Just recieved the Centofante3, impressions.........

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Great pic dbcad! :)

It's a great knife. I do like the Delica but comparatively the Cento line is just gorgeous.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

The Cento3 was my first Spyderco knife and the one which made me buy more. It still holds a special place in my blade inventory and I carry it sometimes. I wish there was a Millie sized version of it.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

I know this is an older thread, but man, this knife still rocks!
I am waiting for mine to be delivered, and this thread is not making the waiting very easy!
I completely agree that if people are looking at the Delica (which is a great knife in itself), they really need to take a hard, long look at the Centofante3! This is not just your average knife, but one that was designed by an amazing craftsman, and the knife just oozes quality!
Don't count this knife out just because if doesn't get as much attention as some of the more well known spydies! You will get an amazing knife at an incredible price.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

How is the non-textured grip on the handle. This is the only FRN knife I'm aware of that doesn't have the standard texture. I'm sure it's good but wonder why they didn't use it. I think it does make it look more like a gent's knife. I've considered this one off and on for quite a while. I always have balked about the pinned construction. Everyone who owns one says they don't have problems with blade play at all. Not really concerned about blade play on a knife like this though. I wouldn't use it for much hard cutting I don't think. Even so, I've gotten used to and like being able to take my knives apart. I don't take them all apart, just like being able to. The Centofante 3 and Dragonfly are two knives I have really wanted and never bought. I have decided the D'fly is my next knife. Now I'm thinking maybe the Cento3 should be next. I do like the looks of this knife.

Congratulations on your new knife. I'm sure you'll keep loving it.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Give it a shot Jack :) Just think 2mm + hollow grind + VG-10. I'm sure it will work for your edge obsessed mind as well as it did for mine :eek: :D ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Jack i've put my Centofante 4 through the paces cutting cardboard at work and it's held up extremely well. The lack of texture on the grip never made a difference for me, but i'm usually working with dry hands so take that for what it's worth. It does have a slight texture to it..and i mean slight..it's not as smooth as SS is. As for the pinned construction, i really prefer a screw pivot at the least, but this is one of the only knives i own that has seen extensive use and still doesn't have blade play. Granted, the pivot action is a bit stiffer than say my Para 2 is, but i can live with that, and it's a back lock after all so i expect it to be stiffer opening. The only thing i had a gripe with was the point on the top of the spine/thumb ramp, and the jimping was pretty sharp, so i took the Dremel to the jimping and took it down to where it's more square/gear looking teeth and i took the edge off the point at the end of the thumb ramp. I still have plenty of traction with the jimping being smoothed down. This is also one of the FEW Spyderco's i've handled where i didn't miss not having a 50/50 choil. I personally really wish the Delica/Endura handles were modeled after the Centofante's, because the ergonomics are fantastic. It's one of those knives that doesn't force your hand into a particular grip style, so you can use it for long periods of time without any hot spots in the grip no matter how you handle it. It's also the knife that made me appreciate thin(er) blades. I don't own the Centofante 3 yet but i plan on getting one, and i'm still holding my breath for a Centofante 4 in ZDP/BRG.

Shameless pic whoring :D

It's a knife that doesn't get carried as much as others, simply because i so much prefer the compression lock over a back lock. What would really peak on my grail scale is a Vesuvius sprint in ZDP with some improvements to the compression lock...THAT would be a sick knife.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

I would love to see this knife in a full flat grind at 1-1.5mm thick!
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dbcad wrote:Give it a shot Jack :) Just think 2mm + hollow grind + VG-10. I'm sure it will work for your edge obsessed mind as well as it did for mine :eek: :D ;)
Forget it db, you can't talk me out of getting one no matter how hard you try. :) I hope you are happy when I spend money on a new knife. Because it makes me happy as he**. :D You are right about the edge obsession and me. I am happy to say I can now get a knife sharper than I want it to be. There was a thread once with a title like "Can a knife be too sharp?". The answer is YES. I plan on getting them sharper also. I say this to encourage anyone who may be discouraged about sharpening. I know I have been from time to time. You do get past it though. :D Anyway, I believe the Cento 3 has taken the D'fly's place as my next knife. I do like having the extra blade length. You always seem to end up needing it.
Evil D wrote:Jack i've put my Centofante 4 through the paces cutting cardboard at work and it's held up extremely well. The lack of texture on the grip never made a difference for me, but i'm usually working with dry hands so take that for what it's worth. It does have a slight texture to it..and i mean slight..it's not as smooth as SS is. As for the pinned construction, i really prefer a screw pivot at the least, but this is one of the only knives i own that has seen extensive use and still doesn't have blade play. Granted, the pivot action is a bit stiffer than say my Para 2 is, but i can live with that, and it's a back lock after all so i expect it to be stiffer opening. The only thing i had a gripe with was the point on the top of the spine/thumb ramp, and the jimping was pretty sharp, so i took the Dremel to the jimping and took it down to where it's more square/gear looking teeth and i took the edge off the point at the end of the thumb ramp. I still have plenty of traction with the jimping being smoothed down. This is also one of the FEW Spyderco's i've handled where i didn't miss not having a 50/50 choil. I personally really wish the Delica/Endura handles were modeled after the Centofante's, because the ergonomics are fantastic. It's one of those knives that doesn't force your hand into a particular grip style, so you can use it for long periods of time without any hot spots in the grip no matter how you handle it. It's also the knife that made me appreciate thin(er) blades. I don't own the Centofante 3 yet but i plan on getting one, and i'm still holding my breath for a Centofante 4 in ZDP/BRG.

Shameless pic whoring :D

It's a knife that doesn't get carried as much as others, simply because i so much prefer the compression lock over a back lock. What would really peak on my grail scale is a Vesuvius sprint in ZDP with some improvements to the compression lock...THAT would be a sick knife.
You can't talk me out of wanting one either Evil. You gave a very nice short review of the knife even though it's the 4 (which I would love to have also). I can't think of a better blade than a wharncliff for cutting coupons out of the paper trying to save enough money to buy a Cento 3. :D Great pictures also. Those are Spyderco calendar quality if you ask me. I wonder if they would put a knife in a calendar that happens to be discontinued for that year. I don't think I would. Still, great pictures that will be saved on my hard drive.

I had to delete the pics from this post because I got a message that I had too many pictures. I believe the message said the limit was 10. Yours were the only pictures. Oh well. I can look at your post. :D

Edit: The error was because of smilies, not pictures. I would put a smilie right here indicating I'm a dummy but the forum software won't let me.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Your sincerity is always nice to read Jack :) Just keep thinking 2mm + hollowgrind + VG-1:D :D Not a scientific equation, just a summing of factors ;) Pic shortly :)
Charlie

dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Here you go jack :) 3 edges, each resplendent in their own glorius imperfection :D

You will enjoy the Cento3 :D :D
Attachments
3 edges.jpg
Charlie

Blue72

Post by Blue72 »

dbcad wrote:Here you go jack :) 3 edges, each resplendent in their own glorius imperfection :D

You will enjoy the Cento3 :D :D
What is the better slicer the cento3 or the air
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

I don't think there is a better or worse :) Depends on what you're cutting, what kind of edge you can get on them etc. Models such as the D'Fly FFG, Delica FFG, Chinese Lum, D'Fly and so on are alll capable of very good slicing capability :) When you try to get down to which is the "better" slicer it all depends on what you do with the edge ;)
Charlie

GCG199

Post by GCG199 »

I picked one of these up and am pleased with it.

The handle is a bit slippery, but still quite usable.

It is a great choice in the 3-inch blade category, like the Caly3/3.5 and Delica 4 FFG.

I wish I would have gotten a Centofante 4 when they were still available.
My favorite Spyderco knives include: Caly 3.5, Chaparral, Delica 4 FFG, Stretch, Para-Military 2, Endura 4 FFG, Manix 2 & Manix 2 XL!

TANSTAAFL
Deal4

Post by Deal4 »

Well, I finally got my Cent 3 in the mail yesterday and boy am I stoked! this thing is a mean little slicer!
I have a friend who supposedly likes knives and the blade was so sharp that it freaked him out! This is how all knives should be sharp wise! I am continually amazed how sharp knives come from Spyderco!
I love how thin and light this knife is, I almost forget I have a knife in my pocket. (other than that "I have a new Spyderco" grin that I can't keep off my face!)
This is one of the best finished massed produced knives I have seen! Really digging the 2mm VG10 blade!
If you are on the fence on getting this knife, trust me, you will not be disappointed!
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

See, we keep teling everyone so.
Did we exagerate or lie ? No
Bring back the four I say
Hey ? Sal. One day. :D
O.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I just hope to generate enough interest for these knives to hopefully see a Centofante 4 ZDP/BRG sprint run someday. That would just be a ridiculously badass combo.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

dbcad wrote:Give it a shot Jack :) Just think 2mm + hollow grind + VG-10. I'm sure it will work for your edge obsessed mind as well as it did for mine :eek: :D ;)

Well I've been thinking about that blade and I'll need to keep thinking about it for a while I guess. :( I have been wanting a D'fly for 2 or 3 years and always get something else instead. Well, that ends today. :D I JUST ORDERED A D'FLY!!! YEA! Sorry Mr. Centofante. Your turn will come. I got the VG-10 model. Was debating on the ZDP but decided this knife will be my loaner if the need arises. If I love it too much I may need a ZDP model the next time I get a D'fly (2 or 3 more years :) ). Hope I like it as much as I plan to. :D
Holland

Post by Holland »

great looking knife, not a fan of pinned construction tho
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
NeverEnough

Post by NeverEnough »

Mine arrived this week....like it a lot.Would like to try a 4 and all.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Holland wrote:great looking knife, not a fan of pinned construction tho
I had the same trepidation. After carrying and using the Cento3 for almost a half year now I am pretty much over my past bias of pinned knives. If done well, like the Cento3, there is no reason to fret :) I do not pry or torque the pivot laterally and use mine primarily for it's slicing capability :)
Charlie