Do collectors club numbers add value?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
panthervikefan

Do collectors club numbers add value?

Post by panthervikefan »

My Carbon Fiber Military in s30v has a collectors club number (037V). I was wondering if this adds any value and if I am allowed to ask, how much is this knife worth (LNIB) in unoriginal box( the model number on the box is C36GPSBK)

Thank You
Colby
rycen

Post by rycen »

Check eBay under completed auctions to get an idea of value. As for the collector number adding value in my opinion only a collection or large group may add value. Even then the amount would be nil.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

rycen wrote:Check eBay under completed auctions to get an idea of value. As for the collector number adding value in my opinion only a collection or large group may add value. Even then the amount would be nil.
I'm too anal retentive as I think I proved in another post. That collectors number is something I don't want to see. If was the collector who paid into the system I'd be ok with it but I don't want someone else's number or even worse a mix of peoples.
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...

Post by 1623 »

As a secondary buyer who is quite particular, I don't care for them at all. It detracts from the overall appeal, so much so that I've looked past a highly desired model that's on my list because it had a CC number.

From what I see on the forums (more so than Ebay) numbered Spydercos seem to sit longer before selling, if they even sell at all.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Typically no. I'm sure some will vehemently disagree.

Yay for a vague answer! Lol
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

1623 wrote:As a secondary buyer who is quite particular, I don't care for them at all. It detracts from the overall appeal...
Gotta agree with you on that. I feel that the numbers are kind of a meh addition to the knife, just kinda makes it look funny. That being said, If i were actually a member of the CC, I completely loveee the idea of having my own special little number.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It depends on the buyer. The market goes up and down so fast we can't predict what anyone is willing to pay for something. I don't particularly care for them, but I have one CC model and it doesn't really bother me on that model.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cckw

Post by cckw »

I don't like the collector club # on Spydercos or the xxx/1000 of the first production of Benchmade. The knives are designed without this, so the marking never looks right. If ity's just noe t ouse it doesn't matter, but for my collection I do not want it numbered
Orion's Belt

Post by Orion's Belt »

If I want the knife and the price is right, I'll buy it regardless of CC#. Otherwise, I'm luke warm on them.
-Ryan
bengaiser

Post by bengaiser »

I like the old etched collector / first production run numbers better than the current ones. They were pretty low key.
Knifewing

Post by Knifewing »

I'm kind of ambivalent about CC numbers. It may sound weird but it depends on whether or not I like the number.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

If I had an option of an unmarked blade, or a CC marked one, I would take the unmarked blade every time. A cc number might hold special significance to that particular individual and their collection but means nothing to me. A serial number, I can live with, but even then I would be picky about the number I got.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Whether or not a CC# adds to, detracts from, or has no impact on, the value of a Spyderco depends on the thinking of the purchaser. The negatives have been pretty well covered, so I'll just mention the positives. It can provide a greater degree of certainty the the knife is genuine since no numbered fakes have ever been reported. For a knife collector, it also can be considered a guarantee of certain things on a knife being offered as "NIB". First, that the knife is from an early, and normally the first, production run of that model and variant. Second, that the box is not only "appropriate" but is the actual box for that specific knife, since the boxes are also numbered. For both collectors and folks planning to use the knife, it can make proving ownership easier if the knife is ever stolen.

Of course on Sprints, and especially low volume Sprints like the CF/S30V Military where only 400 were made, avoiding CC numbered specimens reduces you chances of owning one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sir_mike

Post by sir_mike »

I dont think it would be worth more but I have seen some Spydies with numbers listed for quite abit more and I dont think they are worth it.
gbelleh

Post by gbelleh »

I avoid CC #s and only have a couple in my collection. To me, the number is like having someone else's initials engraved into the blade.
:bug-red-white
hiredgun

Post by hiredgun »

Generally I really dislike etching on my Spydies and I just received my Blue Tenacious and guess what, it has 102V on it. Dang! Since this will be a beater knife, I'm not going to bother with a return/swap. The only CC number I would allow is 007V. I wonder who that guy is/was?
You can't display a toad in a fine restaurant like this! Why, the good folks here would go right off the feed!
Owl45

Post by Owl45 »

The CC# in general does not add value, and as you have seen in the other comments may actually lessen the value.
Obviously it has no effect on a user, but will be more a factor for a collector...and collectors are funny folks and can be very picky about certain things.
At one time I avoided them (just personal taste), but now I am neutral about it. Sometimes its the only way to get a scarce sprint run.
Sequimite

Post by Sequimite »

Doesn't do anything for me but I have seen sellers who hype the CC# sometimes get a higher price.
Our reason is quite satisfied, in 999 cases out of every 1000 of us, if we can find a few arguments that will do to recite in case our credulity is criticized by someone else. Our faith is faith in someone else's faith, and in the greatest matters this is most the case.
- William James, from The Will to Believe, a guest lecture at Yale University in 1897
Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger »

I could take it or leave it.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

I don't care either way, but I do find that CC# knives on average get better prices on ebay.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...