I GOT PROMOTED! What's gonna be my reward knife??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Evil D

I GOT PROMOTED! What's gonna be my reward knife??

Post by Evil D »

Oh yes...been a long time coming (4 years) but i've finally gotten myself back to the level of pay i lost back in '08, with a little interest :D

So obviously there's gonna be a frivolous knife purchase coming up once this cash starts rolling in. Also in this position, i probably won't be using my knife nearly as much which is a little bit of a downer, but i've realised that EDC'ing a Military is probably not the best idea so i'm considering a Caly 3.5 or something along those lines. I'm really wishing i'd got in on the Super Blue craze. Then again, i also like to keep things as light as i can and i'll need to keep it as inconspicuous as i can, so a deep carry wire clip would be preferred but i know that limits my choices.

I've already owned a Sage 1, and while i'm not opposed to owning another one, i also like to get something new that i've never owned. I might look into a Sage 2 or 3..i'm seriously contemplating a Sage 3 with custom khaki colored scales...
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

Congrats on the promotion.

I love the Caly 3.5 SB as a work carry knife. It is a little big for my work place, but the dark patina on the blade helps minimize the big scary factor for me. It's a lot of blade in a small package. I am looking forward to the ZDP version.
FroOchie

Post by FroOchie »

Congrats man!
...I have no knives I keep in a safe but there are one or two that don't leave the house...
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Surely a SB or ZDP 3.5 would be a great addition but Sal has been entertaining the idea of a SB Stretch. Something to consider, perhaps?

For something more office friendly, there's the upcoming Air!

Congrats and enjoy whatever you choose.

Ken
玉鋼
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

David,

I say get on the pre-order bandwagon for the Caly 3.5 ZDP or maybe the Damascus Caly 3. Both of those options would have fairly light weight and deep carry clips.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Evil D wrote:Oh yes...been a long time coming (4 years) but i've finally gotten myself back to the level of pay i lost back in '08, with a little interest :D

So obviously there's gonna be a frivolous knife purchase coming up once this cash starts rolling in. Also in this position, i probably won't be using my knife nearly as much which is a little bit of a downer, but i've realised that EDC'ing a Military is probably not the best idea so i'm considering a Caly 3.5 or something along those lines. I'm really wishing i'd got in on the Super Blue craze. Then again, i also like to keep things as light as i can and i'll need to keep it as inconspicuous as i can, so a deep carry wire clip would be preferred but i know that limits my choices.

I've already owned a Sage 1, and while i'm not opposed to owning another one, i also like to get something new that i've never owned. I might look into a Sage 2 or 3..i'm seriously contemplating a Sage 3 with custom khaki colored scales...
I have the perfect knife for you.

ANY ONE YOU WANT

It's a new knife due to be released about the same day you get the increase. Funny how that works isn't it? :D

Jack
PS edit: Sorry man, I forgot to congratulate you. Congratulations. I was too excited to see what the new ANY ONE YOU WANT knife looks like. :D
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

Congrats. I just succumbed and preordered the new Titanium Chaparral. I love the materials, the look, and the lock. It has a wire clip, and at least some sources put the 2.5 oz, and it'll be light even if it doesn't actually come in at that.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

I was excited but now I'm down on earth (as ever anyway).

Sage4

Jack
Donut

Post by Donut »

I think you should get an Orange Dodo or pre-order the Carbon Fiber one.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
akaAK

Post by akaAK »

Congrats. My vote is a Superleaf with the wire clip switched out for a deeper carry version from the Caly 3. Compression lock and VG10. If you aren't cutting as much the edge retention with VG10 might be sufficient.

I recently celebrated a bonus with a call to Santa Fe Stoneworks to have a Delica 4 SS scaled with dinosaur bone. It is nice to establish landmarks in your collection of knives, except it makes it that much harder to part with them.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

Congrats on promotion.
Caly3.5 is the great knife. I carry mine since they came out and love it.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
enduraguy

Post by enduraguy »

How's about a Military sprint run? ;)
sbwings

Post by sbwings »

Congrats!
Sorry no experience with these, but some I'm interested in, and would fit an office setting:
Native 5 Titanium
Gale Bradley Air
Centofante Memory
Enjoy,
Bruce
A Whole Bunch of Spydies! :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm really leaning towards either a Caly 3.5, regardless of steel, or one of the Sages. I've wanted something with tan colored G10 for a while now and i think a Sage 3 with tan scales would be super nice. Then again, one of my favorite knives is my ZDP Caly 3 so this ZDP 3.5 sounds really nice...Hmmm..ETA?
~David
SolidState

Post by SolidState »

Congrats! I too wish I had jumped on that superblue. You can always do the 3.5 zdp, it's pure class!
"Nothing is so fatal to the progress of the human mind as to suppose that our views of science are ultimate; that there are no mysteries in nature; that our triumphs are complete, and that there are no new worlds to conquer."
Sir Humphry Davy
cubsfan1969

Post by cubsfan1969 »

Congrats Evil, I bet that's a big load off your shoulders!
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SolidState wrote:Congrats! I too wish I had jumped on that superblue.
One of my all time favorites. They pop up in reasonable shape at reasonable prices every now and again. There was one for $125 not too long ago. Looked mint.

Ken
玉鋼
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

cubsfan1969 wrote:Congrats Evil, I bet that's a big load off your shoulders!
It is...i've been scraping by making chump money for 4 years now, it'll be nice to have some breathing room again. Thanks for the congrats everyone :D

How would you guys compare SB to ZDP?
~David
tonydahose

Post by tonydahose »

first off, congrats!!! i say you should get some boost for the stang but that is just me :D . if you aren't going to do that here are my list of knife recommendations for the office:

des horn
CF dodo
any kopa
original viele
phoenix

that's all i have off of the top of my head. again congrats!!! :D
WTC #1444 Always Remember
Need info on a particular :spyder:, just click here
My knives
Spydie count: a few:D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

tonydahose wrote:first off, congrats!!! i say you should get some boost for the stang but that is just me :D . if you aren't going to do that here are my list of knife recommendations for the office:

des horn
CF dodo
any kopa
original viele
phoenix

that's all i have off of the top of my head. again congrats!!! :D
If anything the Stang will probably get a turbo kit. Right now it's getting new black interior.

I've thought about a nice Kopa or a CF Kiwi but i still prefer to have a clip, so maybe a Kopa...
~David