So what about the Natiive 5?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
waterford

So what about the Natiive 5?

Post by waterford »

The Sage series, particularly the Sage 1 and Sage 2, have a VERY loyal
following and seems like many folks feel its the BEST production EDC
available today.

But what about the Native 5? I am a bit surprised it does not get the same
high praise as the Sage series. The Native 5 seems VERY close to the
looks of the Sage 1, with a bit of a different blade style and handles.

What is the general consensus on the fit, feel and quality of the Native 5? Which knife, Sage or Native, had the better edge retention and is
the sharpest out of the box?

The reason I ask is I am trying to decide between these two as my first Spyderco purchase.
dalefuller

Post by dalefuller »

The N5 is my favorite EDC Spyderco. It's the only knife I have a backup for. I've found it to be everything I need in an EDC blade. It's a very efficient cutter, very easy to maintain the edge and keep the body clean without having to take it apart, and it's been plenty tough for my EDC needs. As far as a comparison between the two models, I haven't noticed any performance difference between my Sage 1 and my N5. I prefer the N5 because it's a slightly smaller package in my pocket and I really like backlocks.

The N5 doesn't have any really fancy materials in it's construction and there's no gimmick like the Sages and Chaparrals have to keep people buying them, so that might be part of why you aren't hearing a lot about them. It's just black G10 and SS in a very well designed and executed package... classic Spyderco before they got into the fancy stuff and collabs.
Regards,
Dale

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
~ Will Rogers, 1879-1935
waterford

Post by waterford »

Well thanks, I probably will end up owning both of them anyway.
Fancier

Post by Fancier »

It might make a difference to you so I'll note that the Native 5 is made in Golden and the Sages are made in Taiwan. I own Spydies made in both locations and don't have a problem with foreign production or in the quality of the "outsourced" knives, but then again I've never had my job moved overseas.
Many companies sell "gimmick" knives which are generally of poor quality. I'm happy to say that when Spyderco does a series of theme knives they still remember to get them right. I was very tempted by the Sage 2 but never quite picked one up.
I don't own a Sage because I already own plenty of S30V knives. The S35VN in the Native is a close relative of S30V but I didn't own any S35VN at the time that I bought the Native 5. I consider the Native 5 to be an extremely well designed and built knife, and is easily the smoothest and crispest backlock knife I own.
The consensus is that S30V and S35VN are equivalent in edge retention as heat treated by Spyderco. S35VN may be a bit "tougher" but I'm not going to abuse a full flat ground folder to find out. As far as sharpness is concerned any Spyderco knife will be pretty sharp out of the box. That said I've never bought a knife that I didn't feel the need to sharpen within the first few days of ownership but I am kind of compulsive.
waterford

Post by waterford »

Thanks, Fancier...great response!
PatCatMan

Post by PatCatMan »

I have the Sage 1 & 2 and also the N5.
I wasn't going to buy the Sage because of the Taiwan factor - glad I changed my mind - or should I say, glad others convinced me to change my mind :D .
The N5 is rock solid and super strong - if you like the lock-back, a little weight doesn't bother you, you wear jeans everyday - this is the knife for you. I love it - but it just wasn't the EDC I was looking for. I wear dress slacks almost everyday and the weight was a bit much and the G10 a little aggressive.
Sage 1 & 2 - I have found no negatives at all in regards to my needs for an EDC.
Just my thoughts.
Enjoy the search for your ideal - I really think I found mine.
Pat
"You miss 100% of the shots you never take"
rnbtexas

Post by rnbtexas »

Funny I'm having the same internal struggle, I think I'm leaning to the N5.
The Student

Post by The Student »

I don't own any in the sage line so I can't really compare them, but I love my Native it was one of the only knives I knew I had to have before I got to handle it. I like the S35VN I am able to get it stupid sharp, unlike other steels, it takes an edge quickly and holds a useable edge for a good while, not to mention it takes a nice polish. Overall it's a very solid knife and it is one of my favorite to do some carving. I do wish it wasn't a lockback but I think I may be in the minority with that.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I have found it to be an excellent knife for edc and use it as a work knife in rotation.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome Fancier :) Enjoy the forum.....
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
waterford

Post by waterford »

I decided to go for the Sage 1, as my first EDC, but im sure this addiction will bring me some more!
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

It's true that, when you look at them, the differences are slight. However, slight differences in appearance can make big differences in how a knife fits your hand, and thus in ease of use. Neither design is "better", each will work better for some user, worse for others, and about the same for still others. I own and occasionally carry both. The fully accessible Spyderhole and slight thumb ramp make the Sage 4 a better choice for me, but I'm sure there are those who find the Native 5 superior for reasons of their own.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
sharpguitarist

Post by sharpguitarist »

Hey waterford,
I don't have any sage's, so i can't comment on any of them, but the native is a great knife.
I never really liked the design before because of the large swedge, which is what a lot of people miss on the 5.
I just like the smaller swedge and ffg blade better.
It's one solid and sturdy knife, partly because of the ss backspacer, which gives it some heft.
Fit and finish is great, and it opens and closes easily.
I'd say you couldn't go wrong with either knife.
Later,
Don
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion, even if it is wrong.:rolleyes:
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

The Student wrote:I don't own any in the sage line so I can't really compare them, but I love my Native it was one of the only knives I knew I had to have before I got to handle it. I like the S35VN I am able to get it stupid sharp, unlike other steels, it takes an edge quickly and holds a useable edge for a good while, not to mention it takes a nice polish. Overall it's a very solid knife and it is one of my favorite to do some carving. I do wish it wasn't a lockback but I think I may be in the minority with that.
You and me both. :D
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

If it wasn't a lockback it would be hard pressed to be a Native. With the Manix2, Para2 and Military offering different locks I think having a quality lockback in the Golden lineup is necessary.
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I love Native5. IMHO this is great design and the knife build excellent. Feels very solid in the hand. It is my favorite Golden made knife. I will be very happy to see Native5 sprints with different steels and handle materials. I am not Sage fan. I used to have the first and sold it. I do not like half-hump on the blade. I like hump, like UKPK or no hump like Native. Also I prefer US made knives.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Wolverine666

Post by Wolverine666 »

I am a big fan of the Native5. For me , it's a good size for EDC. Especially when I want to be a little less conspicuous. The only thing about it that I am not crazy about is the drastic taper of the blade. I like my blades to have just a bit more thickness and heft. I realize this would affect the weight but that is not an issue for me.

All that being said , I would absolutely choose the Sage4 over the Native5 (and over the Sage1,2 and 3). The Sage4 is (IMO) on a completely different level. The Sage4 is one of the best looking knives I have ever laid eyes on and the build quality is superb. It is a beefy knife with a real solid feel without being too big. It is currently my favorite Spyderco. The Sage4 is more expensive. But it's more than worth it.

These are just my opinions here. And , as you may have been told before , you really can't go wrong with either one.
Beanie-Bean

Post by Beanie-Bean »

I like the Native5 a lot. Had some trouble with the screws for the clip coming loose, and I could never find the right screw from one of the dozens of other Spyderco blades in my collection that worked. Put in an e-mail and a call to Customer Service, and was informed that the screws are all different--which is why I couldn't use screws from one of my other blades on the Native5.

It's back at the mothership now for repairs, and I hope to have it back in service soon. I'll hit the screws with some loc-tite blue when it gets back home.

The S35V steel is excellent to work with, by the way.
Spyderbitten in 2011 and haven't been the same since.
DedRok

Post by DedRok »

I really like the Sage 1... my best Spyderco in my opinion.
Spyderco please make a wire clip version of the Manbug/Ladybug!
willydigger

Post by willydigger »

I owned the Sage 1 for a bit while searching for my perfect EDC. The size was good, the lock is my favorite, and the S30V is great. I'm not of fan of the fat blade and I don't like CF. Hate it actually. It went back and I eventually convinced myself to get the N5.

I've said it over and over so how about one more time. I hate lock backs. Other than the lock the N5 is IMO perfect. Perfect EDC size, beautiful blade shape, G10, FFG, no goofy swedge, made in USA.

Unfortunately I couldn't get past the lock back. It sits in a drawer. :(

I carry my Cat currently. Still not 100% satisfied, but one day Spyderco will find a way to please all of us. My dream would be a Native line that changes locks like the Sage series.
Swick3 • Blue Lava • Orange Dodo • Persistence • Techno
No Longer Own - Dragonfly 2 G10 • Sage 1 • PM2 • Cat S30V G10 Custom • Orange FRN Dragonfly • Native 5 G10• Foliage Smallfly