second sage 1 or sage 2?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

second sage 1 or sage 2?

Post by casey1 »

i really love my sage 1. Have no complaints at all about it and want to eventually get a backup in case i lose the first. I would also consider getting the 2 as a backup... It's a lot more expensive though! What would you do? Back up your favorite knife first or get a variable version of it? Asking because I might only do one or the other.
maa14

Post by maa14 »

It depends if you are the kinda guy who likes, in years, if you need to replace the knife then you have a brand new one to put in your pocket. Or if you are the kind of guy who wants more variation in his knives. Personally I would usually go for mor variation but if I really like the knife and have the money then I would get 2. I wish I could have gotten 2 of the m390 PM2's but didnt have the money and BBS was out a few days after I bought mine.
:spyder:'s =FFG ZDP-189 Delica...Manix2...saber grind VG10 Delica...bug...Blue M390 Paramilitary 2...SE hawkbill Ladybug salt...sharpmaker with UF stones.orange and red baliyo...
Latest purchase=Gayle Bradley
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

casey1 wrote:i really love my sage 1. Have no complaints at all about it and want to eventually get a backup in case i lose the first. I would also consider getting the 2 as a backup... It's a lot more expensive though! What would you do? Back up your favorite knife first or get a variable version of it? Asking because I might only do one or the other.
I think you should get something different. Something you would buy if you were just looking for your next knife. That is if you have a wish list. My wish list only has a Chaparral titanium on it. After I get that I won't have a wish list until Spyderco comes out with new knives. So, if you have knives you want, get one of those. Seriously, what are the chances you will loose the Sage1? Slim or none. Break it? Not likely. I believe the money you spend on a Sage1 will be wasted. Money on a new knife will be well spent.

Jack

Post by 1623 »

I like Jack's way of thinking here, though I will say that the purchase of another Spyderco is never a waste of money if you truly enjoy it :)

I can't imagine with the popularity of these two models that either will be discontinued anytime soon, so there's no sense of urgency to acquire a back up.

If another Sage is what you desire, I'd suggest treating yourself to some Titanium 2 goodness and then purchase your second CF down the road when you're having a "must buy a knife" moment and nothing else is calling to you ;)
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Considering the Sage1 isn't a sprint or discontinued I don't see why buying a spare makes sense.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I'd definitely get the Sage 2 over another Sage 1. I like variety, and I prefer the Sage 2 anyway.
:bug-red-white
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

You should get the #2, everyone should have one, thin, clean lines, what is there not to like.
My guess, you will get a #1 later on, just to be safe. :D I did!
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Out of those two knives, even though I don't own either one of them, 9.5 times out of 10, I would definitely choose the sage 2...but that's just personal preference. It just looks stronger and tougher than the sage1, and IMO, just looks soooooo much better. Even though the s30v para2 is my favorite knife, I would rather buy different variations of it, than to buy the exact same knife.

But if you love the sage1 than I say get another one, it's your money, but trying different knives can't hurt anything, you can always sell it if you don't like it.
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar