Matriarch 2 as a defensive carry option

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Clodbert

Matriarch 2 as a defensive carry option

Post by Clodbert »

Hello,

New to the forums. I'm looking at the Matriarch 2 (M2) as a defensive carry folder. Can anyone tell me how strong the M2's blade lock is?

While the M2 looks excellent for defensive purposes, I'm also looking at the more affordable Byrd Crossbill and the slightly more affordable Tasman. Are these blades comparable to the M2?

Any additional info or other knife suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Clodbert wrote:Hello,

New to the forums. I'm looking at the Matriarch 2 (M2) as a defensive carry folder. Can anyone tell me how strong the M2's blade lock is?

While the M2 looks excellent for defensive purposes, I'm also looking at the more affordable Byrd Crossbill and the slightly more affordable Tasman. Are these blades comparable to the M2?

Any additional info or other knife suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

It seems pretty stout in pictures but I probably wouldn't use it to shuck walnuts and coconuts.

In pure performance Doc Snubnose performed a meat test and here were the results:

Matriarch1 SE:
Downward slash: 2.25"
Thrust/downward pull: 5"/2.5"
Horizontal slash 2.25"

Crossbill PE:
Thrust/downward pull: 6.5"/2.75"
Horizontal slash 2.5"

That said, numbers are numbers. The most important thing is how you feel with each one and the training you have. Even compared to a G10 Crossbill the Matriarch2/Tasman will be quite a bit lighter/slimmer in pocket. Probably more important is how good your attorney is because in the event you live and end up in court either one is going to leave a Steven King novel in it's wake.

I would predict the Yojimbo2 to outshine both by a fair margin. Something like a Delica would look better in the evidence bag but that is neither here nor there. :)

Note: He has a test of the Merlin someplace which is quite similar to the Tasman. It fared excellently. The curved blades do give quite a bit more tip aggression for slashing but aren't as often seen as the stabbers of the bunch. Again, probably inconsequential in the world of blade defense compared to the other huge factors: Justification of use, deployment, technique, court, etc.
PARATOM

Post by PARATOM »

Blerv wrote:It seems pretty stout in pictures but I probably wouldn't use it to shuck walnuts and coconuts.

In pure performance Doc Snubnose performed a meat test and here were the results:

Matriarch1 SE:
Thrust/downward pull: 5"/2.5"
Horizontal slash 2.25"

Crossbill PE:
Thrust/downward pull: 6.5"/2.75"
Horizontal slash 2.5"

That said, numbers are numbers. The most important thing is how you feel with each one and the training you have. Probably more important is how good your attorney is because in the event you live and end up in court either one is going to leave a Steven King novel in it's wake.

I would predict the Yojimbo2 to outshine both by a fair margin. Something like a Delica would look better in the evidence bag but that is neither here nor there. :)
Great response and i agree, but the Yo 2 cant outshine IF NO ONE CAN GET ONE!!!!!! Where are those babies at??? I thought April was the lucky month and now we are already half way through May and no word... :mad:
[LEFT]Para 2 digi cam/DLC | Tenacious PE | Sage 1 | Delica 4 FFG | Manix 2 | Dragonfly 2 H1 | Yojimbo 2 | SmallFly digi cam R | Citadel DLC R[/LEFT]
There are two kinds of people in this world, you're either somebody or nobody...
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

PARATOM wrote:Great response and i agree, but the Yo 2 cant outshine IF NO ONE CAN GET ONE!!!!!! Where are those babies at??? I though April was the lucky month and now we are already half way through May and no word!
No crap! I just want one to eviscerate my chip bags :)
Clodbert

Post by Clodbert »

Blerv: Thanks for that informative post.

I searched for the Merlin and it appears it's no longer in production by Spyderco. Is that true? It looks like a great blade. Also, unless my Googling skills are awful, it looks like the Crossbill no longer comes with a G10 handle. I'm unsure about purchasing a second-hand knife online so at this point, so my search for a tactical folder is limited to current production models.

Admittedly I have no formal defensive knife training and from what I've read online, the Matriarch and similar Spyderco knives are designed for individuals who have little training.

Thanks for your reply.
rycen

Post by rycen »

The merlin is no longer made but you can get a fully rustproof version of the merlin called the tasman salt.
We would rather be the knife in your pocket, because is "works" better, than the knife in your showcase, because it "looks" better.

sal
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Clodbert wrote:Admittedly I have no formal defensive knife training and from what I've read online, the Matriarch and similar Spyderco knives are designed for individuals who have little training.
I think this idea that the Matriarch is ideal for untrained defensive use is a bit overstated. As explained by Blerv in another thread, these knives are made to do one thing well: deliver an effective pull-cut. It's obviously good for slashing too, but perhaps not better than a more conventional blade. If a pull-cut isn't the most obvious reaction you have to a threat then I'm not sure the M2 is ideal. Also if you have a more conventional knife for EDC you're more likely to be more familiar with it.

Disclaimer: I have never been in a knife fight, never trained with knives, I'm just some guy who has a similar knife and wouldn't choose it for defensive use.
All God's critters have knives.
Clodbert

Post by Clodbert »

Interesting point, zhyla. I do have a quality EDC folder but I would like something more geared towards self defense if **** ever hits the fan.

Would it be wise to focus on the more conventional Spyderco knives? I've heard excellent things about the Endura and am intrigued by the Resilence G10. Still, it's hard to get over the "cool" factor of a hawkbill or reverse "S" blade.

Thanks.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

The Tasman is a great choice. Plain Edge doesn't hold quite the edge that SE does but they get sharp very easily.

Personally I like to be in the clear by legal length first and foremost. After that it's a situation of what you will enjoy carrying/using the most. Frankly you are in heaps of trouble even if you use a Ladybug Tattoo to defend yourself seemingly anywhere that doesn't have a "Stand your ground" law like Florida. That said, if things go bad and are able to walk away from a situation I would rather face the courts than the cemetery.

For the situations where you get jumped and can't get to the knife or have to deal with a belligerent drunk it might be wise to practice a solid jab/cross and basic ground techniques.

Knife defense really is similar to gun defense...drastically overpowered/outnumbered. Typically the idealized dark alley situation where Batman or Spiderman makes an appearance. :)
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

I would like to add to Blerv's good advice: run! (if you can)
Clodbert wrote:Still, it's hard to get over the "cool" factor of a hawkbill or reverse "S" blade.
It's important to not let weaponlust interfere with choosing the right tool for an important job. It's ok to buy a knife just because it's cool and leave it on the shelf. Personally, all of my knives are fairly normal EDC types. If I'm going some place unfamiliar I tend to grab something a little longer than I do just going to work. Ease/reliability of deployment and a little bit longer reach is what I want in a "defensive" knife, but it's also got to be useful for regular tasks.

Stay safe!
Clodbert

Post by Clodbert »

Some excellent points in the two previous posts. Escaping danger, or avoiding it all together, is by far the best choice when in public.

I will continue to shop around for a Spyderco knife that fits my needs. Other input is appreciated.

When the time comes to buy, it looks like I'll have to purchase one online, as I've never seen a Spyderco product in any store. Any suggestions for which online retailer to use?

Thanks.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Matriarch is based on the Endura, shares pretty much everything aside from the blade, so lock strength should be similar. Mike Janich, Spyderco's SD expert, carries an Endura with a modified blade on occasion, so he must have some degree of faith in it's lock.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Minibear453

Post by Minibear453 »

Do you naturally slash or stab? For me, I usually slash, but now and then I do a stab. To find out, all I did was just spar someone with sticks. :D But it does do well to find out which type of attack you are used to. If you stab, then obviously a matriarch is out. If you slash, then it can be considered.

However, a matriarch doesn't look good in court, since it's marketed as a defensive weapon of sorts. I'd just go with a more "normal" knife, not marketed for SD, and usable for other applications. I'd go with an Endura or Delica, especially since they have trainers.
Carry a sharp knife, and life will never be dull
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

There are a ton of nice shops. Cutleryshoppe.com seems to have some great deals, knifecenter.com one of the better selections and websites. Plenty others like New Graham Knives and Howes are top rated.
Clodbert

Post by Clodbert »

The points about not buying the most menacing-looking blade were well-received. While I don't use a pocket knife very frequently, it's still a good idea to have a folder that allows for both everyday use and, should I need it, defensive use.

The Endura4 FRN and the Resilence G10 are two Spyderco knives I really like, and I'm having a tough time deciding between the two as EDC/defensive options. If anyone can shed some light on the quality of the Resilence G10, that would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would trust the Endura over the Resiliance. Not that the Chinese Spyderco is bad I just trust a Seki lock more and it's probably more comfortable to carry.

Any 3.75"-4.5" blade is going to be menacing to many. I would just pick the one you want. Do know that only about 10%ish counties allow such a blade for legal carry so while rare if a cop measures your blade you could potentially be in trouble.

Then again, stay out of trouble and I doubt it will be an issue. If you're a rational person you probably have a better chance of getting struck by lightning than getting in a knife fight.
BAL

Post by BAL »

Welcome Clodbert. Personally, I would go with an Endura over the Resilience for SD.
I have and like both, but the shape of the Endura blade seems to be to be a better
SD blade than the wider Resilience.

I have carried an Endura for protection before and felt comfortable with it. To me
the Yojimbo 2 is as goods as it gets, but you can't protect your family with a copy of
your preorder sheet. The Massad Ayoob is at the top of the list as well, but it isn't a
cheap knife.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Clodbert wrote:If anyone can shed some light on the quality of the Resilence G10, that would be appreciated.
I bought an Ambitious for somebody and handled it quite a bit. Same construction as the Resilience, just way smaller. I was very impressed with it. I don't think you'll regret it unless you just like the Endura blade shape better.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

to be honest, If I could have only 1 knife from spyderco for SD, it would be the Yo1