Spyderco for a co-worker?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alchemy1

Spyderco for a co-worker?

Post by Alchemy1 »

Hey guys,

I have a co-worker that has become interested in knives since seeing mine. Since he is new to knives, a pastor, and a family man; I was hoping to get him something at or around $50 that is classier and won't scare sheeple...just in case he has a need to use it in front of church members or his wife/kids.

I was thinking of a green Tenacious. My main question is, is Knife Works the only place that engraves knives? I would like to get the knife engraved/etched with his name.
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

What defines "classier" for you. I consider my tenacious the beater it sees use all day. For a gents knife or people friendly I use my centofante 3. Just my thoughts what would I know I've been rocking a Tasman lately for edc. Tasman gets most comments lol yellow too.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Not sure on engraving.

Are you picking the Tenacious because he was admiring yours? If it was me I would probably go with something like a Cat G10, Dragonfly Salt or a Delica in a fun color just to be on the more conservative side.
BadFish

Post by BadFish »

What materials are you looking at? Frn g10? What kind of lock?
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Alchemy1 wrote:Hey guys,

I have a co-worker that has become interested in knives since seeing mine. Since he is new to knives, a pastor, and a family man; I was hoping to get him something at or around $50 that is classier and won't scare sheeple...just in case he has a need to use it in front of church members or his wife/kids.

I was thinking of a green Tenacious. My main question is, is Knife Works the only place that engraves knives? I would like to get the knife engraved/etched with his name.
Get him a Dragonfly. NO ZDP! Sharpening issues. Or if you can increase the $ just a bit the G-10 Manbug is the PERFECT knife. Please don't get him anything from the value group. Not to say anything bad about them. I've used them, my son loves the one he has. But, to give a "value" anything as a gift is a little "not so good". The FRN Manbug is also an option for about $35 I think. I have both and if anyone got me a FRN Manbug I've appreciate it very much. It is a very solid and dependable knife. Shouldn't scare anybody.

Good luck with this. Getting a gift is harder than buying for yourself somethimes.

Jack
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

What immediately came to mind is the Urban leaf. Too expensive and disco'd.

Maybe a Dragonfly SS? or even a Squeak? D'Fly SS would be perfect for engraving :) See what a local jewelry store would charge for engraving?
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Concerning what I said about the value knives and the "not to good" comment. I thought about that and didn't mean to insult you, your friend or Spyderco. If I did do that I apologize.

Jack
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

jackknifeh wrote:Concerning what I said about the value knives and the "not to good" comment. I thought about that and didn't mean to insult you, your friend or Spyderco. If I did do that I apologize.

Jack
The Value knives are good for what they are and meant to be, value knives that are terrific for getting a job done, but might be a bit lacking in some of the finer points of F&F as well as class of material if you're talking to a knife nut :o . If a bit classier gift is in order I would suggest staying away from the China options as well. I've experienced a few and while great for the price they don't seem to feel as nice as other more mainstream Spyderco models made elsewhere.
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
O,just,O

Post by O,just,O »

Cento 3 & everybody will be happy :)
O.
Alchemy1

Post by Alchemy1 »

I just don't want to get him something "tactical" or that will be "scary" looking to the average Joe/Jane. This will be his first knife EVER (yes, he is a grown man...older than me, even). Thanks for the suggestions...keep them coming.

I was not offended by anything said here. This is just a gift I am getting just to be kind and because I like knives (and guns for that matter) so much I just can't let someone who is interested not have one...LOL There is nothing that can be said that I will take offense to.

He was admiring my Ranger Green DigiCamo Dual Gunner Grip Strider SnG today, but he seems to like any knife I carry. Everything from a PM2, to a ZT 0561, Lionspy, or my Striders. I think I have just sparked his interest in knives and he just needs something to start out with. I like the guy and all, but no way in the world am I spending hundreds on a knife for him or giving him one of my expensive knives...LOL
:spyder:Sage 1, Gayle Bradley, Camo Para 2, All black Para 2, "Smurf" Para 2, Orange Para2, Lionspy:spyder:

Green Para 2 on pre order
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I think a Delica is pretty much the quintessential Spyderco folder. Some would prefer it a tad longer but it's legal almost everywhere and slices like a demon.
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

I concur with Jack - the DragonFly 2 is the way to go. Small, lightweight, and non-threatening - while being eminently useful. Mine gets more pocket time that any other Spydie.

TedP
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

jackknifeh wrote:Get him a Dragonfly.
I'll second that. Another idea would be the SS Cricket. You can readily purchase one for about $50 to $60 bucks, it is small and "sheeple" friendly, and you could always have one/both sides of the SS scales engraved or personalized. The Cricket also makes a killer money clip. Good luck!
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
jhyde7585

Post by jhyde7585 »

Blerv wrote:I think a Delica is pretty much the quintessential Spyderco folder. Some would prefer it a tad longer but it's legal almost everywhere and slices like a demon.
I would tend to agree with this. Its a good starter, and with the available colors, it seems to be much more people friendly. Get him a blue or a green maybe?
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

Blerv wrote:I think a Delica is pretty much the quintessential Spyderco folder. Some would prefer it a tad longer but it's legal almost everywhere and slices like a demon.
This would be the perfect intro knife to spyderco. Great mid-size knife, wonderful ergonomics for almost anyone, if you look around you can find a ffg in your price point, all sorts of wonderful colors to choose from.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
WxGuyGrant

Post by WxGuyGrant »

Delica was my introduction to Spyderco, a SS Delica 3 and nearly every day since, there is a Delica in my pocket, currently my Waved Delica 4. For an introductory knife, I think the Delica is a perfect option.

In short...what Blerv said.
BDNX

Post by BDNX »

I'd say get him a Squeak...

Its got good steel...ergonomic for such a small light knife...its not scary in the least....and I think you can get it for just under $50 if I recall correctly. Its become one of my favorite knives period.....I think it would make a perfect gift...
My Spydies: Sharpmaker • Tasman Salt • Saver Salt • Ladybug Hawkbill Salt • Salt 1 • Blue/Gray Meerkat • Burgundy Meerkat • Manix2 Ltwt Translucent Blue • Manix2 Ltwt Blacked Out • Manix2 Backlock • Ladybug 1 Red • Blue UKPK • Tusk • Blue Lava • Dog Tag • Bug • Honeybee • Grasshopper • Stepped Ti Chaparral • McBee • AEB-L Urban
clodus

Post by clodus »

My opinion is that EDC and sheeple friendly knives should be below 3"

I go for a persistence and you only spend USD30, built like a tank and very good in value. And if your friend gets bitten, let him do his collecting on the more expensive knives. There are a few people in the forum who got bitten by the Tenacious as their first Spyderco knife.

Shall USD 30 will make you feel cheap. I go for the the salt dragonfly, or salt 1 in SE. Maintenance free for non-knife people, almost VG-10 performance on the SE, and yellow is people friendly. Typical all around knife in any situation.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

Id say centofante, des horn, sage 1/4 or chaparral if you can stretch a budget
DRH

Post by DRH »

I buy many Spydercos to keep as gifts for friends .... just to be nice! Favorites that fit any situation (and which I personally use regularly ... as in I always have one of them on me any any given time) are:
Cat
Dragonfly 2
Squeak

Of the three, I have to say that I favor the Squeak. Slip joint, non-threatening, holds well in hand, easy to touch-up with a strop. I tend to gift Squeaks more than the Cat or Dragonfly. I give them out with a small (like 4 inch) double sided strop (which I make from half inch pine with 3" wide belt leather). I load one side with green chromium oxide compound. The other side I leave plain. I show them how to strop the blade to keep it sharp and they are good to go. It will never need sharpening unless they do something to damage the edge.
-------------------------
My Knife Collection
(Updated 6/16/2016)

Dennis in PA