2013 Spyderco Calendar Contest!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dapagco

2013 Spyderco Calendar Contest!

Post by dapagco »

Spyderco 2013 Calendar Contest!
The Contest

Enter the Third Annual 2013 Spyderco Forum Calendar Contest today! We are again making a 12-month wall calendar using images created by you, our forum members. A total of 13 images will be chosen - one image to represent every month and one grand prize ‘Best of the Best’ winner to be used as the calendar’s cover image.

Submit your extraordinary photographs, drawings, paintings, water colors, digital creations, you name it. If it can be printed, it’s fair game.

Check out last year’s thread for inspiration!

The Prizes:
The grand prize winner will receive a Spyderco Fluted Military Titanium C36TIF and have their photo featured on the cover of the calendar.

Artists who have their images chosen to represent a specific calendar month (a total of 12) will each receive a C101PBL2 Manix Translucent Blue PlainEdge knife.

Contest starts 0900MST June 1, 2012 and ends 0900MST August 1, 2012. Winners will be selected by Spyderco over a two week period and should be posted on the forum on August 15, 2012.

Please read all of the submission requirements before posting.

Submission Requirements:

1) Please include a 2-5 sentence (max) description of your image - why you chose the product(s) featured, the history of the image, etc.; something to give us a better understanding of your submission.

2) Image must include a Spyderco product(s) or logo. Any product Spyderco has ever made is fair game. Product can be in mint condition, used and abused, or radically modified. Your submission can be seasonal, retro, traditional, artistic, black and white, color, sepia, comedic or serious. Set your imagination loose, we want to see it all.

3) You must include the model name of the product(s) used in the image and your Forum name. Model name and Forum name do not necessarily need to be a part of the image, but it must be included with your submission. Please print them both out immediately after your image description so we can copy and paste everything together.

4) Only ONE image submission per person. You are permitted to modify your submission after posting. If you decide to modify your entry, you must fully delete your original submission and re-submit the new image before the contest deadline. Having multiple photo submissions at the end date of the contest will invalidate all of your submissions.

FORMATTING: (IMPORTANT) This is a little different than last year. The Spyderco 2013 Calendar will be printed in an 8 ½” by 11” landscape format. Only landscape formatted images will be considered and significant cropping/resizing may occur to winning images. Sorry, all portrait formatted images will be disqualified.

Final Printed Image Guidelines (ABSOLUTE MINIMUM – Images should be no smaller than this):
Width: 3450 px
Height: 2700 px
Resolution: 300
(This translates to 11.5” x 9” to account for a ¼ inch bleed)
Image must be available in high resolution at 300dpi at end of contest.

Image Preview (for posting on the forum)
Width: 960px;
Resolution: 72;

Submitting Your Image: In order to be considered, post your image to this thread. No links to other image hosts, please. It is not necessary or recommended that you post a 300dpi image to our Forums. Keeping up with web standards, a 72dpi image preview that does not exceed 960px in width for the forum will be just fine.

*You must keep the high resolution copy of your image saved locally until the winners have been announced in order to qualify. Once selected, winners will be contacted and asked to email Spyderco the hi-res image. We are unable to use the image posted to the forum for printing-quality reasons. If you cannot supply the image at the end of the contest, your winning submission will be forfeited.

Content Restrictions:
The submission must not contain any copyrighted material (unless you own the copyright); your submission must be entirely original and created by you. Images may not contain any kind of promotional material - this includes trademarks and logos for non Spyderco businesses, even those for your own personal endeavors. Only family friendly, G-rated and tasteful submissions will be considered. If it’s salacious, offensive or anything the Disney Channel would reject, so will we.

NOTE: If you upload an image that we feel might violate our content restrictions, we will do our best to contact you and let you know that your image might be disqualified prior to the end of the contest.

Eligibility:
The 2013 Spyderco Calendar Contest is open to everyone. If the artist is under the age of 13, the artwork must be submitted by their legal guardian. Prizes will be shipped only to adults over 18 or to those who provide written parental consent. Employees, relatives of employees of Spyderco, its partner companies and manufacturers are not eligible to enter or win. This contest is subject to all laws and void where prohibited.

Winning images become exclusive property of Spyderco Inc. By posting your photo in this thread, user grants unencumbered, free usage and printing use solely to Spyderco Inc.

Contest ends Wednesday August 1, 2012 (0900MST).

For full contest rules, please read Spyderco 2013 Calendar Contest Rules.

**Calendars will be available for purchase this autumn through the Spyderco Factory Outlet Store
BAL

Post by BAL »

Great. I love looking at all of the pictures. There are some very talented spytographers
out there. I always end up seeing a knife that I normally wouldn't have been interested
in, and then having to buy it.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

Here we go again, time to break out Photoshop.
Great prizes this year!
:bug-red-white
C.L.L 97

Post by C.L.L 97 »

Sweet! I've been waiting for this all year!
Caden's :spyder:'s-g10 dragonfly, digicamo para2,bug,honeybee,sharpmaker.
Newest :spyder: manix 2 lightweight.
:spyder: top wishlist: junior,D4,E4,,h1 D'fly salt,h1 ladybug salt,g10 manbug,caly3•3.5,all sprint para2's
Have to have= brad southard flipper, gayle bradley:spyder:

"combat knife is actually 10% weapon and 90% tool".~ Al Mar
rodloos

Post by rodloos »

I was hoping they would do a calendar contest again this year!

Now quick, hide this thread before anyone sees it, to reduce my competition! :D

Looks like a FANTASTIC prize for the grand prize winner!
Which Knife, A or B? get Both! (and C, D and E) :)
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Fantastic, I was curious about this. The resolution requirements seem quite strict. Does this mean my 6 MP camera can't do it? Then again I can increase image size without a great deal of degradation at those kinds of resolution.

In any case it will be great fun trying :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

This is the Native 5! It has been my EDC from day one with its great ergonomics, elegant design and all while being built like a tank. The photo was taken with a 50mm lens & the focal point is on the legendary "Golden Colorado U.S.A. Earth" engraving. I also had a fluorescent light in the background which gives it a cold and effective feeling. This thing is serious!

Forum Name: DedRok
Model: Spyderco Native 5 - C11FPOR

3450 X 2700 (300DPI) photo can be found here...
http://i540.photobucket.com/albums/gg34 ... b9b6df.jpg
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
nakahoshi

Post by nakahoshi »

I have been looking forward to this!

OK, I have checked all my resolutions and I should be good to go.

For Submission to the 2013 Spyderco Calendar Contest:

SN: Nakahoshi
Model: Delica 4 Orange Handle - C11FPOR
This is a picture I captured while out hiking during the fall. The bright orange handles of the Delica 4 really stood out against the gray gloomy backdrop which resulted in this high contrast image
:spyder: Good Luck to everyone!

-Bobby

Forum Preview (960x742 @ 72 dpi):
Attachments
Spyderco_Calander_2013_Nakahoshi_SMALL.JPEG
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Excitement! ...and 2 absolutely gorgeous pictures to start. This'll be tough.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Clip

Post by Clip »

This is gonna be a tuffy. Looking forward to it!
Click here to zoom: Under the Microscope

Manix2, Elmax MT13, M4 Manix2, ZDP Caly Jr, SB Caly3.5, Cruwear MT12, XHP MT16, South Fork, SB Caly3, 20CP Para2, Military Left Hand, Perrin PPT, Squeak, Manix 83mm, Swick3, Lil' Temperance, VG10 Jester, Dfly2 Salt, Tasman Salt

Chris
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Excellent! I have been looking forward to this! I shall see what I can come up with...hopefully something to beat my last year's entry.

Good luck to everyone that enters!
On the hunt for...
dbcad

using the specified resolution, but my pic still won't upload??

Post by dbcad »

I'm following the instructions to the letter, why can't I upload my submission :confused: The pic is at 72 pixels/inch and the width is 960 pixels???? Size is still 500KB.

Thks for your help :)
Charlie

chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

[ATTACH]20371[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Calendar Contest Entry Small.jpg
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

My entry. I really like orange G10 and XHP and the Paramilitary 2 platform. Pretty much a perfect carry knife for me.

I was experimenting a bit with low light and I got this result. I really like how the orange pops with the black background.
Attachments
Calendar Contest Entry Small.jpg
dbcad

2 beautiful Mules

Post by dbcad »

A beautiful damascened vg-10 MT07 Mule with handles of stabilized maple and mosaic pins. Above is it's sibling which due to an early mishap had the tip broken off. After I reground the tip it is my favorite and most friendly FB user. The Mule team project is truly inspired offering wonderfully ergonomic blanks made from less common materials. The low cost allows all to experience the higher end materials in a blade :D

Original saved at 4500 X 2700 @ 480dpi.
Attachments
2 mules1 play resize full small.jpg
Charlie

Toddles

Post by Toddles »

Being my personal favorite, the Paramilitary 2 by Spyderco always finds its way into my pocket. The size, weight, blade geometry, and finally ergonomics resonate with me more than anything else I've used. My pal, Goofy, and I were enjoying a coffee on the deck this bright and sunny morning and thought this would make a neat picture.

Forum Username: Toddles
Spyderco Model: Paramilitary 2 C81GPOR2.

Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Just trying to help, Chuck, but you have to say what it is and tell a couple of sentences about it's signifigance. :) Nice pic, I must say, though.

- best wishes, Jazz.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Jazz wrote:Just trying to help, Chuck, but you have to say what it is and tell a couple of sentences about it's signifigance. :) Nice pic, I must say, though.

- best wishes, Jazz.
Thanks jazz. I gotta go edit then.
wec12

Post by wec12 »

Final resolution is 300 dpi guys! 300 dpi!
█ Copycat :mad: █
█ A.K.A. Mr.Dissector █
█ "Think before You Cut" --- Sal Glesser. █
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

Not for the preview...
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.