My first XHP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kwik9

My first XHP

Post by kwik9 »

Just picked up a Manix 2 CTS - XHP NIB! I really like the look and feel of the foliage green g-10 scales, and the blade came scary sharp out of the box. I will try to post pics later. What a fantastic knife! :)
KardinalSyn

Post by KardinalSyn »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
:spyder: Centofante3 (C66PBK3), ParaMilitary2 (C81GPCMO), Endura4 (C10P), GrassHopper (C138P), Military (C36GPCMO), Perrin PPT (C135GP), Squeak (C154PBK), Dragonfly 2 Salt (C28PYL2), Military M390 CF (C36CFM390P), R (C67GF), ParaMilitary2 CTS-XHP (C81GPOR2), Tuff (C151GTIP), Ladybug & Perrin Street Bowie (FB04PBB)being the newest.
dbcad

Post by dbcad »

Welcome kwick9 :)

Spyderco does spoil us with cutting edge materials at reasonable prices ;)
Charlie

" Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler."

[CENTER]"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"[/CENTER]
kwik9

Post by kwik9 »

Is there anything I should know about sharpening XHP?
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

Welcome. I find CTS-XHP to be fairly easy to sharpen and to hold an edge well. If you don't have a lot of sharpening experience or equipment, the SM-204 SharpMaker is easy to learn and use for almost anything with a blade smaller than a sword (it could work for them, but is much more intuitive for knife blade lengths)
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

I have a Military model in CTS-XHP. Seems as easy to sharpen as anything else. Second the vote on getting a Sharpmaker and that will work fin. CTS-XHP does seem to hold it's edge a bit longer and it really takes a fine edge without a lot of fuss. Very happy with it thus far.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

kwik9 wrote:Is there anything I should know about sharpening XHP?
IDK what your sharpening skill level is, but I reprofiled and mirror polished mine on an Edge Pro, and it's takes a screaming polished edge. It's pretty easy to touch up on a sharpmaker. I wouldn't go too low with your angle without a microbevel, probably 20-25 degrees inclusive (10-12.5 degrees per side). Enjoy your new knife.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
kwik9

Post by kwik9 »

defenestrate wrote:Welcome. I find CTS-XHP to be fairly easy to sharpen and to hold an edge well. If you don't have a lot of sharpening experience or equipment, the SM-204 SharpMaker is easy to learn and use for almost anything with a blade smaller than a sword (it could work for them, but is much more intuitive for knife blade lengths)
I have a Lansky system, but I may pick up a Sharpmaker as well.
Scottie3000

Post by Scottie3000 »

The lansky system is a quality system and works well. I find it very cumbersome to use and much prefer the Sharpmaker for occasional touch-ups. Keep the Lansky for reprofiling and heavier jobs.
On order: Maxamet Native 5
Current pocket hog: S90V Para2
Next up: Something Blurple
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

Welcome to here. I'm sure that Manix2 is a great knife. Never had XHP yet but should have the steel in a few months. Please feel free to post any opinions you get regarding XHP compared to other steels.

Jack
rg02

Post by rg02 »

I love XHP I have on my Military. Easy to sharpen and takes and holds a wicked sharp edge. Manix 2 is a great platform---should treat you well!
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

kwik9 wrote:Just picked up a Manix 2 CTS - XHP NIB! I really like the look and feel of the foliage green g-10 scales, and the blade came scary sharp out of the box. I will try to post pics later. What a fantastic knife! :)
Do you mind sharing where you found your Manix.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
kwik9

Post by kwik9 »

Ferris Wheels wrote:Do you mind sharing where you found your Manix.
A local dealer who is part of the "collectors club".
kwik9

Post by kwik9 »

Let the discussion begin.......
Would anyone in their right mind EDC this knife, considering what it is? Of course it would be great, but the fact that it is not readily replaceable justifies hesitation. What say you?
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

My CTS XHP Millie gets carried regularly. If I lose it, I lose it. It's just a knife.
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

It really depends on you and what brings you happiness. Whether that is taking it out of the safe and fondling the knife, wiping it down, putting it back in its box and returning it to the safe or using it to cut anything and everything you can think of so that you have an excuse to sharpen and try to get it sharper than it came from the factory. Only you can decide what is going to make you happy.

If it was my knife it would be clipped inside my pocket while I searched for an excuse to use it.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

I find that I get my money's worth by using a knife. I like to try different steels and if I didn't use it, I might as well have gotten a knife in 420j2.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

I would carry it because while XHP is awesome so are many other steels the Manix2 is bound to see (and has already). I think the M4 one is still available even.
jackknifeh

Post by jackknifeh »

kwik9 wrote:Let the discussion begin.......
Would anyone in their right mind EDC this knife, considering what it is? Of course it would be great, but the fact that it is not readily replaceable justifies hesitation. What say you?
I would carry the knife and use it hard if the need arose. Of course, no one has accused me of being in my right mind. :) If I don't use the knife I don't get much pleasure in owning it, much less a replacement. My replacements are other models. I can't carry my Sage 4 right now so I carry my GB. Not really a big sacrifice since I know I'm getting the Sage back. :)

I hope you enjoy the knife in any way you desire. One man's wasted $ is another man's $ well spent. :D

Jack
rg02

Post by rg02 »

Life is too short!!! I carry and use all my Spydies including my dodo, m4 Manix 2, XHp Millie, m390 PM2, and Caly 3.5 superblue. If you use your spydie for what it is intended for, you should never have any issues :D
-Ryan

-Techno, cruwear Mule, Dragonfly 2 FRN, Assist, Endura FRN ATS-55 SE, Endura SS aus-6 PE, Persistence(Wife's)
-Wicked Edge