Dragonfly thoughts...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SpydieFan

Dragonfly thoughts...

Post by SpydieFan »

Is it possible to switch the serrated blade from the H1 Salt D-Fly to a plain edge G-10 D-Fly and have a good functioning knfie?

Thanks
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Isn't the H1 Dfly pinned?
Buckles

Post by Buckles »

nope its torx screws
8 :spyder:'s and counting
AtlanticSalt, Endura, Endura4 FFG, "Custom" Native, Delica4, Bug, Honeybee,Grasshopper, Poliwog, TasmanSalt, Forager
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Buckles wrote:nope its torx screws
You're right, it is.

So yes, you probably could. Just make sure you swap the lockbar with the blade.

I'm considering my own D'fly swap, except mine is going to be ZDP-189 into G10. :D
bh49

Post by bh49 »

You can try, not sure if this will work. I read a while ago that all mid-lock are hand fitted. But I saw some switched done.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Donut

Post by Donut »

I remember seeing a thread where someone swapped a ZDP blade into a G-10 Dragonfly, they noticed that the lock bars are different sized. You won't be able to swap the lockbars and it won't be a guaranteed swap, but I think it is worth a try.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Donut wrote:I remember seeing a thread where someone swapped a ZDP blade into a G-10 Dragonfly, they noticed that the lock bars are different sized. You won't be able to swap the lockbars and it won't be a guaranteed swap, but I think it is worth a try.
If I recall correctly, each and every lockbar/blade combo is hand fitted and is a tight match.

On a knife like the Dragonfly, I really enjoy the FRN. I can't imagine G-10 improving it, but to each their own. :-)
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
SpydieFan

Post by SpydieFan »

I've never liked the feel of FRN. I realize it is quite strong, but it just doesn't feel right, especially with no liners, that's why I was considering the swap. Also because most say H1 is the best to have with serrations.

Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
:spyder:|Spyderco Bug|Spyderco Kiwi3|Spyderco H1 Salt|Spyderco Para Military 2 Black Blade DigiCam + STR Pocket Clip| :spyder:

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

bh49 wrote:You can try, not sure if this will work. I read a while ago that all mid-lock are hand fitted. But I saw some switched done.
I've done multiple swaps on Delicas and Enduras, never had a problem. I mean, it's a royal pain in the butt, but it gets easier every time you do it.

My new D'fly just came, so maybe we'll see sometime soon.