Gayle Bradley only says Taiwan?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clip

Gayle Bradley only says Taiwan?

Post by Clip »

Hey guys,

I'd recently seen somewhere about the Gayle Bradley being improved with drilled liners to cut weight, etc. but didn't know when these changes happened. I've seen a GB with only Taiwan on the blade instead of Taichung Taiwan, and didn't know if this indicated an earlier or later model.

Can anyone provide some info?
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

The lack of "Taichung" would indicate an earlier production model, but I'm not sure if that necessarily coincides with the drilled liners.
:bug-red-white
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Yea I'm not sure if those two changes hit at the same time. At one point (early run) the GB didn't have Gayle's maker mark. It was offered as an aftermarket free service if mailed in.
TBob

Post by TBob »

My second run GB has the skeletonized liners and Taichung on the blade base. I believe those two things are synonymous, but not 100% positive. I think that the inclusion of cities to distinguish manufacturers both in Japan and Taiwan happened in the years between the two production lots. That's my impression, anyway.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

The really early ones did not have the Gayle Bradley logo - does yours?
TBob

Post by TBob »

My 2nd generation has the GB Weatherford, Texas logo, yes.
:spyder:: Advocate, Slysz Bowie Ti, Southard Black Blade, Stretch Carbon Fiber w/ZDP-189, Fluted Ti Native5, Terzuola Starmate, Terzuola SLIPIT, Leaf Storm, Gayle Bradley, Roadie, Chaparral CF, Chaparral Ti Stealth, Des Horn, Stretch FRN (Blue) ZDP-189, Centofante Memory, Military Black Blade CE, Delica4 FRN CE, Endura4 FRN Black Blade CE, Assist Orange FRN, Manbug ZDP-189, Ladybug 3 FRN SE, Delica4 Blue NLEOMF, Moran Drop Point BB, et al. :spyder: Spydie Fanatic #179 :spyder:
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

I think only very few went out without GB logo, mine is the 1st gen solid liner and I bought it very shortly after release and it has the logo.
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

IIRC the first 200 or so didn't have Gayle's logo. The rest of the run did had his logo with solid liners.

I would assume that they probably wouldn't normally make a change in the middle of a run (other then for something like missing the makers mark) and so I would think that the addition of Taichung was probably added on the second run, which also has the drilled liners. Just my thought...could be totally wrong.
On the hunt for...
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

And the first run with the reportedly higher Rc....
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:And the first run with the reportedly higher Rc....
Which I love. M4 should be run at higher RC IMO. And I have 2 of the first run, one with and one without Gayle's MM.

Ken
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

They also glow blue when trolls are near. Save me Aragorn! :)
Wildernest Survivor

Post by Wildernest Survivor »

My CC# GB has only "Taiwan" as well. It also has the Weatherford, Texas logo. You definitely have an earlier model.
"Next time there's a revolution - wake up earlier!"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Vince Aut Morire

jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I think the Rc now is around 64 and I have one of the newer ones. Is that the Rc now? What was it when it was higher? Were there problems like chipping when it was higher? If not, why lower it? Or was it an accident by turning the stove up too high? :)

Jack
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I think the ones on the regular(present) GB is around 62Rc. I really don't know if the first run was dialed in at around 64Rc. That's just talk around the forums which might or might not be based on facts. I think the only Spyderco steel at 64Rc now is ZDP.
Spyharpy

Post by Spyharpy »

I have a first production run with full liners, no logo and Taiwan only. There was discussion about this once before and I recall the hardness of the steel was reduced to make it easier to work with.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:They also glow blue when trolls are near. Save me Aragorn! :)
Oh, my word, Blake. We just got back from the Outer Banks and I read the LOTR series while I was there. Never had before. Read the Hobbit back in the 70s but never LOTR. Great series. Even d/l'd the Simerilian to read next.

I think Sam would totally carry a GB! OTOH, I want Glamdring ;)

Ken

(by the way, it was Orcs.... Did it glow with Trolls?)
玉鋼
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

kbuzbee wrote:Oh, my word, Blake. We just got back from the Outer Banks and I read the LOTR series while I was there. Never had before. Read the Hobbit back in the 70s but never LOTR. Great series. Even d/l'd the Simerilian to read next.

I think Sam would totally carry a GB! OTOH, I want Glamdring ;)

Ken

(by the way, it was Orcs.... Did it glow with Trolls?)
I'm not sure, lol! I vaguely recall that little hobbit sword glowing blue prior to that HUGE thing busting through. Was that a troll?

Regardless Sam was totally a GB carrier. :D
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Blerv wrote:I'm not sure, lol! I vaguely recall that little hobbit sword glowing blue prior to that HUGE thing busting through. Was that a troll?
Okay, got it.
They buried Thorin deep beneath the Mountain... Upon his tomb the Elvenking then laid Orcrist, the elvish sword that had been taken from Thorin in captivity. It is said in songs that it gleamed ever in the dark if foes approached, and the fortress of the dwarves could not be taken by surprise.
Same applied to Glamdring and String (Bilbo's/Frodo's sword)

But I think in the scene you're thinking of it was an Orc.

Ken

(we now return you to your regularly scheduled programming)
玉鋼
JNewell

Post by JNewell »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I think the ones on the regular(present) GB is around 62Rc. I really don't know if the first run was dialed in at around 64Rc. That's just talk around the forums which might or might not be based on facts. I think the only Spyderco steel at 64Rc now is ZDP.

Both Sal and Mr. Bradley posted shortly after the GB first hit the streets that they had separately tested these and gotten results in the 64-65Rc range.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

My GB was ordered within the day they were available at dealers, has solid liners, is stamped Taiwan, and has the Bradley logo.

It glows in the dark only when very sharp, and is in the presence of evil ;) :D I keep it very sharp :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]