Spyderco takes home an Award at the 2012 Blade Show

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

The Deacon wrote:I'm fine now, just a combination of unfortunate events.
Good to hear, brother!

Sounds like a great knife.

Ken
玉鋼
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

glad to hear all is well Paul, you and Bear take care! :)

Now will someone please post a picture of this knife (if it was allowed to be photographed by :spyder: that is). i searched the web and couldn't find anything. i think that it is awesome that Spyderco continually trys to make knives to help the people that protect us and even God's creatures (whale knife) and are being recognized for it. Thanks Sal and crew!
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
GMAN

Post by GMAN »

tonydahose wrote:glad to hear all is well Paul, you and Bear take care! :)

Now will someone please post a picture of this knife (if it was allowed to be photographed by :spyder: that is). i searched the web and couldn't find anything. i think that it is awesome that Spyderco continually trys to make knives to help the people that protect us and even God's creatures (whale knife) and are being recognized for it. Thanks Sal and crew!
I have pics but cant post them I can email them to someone so they can post them let me know
Pinetreebbs

Post by Pinetreebbs »

michaelm466 wrote:Pics? :D
All I've heard is that its an auto an in H1.
C.L.L 97 wrote:Pics please, for those of us knife nuts that didn't get to go to blade :(
speedcut wrote:C mon give us some pics.... :)
Bradley wrote:Looking forward to pics of this one.
tonydahose wrote:glad to hear all is well Paul, you and Bear take care! :)

There are picture in this thread: http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthre ... ts-at-4-12
Have you joined Knife Rights yet?
Go to: http://www.KnifeRights.org
Protecting your Right to own and carry the knives YOU choose.
VaderSpade

Post by VaderSpade »

Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

If I followed this correctly there will be two versions.
One an uncoated H-1 blade with yellow handles.
Second (and the one that got the award) a coated H-1 with black handles.
Both autos and restricted.

Coated H-1 almost seems like overkill, but makes it pretty darn guaranteed there won't be any rust. :D

Personally I think I'll opt for the shiny blade and yellow handle version.

Congrats to Sal and the team for a well deserved win and a great design.
Blades

Post by Blades »

--Jason--
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Owl45 wrote:If I followed this correctly there will be two versions.
One an uncoated H-1 blade with yellow handles.
Second (and the one that got the award) a coated H-1 with black handles.
Both autos and restricted.

Coated H-1 almost seems like overkill, but makes it pretty darn guaranteed there won't be any rust. :D

Personally I think I'll opt for the shiny blade and yellow handle version.

Congrats to Sal and the team for a well deserved win and a great design.
I'm sure the coating is for light discipline, not corrosion prevention. This is H-1 we're talking about here.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

From what was said the yellow uncoated H1 was the prototype, and the production version will be the black/black shown?
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

Bill1170 wrote:I'm sure the coating is for light discipline, not corrosion prevention. This is H-1 we're talking about here.
That makes perfect sense. I was thinking the Coast Guard wouldn't be concerned with that, but the larger market might very well.
w3tnz wrote:From what was said the yellow uncoated H1 was the prototype, and the production version will be the black/black shown?
TazKristi wrote:The knife shown is what was submitted for the award, the knives in the prototype case at the booth were prototypes. They are actually both correct. ;)
I took Kristi's "correct" comment to mean both would be produced, but I may be entirely wrong. I imagine we'll find out for sure shortly.
tec5000

Post by tec5000 »

Those of you that are not fans of HI steel must not live near, spend time under salt water or participate in an endurance sport and cary a knife. I live less the 2mil from the Atlantic ocean, dive, paddle SUP's and ride 100-250mil a week on a bike. I carry a knife at all times and H1 is the only steel that can stand up to that use. I am a CCW holder and FL law allows me to cary autos yet there has been no auto that survive more then a few weeks in the above described environment. I am very excited to pick up an Autonomy and put if through all the salt paces possible and will gladly report back.

just my $.0.02
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

tec5000 wrote:Those of you that are not fans of HI steel must not live near, spend time under salt water or participate in an endurance sport and cary a knife. I live less the 2mil from the Atlantic ocean, dive, paddle SUP's and ride 100-250mil a week on a bike. I carry a knife at all times and H1 is the only steel that can stand up to that use. I am a CCW holder and FL law allows me to cary autos yet there has been no auto that survive more then a few weeks in the above described environment. I am very excited to pick up an Autonomy and put if through all the salt paces possible and will gladly report back.

just my $.0.02
Glad it works for you. However, no steel works for everyone and not all of us have similar needs. I'd bet there are plenty of folks who live inland and either don't feel the need to carry a knife while engaging in those activities or carry one in a waterproof container while doing so. For them, H-1 really only makes sense in SE, where the higher cost is justified by superior edge holding and some of them may still prefer as more scratch resistant steel.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
mikeh99

Post by mikeh99 »

Does anyone know if the Autonomy will be left hand compatible?
Mike
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

mikeh99 wrote:Does anyone know if the Autonomy will be left hand compatible?
The firing and safety buttons are larger than those on the Embassy and Citadel and, like them the clip can be mounted on either side. However, the buttons are still on the wrong side. So I'd rate it as a bit more lefty friendly than them, but not full ambi by any means. I still want one, but that's more a developing second childhood fascination with things that pop open than anything else. :o :D
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

SolidState wrote:H1 PARA :eek:
+1 and let's not forget an H1 Military (or to go a lot further H1 Navy).
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Guy Vanderveken

Post by Guy Vanderveken »

That knife looks great, I would get that. Pure Function, love the handle

I just do not get why nobody coats the blade a lumi colour, of any rescue knife for that matter, as that would be what I want to see with bad visibility, especially when cutting, and with movement etc.