Another decent Torx tool

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
fredswartz

Another decent Torx tool

Post by fredswartz »

Used a Harbor Freight Torx T8 bit to reverse the clip on my Junior. It stripped the screw head out. Charlynn
sent me new clip screws and in the meantime I found a kobalt Torx tool at
Lowes in the precision tool section. It has 4 reversible bits that nest in the handle for a total of 8 bits. A ball detent locks the bits in place. As the clerk told me "kobalt is a better grade of Chinese and all Kobalt tools have a lifetime warranty). It worked great and the Junior is back in service.
Sht

Post by Sht »

In my limited experience all kobalt tools suck. I'm not saying the bits are bad but something will break sooner rather then later. You want a warranty get some craftsmen tools from sears. But the flip side would be buy real Torx bits.
Gayle Bradley
Bob lum tanto sprint
Milie camo
Para2 camo
Manix2 moonglow
Tasman salt
Tenacious (the whole lineup)
Kiwi SS

Knives at all times
fredswartz

Re: Kobalt tools

Post by fredswartz »

I have Proto, Craftsman, Starrett and Klein tools. The Kobalt Torx tool filled a need with no hassel and on short notice. I have no other Kobalt tools so I have no opinion on them and probably won't buy any more of them as I have a lifetime supply of most hand tools. Appreciate the input.

Jerry
jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

My opinion is all these tiny drivers will wear out more or less the same. Like non-stick pans, you can spend 4x the price and it'll maybe last 20% longer, so just buy cheap ones and replace as needed.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

I couldn't be happier with my Kobalt Metric ratchet set. The sockets and the ratchet work great! Just as good as my craftsman stuff. Plus they have a lifetime warranty anyway.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
fredswartz

Post by fredswartz »

The lesson that I have learned is not
to use excessive torque on T6 and T8 Torx
screws no matter the quality of the bit.
Excessive force will kill the 6 tiny splines
in the screw heads compared to Allen head
screws. Snug tightening has worked well
for me.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

BM works well and doesn't give you the urge to over torque (since the box handle).
Toddles

Post by Toddles »

I'm a fan of Wiha torx sets.
Dynamic Programming: It's not fun.
Ragman24

Post by Ragman24 »

Man,I wish I would've seen this thread a few days ago before ordering the BM torque set.Oh well,Ill give it a shot.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Anonymous wrote:I've heard nothing but praise for that brand.
Yep wiha are the goods, all my drivers are wiha bar a few koken blade though drivers for rough work, and some speciality terminal drivers. The soft grip handles are really nice, mine are pretty worn now but still very grippy.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I have heard good things about wiha tools but have not purchased any to try out yet. Might have to start with some torx drivers.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
MarcusH

Post by MarcusH »

I have this one and it's excellent:
http://www.boker.de/us/other/09BO700.html
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and beautiful knives. The rest I just squandered."
Slightly modified, R.I.P. George Best.
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

SpydieFan wrote:I couldn't be happier with my Kobalt Metric ratchet set. The sockets and the ratchet work great! Just as good as my craftsman stuff. Plus they have a lifetime warranty anyway.
Not to create too much of a thread derailment but I'm with you, brother. I have the Standard and Metric open/box end wrench sets as well as the large Socket set and all three are, IMO, top notch. I've had them 10+ years and no issues what so ever. I have no idea if the quality is the same today, but the Kobalt tools I own are great.

Back on topic, I have three of the "looks like a screw driver, 4 double end bits fit in the hand (one of them holds three in the handle, one stays in the "ready" position) tools. Three different brands, all from HD or Lowes. All seem to be of about the same quality and none have failed in 7-10 years of use. But then, I use them pretty gently....

Ken
玉鋼
BAL

Post by BAL »

I will agree on the Lowes Kobalt screw driver looking torx set with 3 in the handle and
one in the chamber. There is a regular set as well. I have numerous little tool sets and
I usually reach for the Kobalt ones first.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

fredswartz wrote:Used a Harbor Freight Torx T8 bit to reverse the clip on my Junior. It stripped the screw head out. Charlynn
sent me new clip screws and in the meantime I found a kobalt Torx tool at
Lowes in the precision tool section. It has 4 reversible bits that nest in the handle for a total of 8 bits. A ball detent locks the bits in place. As the clerk told me "kobalt is a better grade of Chinese and all Kobalt tools have a lifetime warranty). It worked great and the Junior is back in service.
I have that set and agree. It's small, inexpensive and appears to be good quality. Not only have the bits not been damaged they haven't caused damage because they fit tight.

Jack
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I tried using the inexpensive Chinese drivers for a long time - and still keep them around for non-critical work. But I discovered Wiha years ago and trust my precision work to them. They are an order of magnitude better.

TedP