Broke wire clip on CHAPARRAL

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gravedigger

Broke wire clip on CHAPARRAL

Post by Gravedigger »

At work today I was inside an air handler and guess it got hung up. found knife in pocket at lunch with clip broken off. Need replacement but can only find 3 screw clips.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Gravedigger wrote:At work today I was inside an air handler and guess it got hung up. found knife in pocket at lunch with clip broken off. Need replacement but can only find 3 screw clips.
If the holes aren't stripped, just order a clip kit from SFO. it comes with the screws.

It happens. Destroyed a few myself. Still my favorite clip, by far.

Ken
玉鋼
jackthedog

Post by jackthedog »

Just give the SFO a call. They sell clip kits and will get them to you quickly.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

In fact correct me if I'm wrong but would it take the same low-ride clip that the Caly3/3.5 uses? If you wanted that look that is and it would fit.
OutOfTheBlue

Post by OutOfTheBlue »

Do the screws thread onto the scales + the steel liners? Or only the liners?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

As jackthedog noted, calling the Spyderco Factory Outlet is the simplest way to get a replacement. Phone number and hours are at the bottom of this page.
OutOfTheBlue wrote:Do the screws thread onto the scales + the steel liners? Or only the liners?
The wire clips on most Spydercos, including the Chaparral, are held on by a single screw. More precisely, a "Chicago screw" style combination of a regular screw and an internally threaded screw, that goes all the way through the handle but does not thread into anything but itself. The two legs of the wire clip sit under one of the screw heads.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
benben

Post by benben »

Snapped my wire clip on my 2 week old caly 3.5, called SFO and was told the silver clip was on backorder. Was sent a black clip for a chaparral. 2 days mail to
North Carolina for $8.90. Great service !
benben

Post by benben »

BTW The Deacon is 100% correct in his description on the single chicago screw style fastener. You will need 2 seperate T8 torx driver/bits to tighten both
sides at the same time. I assume the Chaparral also uses T8, thats what my Caly 3.5 was.
benben
BAL

Post by BAL »

Love the name and welcome Gravedigger. We have a German Shepherd with
the same name. My 12 year old son sat in Grave Digger this year at St. Louis.
Zatx

Post by Zatx »

Wow.. surprised to hear stories of broken wire clips. I only carry Spydercos that have the wire clips and have never broken one. Before I went to "wire clips only" I broke three clips off of my Endura 4. I'm of the opinion that the Spyderco wire clip is the best knife clip ever invented.
“Open, close, cut, clean, oil, cut, cut, cut... To a Spyderco, that is living. Letting it die in the box is to lose 75% of what we put into it." -----Sal Glesser
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Zatx wrote: I'm of the opinion that the Spyderco wire clip is the best knife clip ever invented.
As am I. I've even reclipped a few knives I liked otherwise to be wire clipped.

It doesn't happen often and I usually blame my large bulk trying to occupy an area that's too small ;) Something has to give ;)

Ken
玉鋼
Gravedigger

Post by Gravedigger »

Gravedigger came from my friends in high school 30+ years ago. I filled in graves and cut the grass for my church. My wrestling coach thought he had heard all the excuses to miss practice until I told him I needed to fill in a grave.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Zatx wrote:Wow.. surprised to hear stories of broken wire clips. I only carry Spydercos that have the wire clips and have never broken one. Before I went to "wire clips only" I broke three clips off of my Endura 4. I'm of the opinion that the Spyderco wire clip is the best knife clip ever invented.
Same. I can only assume any force able to snap a wire clip would send a similar hourglass clip to its grave.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:Same. I can only assume any force able to snap a wire clip would send a similar hourglass clip to its grave.
It does ;)

Ken
玉鋼
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

It is a shame the SFO has them on backorder. I need several of them for various knives. I have yet to break one, but I have snagged them and bent them pretty far out of shape. Can someone let us know when they become available again? Taz, you around with any suggesions?
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
BAL

Post by BAL »

Gravedigger wrote:Gravedigger came from my friends in high school 30+ years ago. I filled in graves and cut the grass for my church. My wrestling coach thought he had heard all the excuses to miss practice until I told him I needed to fill in a grave.
That's a dang funny story, can't wait to tell my son about that one.
Sorry coach I have to dig a grave.