A Stretch heavyweight would be a VERY nice knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jackknifeh

A Stretch heavyweight would be a VERY nice knife

Post by jackknifeh »

Of course the title is just my opinion. I had a blue Stretch. I really did love that knife if you listed all of it's attributes on a piece of paper. It also felt great in my hand. I carried it a lot when it was new. So why didn't I carry/use it more after the new had worn off?

My personal desire for a knife the size of the Stretch is to be more robust. Picture the Gayle Bradley with thinner liners. It would not be the knife it is now in my opinion. I've never held the Manix2 lightweight blue knife. I do like the fact that the Manix2 was built as and is considered to be a hard use knife. The lightweight model made it more desireable to carry when the weight of the other models was too heavy. You still had all the other attributes which I don't need to mention.

I think a beefed up Stretch makes sense. Then a lightweight and heavyweight Stretch could be available (like the Manix2). CPM-S30V would be a great steel to choose if possible. VG-10 would be fine but I'd rather a knife like that stay away from ZDP-189. Again, my personal opinion of blade steels I prefer. Any handle material would be ok with me. In fact I'd love it in the FRN with the pattern that the FRN Manbug has. I don't know, is that the only pattern FRN comes with?

Of course the bolstered Stretch The Deacon has comes to mind. Make it feel as solid as the Sage 4 and I think I might even buy one. :) I mention the Sage 4 because of the same wood/bolster design The Deacon's knife has.

Anyway, something I was thinking of and would also be interested in. Does anyone else have opinions? I DO NOT want to replace the existing Stretches, just add another Stretch choice.

Jack
dgulbra

Post by dgulbra »

The Stretch is one of mt favorite knives and I love that it is such a lightweight slicing machine with great ergos. The only way it could be improved is by slapping on some G10 with an improved steel. Navy G10 and Super Blue maybe?
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I love my ZDP stretch, but the new (old) stretch SS with the inserts has a great solid heft to it that truly inspires confidence. I would like a heavy-weight version. I think this is the only platform that can permanently replace the Delica in my FL pocket EDC.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I'd personally like to see a thinner one, maybe 2.5mm. Southard reground mine and it's a dream.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I'd say the GB is a heavyweight stretch. Blade shape and handle shape are similar enough, and even with a thicker tip on the GB. Even the feel of the choil is similar. IMHO, anyway.

jzmtl

Post by jzmtl »

Now that you mentioned it, the handle of GB does look like Stretch exchanged a six pack for a keg, and perhaps t-shirt and jeans for tuxedo.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

jzmtl wrote:Now that you mentioned it, the handle of GB does look like Stretch exchanged a six pack for a keg, and perhaps t-shirt and jeans for tuxedo.
Very picturesque. :D
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd love to see the bolstered version go into production, and would definitely buy one or more if it did. I'd also jump for joy if Spyderco put out a true lightweight version, with a 2mm blade. OTOH, a Stretch that was "bulked up" with thicker liners and a saber ground blade like the Bradley's would be of no interest to me although I'm sure there would be those who'd love it. As for steel, the chances of seeing any US steel on a model made in Japan are, at best, low.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

The Deacon wrote:I'd love to see the bolstered version go into production, and would definitely buy one or more if it did. I'd also jump for joy if Spyderco put out a true lightweight version, with a 2mm blade. OTOH, a Stretch that was "bulked up" with thicker liners and a saber ground blade like the Bradley's would be of no interest to me although I'm sure there would be those who'd love it. As for steel, the chances of seeing any US steel on a model made in Japan are, at best, low.
I'm with you there Deacon. An even thinner blade stock slicer stretch would be something awesome to cut with but bolsters I can dispense with. For me, a thicker stretch and I might as well take a GB with that CPM-M4.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

I got a CF ZDP-189 Stretch yesterday. Seen two previous owners. Did some cutting with it and initial edge of 20degrees per side. Did not work for me. Knocked a relief edge on her at 10degrees per side retained a micro bevel of 20degrees per side. This increased cutting performance significantly, less force when cutting and less hand fatigue.

If you want a bulked up Stretch the option is the CF one IMO. Though not your prefered choice of steel.

I like a knife with heft, I agree on that, though I do feel it gives one a false sense of convidence sometimes.

Would a heavier knife be true to the knife's design as a hunting/dressing game knife?
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:I'd say the GB is a heavyweight stretch. Blade shape and handle shape are similar enough, and even with a thicker tip on the GB. Even the feel of the choil is similar. IMHO, anyway.
I agree with Chuck that the Bradley is kind a Stretch on steroids. Changing little things in a design can lead to a completely different feel and personality.

I'm not a bolster fan, not that I dislike bolsters, they probably can add to strength and the aesthetics. IMHO they're not worth the added cost.

I'm good with the Bradley as a beefed up stretch as far as function.

Now a 2mm thick stretch will turn my head ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

I'd like a stretch in something other than frn even though I love the feel of the blue stretch. Its my only FRN folder . I don't buy from ebay or the forums so a sprint or production model would be nice . Leave the blade shape the same with a back lock and I would want one. I keep eye balling the discontinued black VG-10 combo edge just hate settling. I could make it a full Spyderedge and finally start EDCing a Spyderco.

The Gayle Bradley isn't close enough for me . If it were I would have one. Who knows I may go knife shopping today. Like yesterday and the day before. I hate you Spyderco! J/K Luckily I have great experience at being broke.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The concept of the stretch is as a lightweight, ergonomic high performance matter separator. Adding weight goes against the philosophy of the knife in my opinion. It would make it an un stretch. Nice knife perhaps, but it wouldn't be a stretch as Sal originally intended it, in my opinion once again.

No, I'm not trying to speak for Sal.I don't have the knowledge or inside information that makes that kind of thing possible. This is just my view through my eyes.

I always recall that one of Sal's mentors was a designer of Lotus sports and racing cars I believe. Make the design strong enough , but no extra weight.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

2mm blade ;) :eek: :D
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Is there a thread on the Stretch explaining how it was conceived? All I have seen is bits and pieces on different threads.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

KardinalSyn wrote:Is there a thread on the Stretch explaining how it was conceived? All I have seen is bits and pieces on different threads.
The C90 Stretch started as a pet-project lockback knife design. Spyderco's owner and chief designer made it for his personal use, incorporating features he wanted. He wanted high performance blade steel with edge retention super-powers for outdoor cutting: things like wood, rope and anything encountered in the wild. It had to work equally well indoors on cardboard, mail and fingernails. He sized it so it wouldn't scare non'knife people and made it look slick on the off chance he'd someday have to wear a suit.

What started as a small basic Hunter model in the 1980s matured/stretched into an elegant high performance drop point folder available in a variety of handle materials and blade steels. The latest is a lightweight model with a black FRN (fiberglass reinforced nylon) handle.
"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive"
"the perfect knife is the one in your hand, you should just learn how to use it."
If you don't have anything good to say, then don't say anything at all

My Youtube knife use videos and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/mwvanwyk/videos
Knife makers directory: http://www.knifemakersdirectory.com/
sal

Post by sal »

The Mastiff wrote: I always recall that one of Sal's mentors was a designer of Lotus sports and racing cars I believe. Make the design strong enough , but no extra weight. Joe
Colin Chapman, Lotus Cars. "Simplicate and add lightness".

Hi Kardinalsyn,

We needed a model between the Endura and Delica in blade length. We selected 3.5" as it conforms with many of the new laws on blade length (as in Denver). We also wanted a knife that would also serve the ourdoors-person as a hunter. Since the Endura and Delica had no finger choil, and a finger choil adds some control aspect, we opted to add the finger choil. We wanted a narrower blade than the straight spined "Endels" to be able to turn the blade more easily in the middle of a cut, such as on cardboard. Full flat grind, larger belly and a thinner point leaned more to cutting performance for areas such as dressing game.

We tested the pattern witn a higher line version. Then tooled up for the FRN version. FRN is relatively indestructable, our texture offers good traction, even when wet. a 3mm blade with tapers offered a good overall compromise between cutting prowess and strength. The Stretch is a good example of our offering of "safe, reliable high performance". The goal is, "No more than necessary, no less than perfect".

The model has had mixed reviews because of the blade shape, which some feel "looks" wrong. Time will tell. I carry a ZDP version often.

sal

Thanx Zenith. nice explanation.
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Thank you Mr Glesser et al. Knowing the background of a particular knife is important to me. Very much appreciate the replies.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
sal

Post by sal »

A great deal of thought and discussion goes on about each model before we walk the path to production. Some of our models, like the Stretch, have a long history in development. The myriad of details and decisions are weighed carefully. We've been told by other makers and designers that our methods are odd conpared to the industry.

sal
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

sal wrote:A great deal of thought and discussion goes on about each model before we walk the path to production. Some of our models, like the Stretch, have a long history in development. The myriad of details and decisions are weighed carefully. We've been told by other makers and designers that our methods are odd conpared to the industry.

sal

Hi Sal,

I don't think it's odd the way you do things because it's the end result that really matters and you get it right more often than most IMO. :)

Jim