Update on the Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
casey1

Update on the Stretch?

Post by casey1 »

2 questions: Are they still working on that flat back version? and did they ever fix the warped blade issues found in this thread?

http://www.spyderco.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40499

Thanks. Just curious
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

AFAIK, Sal has neither ruled out or committed to offering a flat spined Stretch, but I believe there's still a good chance we'll see one, either as a Sprint or Limited Production piece. I suspect the "problem" was, at best, an isolated incident. If not, it was probably something confined to a few specimens of the CF version, which is no longer in production. Between the ones I still own, and the ones I've given as gifts, I've had my hands on at least a half dozen of the FRN ones, and none have had off centered blades.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

Mine is centered and not warped too. ZDP-189/Blue FRN.

I have yet to see anything of a notice or recall on Stretch so as mentioned it seems an isolated. In fact, and I say this trying to not sound like a seething fanboi but I don't recall having anyone confirm their model was "warped" via Spyderco W&R. They have a tenancy to replace and fix situations and people usually share their experiences so perhaps I'm wrong but never saw it.

If anyone has sent their knife in, it was confirmed warped, and action was taken, please let us know.
Papa_K

Post by Papa_K »

I just bought my second Stretch, the VG-10 Black FRN version. No warped blade on this one, or my earlier ZDP-189 (BRG FRN) Stretch.
To me, there's nothing about the Stretch that requires change. I like it just the way it is, but I would like to see a G-10 version, or sprint.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Slightly off centered blades are not a problem for me. One of my all time favorites has it............Calypso Jr, Gray.
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
Zencowboy

Post by Zencowboy »

I like the Stretch as it is...only would like more sprint runs with different steels:-)
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

Seems to me the warpage problems were with the mule, but my memory is fuzzy on that one, too.
—Daniel Jackson
Donut

Post by Donut »

I don't know why anyone would want to change a perfect knife.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
shotcaller88

Post by shotcaller88 »

Donut wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to change a perfect knife.
The stretch pretty much is perfect. The cf version is one of my favorite EDC's. I would really love to see g-10 + premium steels.

I will definitely buy any new stretch at all!
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

JacksonKnives wrote:Seems to me the warpage problems were with the mule, but my memory is fuzzy on that one, too.
The problem with the ZDP Mule was that it was brittle and cracked. IIRC, official word was that it wasn't a heat treat issue but something about the chemical makeup of that particular batch of steel or something along those lines...

There were problems with the Caly Jr. blades warping. If memory serves me correctly, that was one of the issues that led to it being discontinued.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
angusW

Post by angusW »

That's the first I've heard of a warped Stretch. My carbon fiber, ZDP Stretch is pretty much centered and don't have any issue with it rubbing when opening. I'm not doubting it happened on a few of them but I would bet for the most part most of them are centered.
Member of the LH Military club.

My Spydies
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

My stretch is slightly off-center. Green zdp. Maybe a little but of rub, not bad. Still haven't found a way to fix it.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

One of the things about the Stretch that makes it great is the curved spine IMO. We have different models from Spyderco giving us many choices. We can't get everything though. I like the Stretch handle and the blade spine as is. Someone else may want the Stretch handle and a straight spine. I believe Spyderco has enough straight spines. One thing I like about the GB is the "not-straight" spine. Gives it an obvious different look and sometimes a difference in performance. Different performance would be very limited but as an example the Stretch was mentioned a while back to be a good knife to cut around the anus of a deer when dressing it. Kind of a gross example to some but a "I need that feature" example to others. But I can't see where a straight spine on the Stretch would make it better. Others may have reasons it would be better. I also wonder what Spyderco would have to do to get the straight spine for a Stretch. My vote is leave the Stretch as is.

Jack
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

Donut wrote:I don't know why anyone would want to change a perfect knife.
Add a deep pocket clip, and I would completely agree with you.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Onionman wrote:Add a deep pocket clip, and I would completely agree with you.
I'm finding out that pocket clips can be made to a user's specs with little cost (or effort) and it won't void the warranty as long as you don't do more that what would normally be done in changing the location of the clip. I like this. I put a wire clip on my GB but I had to carve grooves in the CF. I didn't have to take the knife apart so I wonder if that would void the warranty? Doesn't matter on mine because I've disassembled it 137 times. Please don't tell Spyderco. sssshhhhhh :)

Jack

Jack
Onionman

Post by Onionman »

jackknifeh wrote:I'm finding out that pocket clips can be made to a user's specs with little cost (or effort) and it won't void the warranty as long as you don't do more that what would normally be done in changing the location of the clip. I like this. I put a wire clip on my GB but I had to carve grooves in the CF. I didn't have to take the knife apart so I wonder if that would void the warranty? Doesn't matter on mine because I've disassembled it 137 times. Please don't tell Spyderco. sssshhhhhh :)
I have seen the threads with the custom deep pocket clips and saw your GB with the wire clip (really nice by the way). While I could do that if I really needed it, the custom clips look custom and just don't look like they belong on a Spyderco. I guess what I am saying is that I want a bug on my clip! Seeing how other companies made deep pocket clips that screw on the side of the handle, how hard would it be for Spyderco to fashion a deep pocket clip sold separately. With the support I have seen for something like this in the forum, this would be a great seller.
The important thing was that I had an onion tied to my belt, which was the style at the time. You couldn't get white onions, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
phillipsted

Post by phillipsted »

Onionman wrote:I have seen the threads with the custom deep pocket clips and saw your GB with the wire clip (really nice by the way). While I could do that if I really needed it, the custom clips look custom and just don't look like they belong on a Spyderco. I guess what I am saying is that I want a bug on my clip! Seeing how other companies made deep pocket clips that screw on the side of the handle, how hard would it be for Spyderco to fashion a deep pocket clip sold separately. With the support I have seen for something like this in the forum, this would be a great seller.
STR made me a nice thin hourglass shaped deep-ride pocket clip for my FRN stretch. We worked to get it just right so it sits down deep in the pocket yet the clip rests against the smooth Spyderco patch on the FRN so it doesn't tear up your pants pocket on the way out. Great mod.

TedP