Future mule steel hopefuls. I would love to see.....

A place to share your experience with our Mule Team knives.
The Mastiff

Future mule steel hopefuls. I would love to see.....

Post by The Mastiff »

Something along the lines of.......

Please keep Spyderco in mind before you ask for something that will
1) cause them to go broke
2) wear out their equipment and cause revolts on the shop floor
3) Be impossible to get, dangerous to work, or belongs to another who won't share ( yes, I'll use Infi as an example)

So, I'll begin with an old one but a great one

W2 Alloy steel that, like 52100, makes better knives than it's composition might suggest. I'd run it at rc 61-62 personally. A bit above where I'd put a production model in this steel. It does differential tempering well though that wouldn't be needed or desired in a mule. Strength: excellent edges, nice bite and likes thin edges. Pretty low carbides but higher performance than you would think,

CPM 154 What can I say? It's great stuff and can reach a solid rc 61-62. It bears no resemblance to production 154cm at a real rc 61-62. It still sharpens easier. Strengths, wear resistance, tough for a stainless. Takes great edges for stainless.

4V Between 3V and CPM M4. Tougher than M4, greater wear than 3V. Sounds really nice. Still relatively unknown

10V/A11 Jim Ankerson has covered it well. About the peak of performance achievable in production knives after some things have been worked out. No, I wouldn't blame Sal for nixing this one.S110V would be a stainless tool steel that the same arguments can be used for and against.10V can be run about a point higher ( my max hardness S110V Phil Wilson is at around Rc 64)

I'll leave it to other mule team aficionados.

I salute the greatest ongoing project in the history of the commercial cutlery industry. Thanks Sal and Eric, and team Spyderco.

Joe
"A Mastiff is to a dog what a Lion is to a housecat. He stands alone and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race" Cynographia Britannic 1800

"Unless you're the lead dog the view is pretty much gonna stay the same!"
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I agree with Joe here.

Some things on A11/10V/K294. :)

This is not your Dads carbon steel... ;)

It's a high alloy, extremely high wear resistant steel that can be run at very high hardness and it's not brittle even at high hardness around 64/65 HRC.

While clearly not for everyone, especially those who are sharpening challenged due to talent or proper tools due to the extreme wear resistance and high hardness range.

Steels like S90V are nothing compared to this difficulty wise and if those who find ZDP hard to sharpen will have real trouble, but it's very fine grained and will take a very fine edge, that is it will get incredibly sharp with the proper tools.

It's a steel that will cut basically forever, it will just keep cutting and cutting so it's a great user steel for those who want the ultimate in edge retention.

I put it and S110V at high hardness (64-65) in the same category edge retention wise with A11 having the most.

A11/10V/K294 is my standard for edge retention..
DeathBySnooSnoo

Post by DeathBySnooSnoo »

Hmm...both the 4V and 10V sound interesting. I would be happy with either.
On the hunt for...
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

would K390 be too much to ask, or would K294 be "better" (better wear resistance/toughness)?
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I would love to try a mule platform in CPM154 and have yet to try carpenter's version of BG-42 (IIRC it's BD75)
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
Donut

Post by Donut »

I wouldn't mind trying out A2, also, but I think I'm all muled out.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I would not be able to resist any of these exotic mules, even if I tried.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Cheygriz

Post by Cheygriz »

K294/K390, 10V,4V, and how about 0170-6?
kbuzbee

Post by kbuzbee »

Add me to the K390 list.

Ken
玉鋼
Ferris Wheels

Post by Ferris Wheels »

I am going to jump on the k390 list also.
Current :spyder: : Para2's Brown, Blue & Orange, Etched Spin, CF Caly3 ZDP189, Gayle Bradley, UKPK Orange G10, Manix2 M4, Sage 1, Caly 3.5 in Super Blue, Urban Orange G10
xavierdoc

Post by xavierdoc »

K390 would be good to try (and on the way...?)

K294 is great- I hang my head in shame at the patination on my only K294 blade (got to look after this stuff!)
UKPK G10, UKPK Ti, Para 2CF&20CP, Stretch CF, Stretch CF conv, Manix2 M4,Endura Wave, Endura ZDP189, Pacific Salt, Captain, Gunting S30v, P'Kal, Gayle Bradley,Atlantic Salt, Spyderhawk, Crossbill, Wings slipit
Mules: CTSBD1, Super Blue, S90V, VG10, S35VN, Cos-3, M390 Fixed: Bushcraft, Warrior
cckw

Post by cckw »

As long as it is a higher end steel I'll buy 2. No particular preferences though.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

xavierdoc wrote:K390 would be good to try (and on the way...?)

K294 is great- I hang my head in shame at the patination on my only K294 blade (got to look after this stuff!)

I spray my K294 blade down with PAM after use, no patina at all. :D
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

10V would be sweet once machining an whatnot are worked out.
-
Happy, Happy, Happy! Peel, Peel, Peel!
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Haven't heard enough about K390 but intrigued by what I have heard. In for this one when it comes out. Hope I can sharpen it.
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

afaik, k390s only advantage is it holds hardness at higher heat,. I may be wrong. I would buy a mule in the steel in a heartbeat
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

razorsharp wrote:afaik, k390s only advantage is it holds hardness at higher heat,. I may be wrong. I would buy a mule in the steel in a heartbeat
HUH?

K390 is slightly easier to work with than K294 and is supposed to be slightly tougher, but from my source they are very close with K294 having the edge in wear resistance at the same hardness.
JCP1969

Post by JCP1969 »

Considering that 2 out of the 3 steels in Jim's category 1 testing have been used as Mules .

How about some CTS- 20cp.

James
I believe in safe queens , they do exist!
RevDevil

Post by RevDevil »

I'd also love a Mule in CPM154, and in A2. Those would be terrific options. If I could choose an exotic steel, it would be either 4V or 10V.
sal

Post by sal »

cckw wrote:As long as it is a higher end steel I'll buy 2. No particular preferences though.
Mules are not necessarily "high end" (thoughh some are), they are relatively unavailable except in expensive special ordered customs.

sal