The Spa Treatment. How Does That Work?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rwb1500

The Spa Treatment. How Does That Work?

Post by Rwb1500 »

I've heard you guys talk about it a hundred times, but never actually considered it until now. I buy a lot of used :spyder: s, it saves me cash and lets me try more knives faster. :D

Usually I can clean up just about anything I get, but I got a Paramilitary this week that could use a good once over. I thought about taking it apart and going to town on it myself, but then I thought "Hey, maybe Spyderco will do this for me, and I won't void the warranty." So I set it aside and figured I'd ask you gents.

The knife doesn't really need a sharpening, it needs disassembled and scrubbed clean. It's been loved for a long time. It's in good mechanical shape, but it's starting to get to the point where if it doesn't get some attention it's going to become a problem.

So will the magical folk in Golden freshen up an old Paramilitary? And if so how do I go about that?

Thanks all.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I don't know if this link works but it's under the warranty section of the Spyderco.com website and outlines services better than I could dream:

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Blerv wrote:I don't know if this link works but it's under the warranty section of the Spyderco.com website and outlines services better than I could dream:

http://www.spyderco.com/edge-u-cation/index.php?item=10
Hmm... Thanks for the link. None of it really applies to my situation unfortunately. All it really needs is a very thorough cleaning, but it seems like it's to the point where it needs to be disassembled to get it done.

Post by 1623 »

PM sent Rwb.
-Jodi

It's not just in my head, it's in my heart.
Donut

Post by Donut »

The Para is an open frame construction knife. I can't imagine what you would need to clean that you can't reach while the knife is still together.

A little bit of oil, a little bit of cleaning, and it should be good as new.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would contact W&R. You aren't going to find a custom quote for a specific knife here.

Is it rusted or dirty? Why the disassembly?
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

Blerv wrote:I would contact W&R. You aren't going to find a custom quote for a specific knife here.

Is it rusted or dirty? Why the disassembly?
From what I can tell there is gunk of some sort encrusted to the inner workings of the knife, the pivot, the lock, the blade tang, where the blade engages the lock, etc. This build up of crud didn't even shrug at me scrubbing away with a toothbrush for 20 minutes. It's caked in there.

You know how when you flick open a Paramilitary it "snicks" into lock up? This one limps and thuds into lock up. If I were to open the knife up and clean it out myself I assume I could get it back to near prefect working condition asap. But if the :spyder: crew would take a crack at it I'd be more than happy.
connor

Post by connor »

Rwb1500 wrote:From what I can tell there is gunk of some sort encrusted to the inner workings of the knife, the pivot, the lock, the blade tang, where the blade engages the lock, etc. This build up of crud didn't even shrug at me scrubbing away with a toothbrush for 20 minutes. It's caked in there.
Try blasting it with a can of WD40. This will usually loosen about anything.
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'
Rwb1500

Post by Rwb1500 »

connor wrote:Try blasting it with a can of WD40. This will usually loosen about anything.
Tried that, liberal soaking, let it sit overnight than blasted it with the air compressor, helped a little, but not much.
connor

Post by connor »

Rwb1500 wrote:Tried that, liberal soaking, let it sit overnight than blasted it with the air compressor, helped a little, but not much.
In this case I would suggest taking it apart and soaking the metal parts only in something more aggressive (paint stripper or the like).
'I ought never to act except in such a way that I can also will that my maxim should become a universal law.'
A.P.F.

Post by A.P.F. »

I have found that most organic 'crud' is readily dissolved by lighter fluid and brushing. Lighter fluid will also de-grease the pivot bearing and flush out any particulate matter. I usually follow this up with a good wash in hot soapy (dish detergent) water and a rinse under hot water, all the while opening and closing the knife. Dry under a hair dryer and re-lube.
Regards, Al

The "soul" of hi-tech materials like G-10, H1, ZDP, Titanium, carbon fiber, etc is found in the performance. That appreciation of the "spirit" comes out in time, after use. It's saying, you can depend on me! I'm there for you no matter what! - Sal Glesser
Slash

Post by Slash »

Some of you are missing the op?
How to clean the knife wasn't it. Will Spyderco do it for you is.
I would say send them your knife along with one money order for $5 and another for $20 and you'll find out when they send you back the knife. They might even send it back to you with the $20 mo as well.
I would also include a note with what you would like to be done to the knife as well.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

From what I've read Spyderco will make the knife close to new again. Agree with Slash's suggestion :)

Report back with pics if you can :)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]