well, dont think they will be lowering their prices any time soon. They have always been costly, have you just noticed? lol.

What more can I say, you gotta pay to play! I second what evil D said, used is the way to go. It might be a while for the hot new stuff to hit the second hand market, but pretty good deals are out there to be had. Personally, I think spyderco's pricing is pretty much near perfect. The only pricing I would complain about is the gouging that happens second hand for knives like the s90v/CF series. $400+ for a para, forgetaboutit. I dont think you are being priced out of your hobby, you just have to be selective about your purchases, and understand that unless you win the lottery, you wont own them all. If there is a knife I want bad enough, price doesnt matter, I will save til its mine! Also I will sell just about anything when I fall in love with a blade. Letting go of 4-5 knives that I like, but dont love, is a great way to buy one that I am crazy about! (ahem szabo folder)
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

DCDesigns wrote:(ahem szabo folder)
I like the looks of that one but just can't picture myself actually using one. Reviews will be interesting.

Ken
玉鋼
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The prices you quoted don't line up with reality. This looks like it's mostly a perception problem as you appear not to know how much things cost and why they cost what they do.

e.g.;
The ZDP189 Caly3 is $146.95 listed at Knifecenter.
The ZDP189 Caly3.5 is $172.95 listed a Knifecenter.

You're also quoting prices for knives that are still in pre-order status. As well as knives that don't have comparable models from other manufacturers. The Lionspy is Elmax steel and Titanium framelock for $320, the only other folder with that steel and with a Titanium lock is $260 and doesn't have the same features.

Of all the interactions I've had with Spyderco I trust their pricing policy and believe they have and will continue to give a good value.

Good luck with your new hobby.
Jay_Ev

Post by Jay_Ev »

DCDesigns wrote:Well, dont think they will be lowering their prices any time soon. They have always been costly, have you just noticed? lol.
Actually, I disagree that they have always been costly. It wasn't until recent times that I have seen a $300 street price Spydie.

I agree with O.P. Lately I have had to ease back and be more selective with my purchases, whereas in the past I had a more relaxed & frivolous Spydie purchasing attitude.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] <--- My Spydies <click the dancing banana!>
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

That's true of a lot of hobbies David. Prices, especially for non-essentials, have been rising faster than incomes. In a way, I consider myself fortunate that such a large percentage of the models and variants Spyderco has introduced since my retirement have features which make them easy for me to refrain from purchasing. OTOH, aside from a few "super steel Sprints", prices on the secondary market seem generally lower than they were a couple years back. Great for those wanting to add to a collection, bad for those looking to downsize one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Just for some perspective, a Hinderer XM18 just sold for $875 in 13 minutes (I guess it was a deal?)

I'll stick with Spydies, thank you!

Ken
玉鋼
Fred Sanford

Post by Fred Sanford »

SCARLETT wrote:My hobbie is being a pilot however I cant afford a Citation Jet so I fly a Cessna 150. Just saying....
Yeah but you were never able to afford a Jet and can now only buy a Cessna right? Just sayin'....

DCDesigns wrote:Well, dont think they will be lowering their prices any time soon. They have always been costly, have you just noticed? lol.

What more can I say, you gotta pay to play! I second what evil D said, used is the way to go. It might be a while for the hot new stuff to hit the second hand market, but pretty good deals are out there to be had. Personally, I think spyderco's pricing is pretty much near perfect. The only pricing I would complain about is the gouging that happens second hand for knives like the s90v/CF series. $400+ for a para, forgetaboutit. I dont think you are being priced out of your hobby, you just have to be selective about your purchases, and understand that unless you win the lottery, you wont own them all. If there is a knife I want bad enough, price doesnt matter, I will save til its mine! Also I will sell just about anything when I fall in love with a blade. Letting go of 4-5 knives that I like, but dont love, is a great way to buy one that I am crazy about! (ahem szabo folder)
Have I just noticed? No. From 2005 until late 2009 I could buy just about anything in the Spyderco lineup without much of a problem. From 2010 to now, forget it. In addition, I've had some good raises since then too.
spoonrobot wrote:The prices you quoted don't line up with reality. This looks like it's mostly a perception problem as you appear not to know how much things cost and why they cost what they do.

e.g.;
The ZDP189 Caly3 is $146.95 listed at Knifecenter.
The ZDP189 Caly3.5 is $172.95 listed a Knifecenter.

You're also quoting prices for knives that are still in pre-order status. As well as knives that don't have comparable models from other manufacturers. The Lionspy is Elmax steel and Titanium framelock for $320, the only other folder with that steel and with a Titanium lock is $260 and doesn't have the same features.

Of all the interactions I've had with Spyderco I trust their pricing policy and believe they have and will continue to give a good value.

Good luck with your new hobby.
Sure they do spoonrobot. Do the math. Most Spydies sell for MSRP x 60%. You take any of those MSRP's and multiply them by 60% you get what current knives mostly sell for and what new ones will sell for.

I don't shop at Knifecenter because they are too expensive. Fortunately right now I can get a ZDP Caly 3 from several VERY GOOD ebay dealers for about $115. It only dropped that low after people realized they were not selling the Caly 3 ZDP for $140 or $150. I do realize that's probably not a good example until the ZDP Caly 3.5 can be had on ebay but regardless. I compare prices across the board. No matter where I can get it, I go by what the "street price" is.
"I'm calling YOU ugly, I could push your face in some dough and make gorilla cookies." - Fred Sanford
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

I've really eased back on my knife spending for two reasons.

1. I need to be able to justify the purchase to myself and the more knives I have the harder it becomes.
2. As I buy and use more knives my tastes become much more specific.

I can't really complain about the price or what I consider a luxury item (don't get me wrong in my opinion everyone needs a good, reliable , safe pocket knife). Does anyone really need to have multiple knives in the latest most advanced steels. I could easlily live with my G10 Delica and CE Millie for the rest of my life without ever really needing another for life.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Prices are definitely going to be a factor in my purchases this year too. Yes I am selling a few things off in order to pay bills, but looking forward, even when I do have spare money, there are 2 that I am looking at buying. Not the 30 that I bought over the last 18 months.
Many of those were on the second hand market and I jumped on deals...but still I'm not about to start tossing down $200 each knife.
On the hunt for...